QM2 mobile phones and internet

LillianB

I know this has probably been answered several times but I can't fine an up to date thread. Does anyone know the best way to use mobile phones and internet whilst at sea? Necessary to keep in touch as we have an elderly father who is not well.

I am with o2 and just added a bolt on for travel in europe ( we are on QE on Sat ) which charges £1.99 per day if phone used to make calls/texts/data use , free to receive texts & calls .

No charge if phone not used on any day .

We were in a similar situation a couple of years ago. the O2 bolt ons only work in EU waters, once you are out of range of an EU provider your phone will automatically connect to a maritime network. This is very expensive - so don't leave roaming on. The ship will have a satellite tel number. I suggest you give your family the number and ask them to call you if they feel it necessary to contact you. The ship will get a message to you. If you are a regular with Cunard you will get some free wifi time. You can use it to check emails (it can be slow) I don't know what type of cruise you are on but it sounds like a European one. The crew usually know where to pick up good free wifi - they are usually very visible logging on as you walk through the cruise terminal.

I know this has probably been answered several times but I can't fine an up to date thread. Does anyone know the best way to use mobile phones and internet whilst at sea? Necessary to keep in touch as we have an elderly father who is not well.

Consider using text messages ? Ask your relatives or whoever to send you a text messages first. Remember they are free to receive, and then if anything urgent occurs you can then make the choice ?

Also if you have any internet time you could also try Skype or other VOIP services. These can allow you to make telephone calls using the ships internet system at reasonable cost.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use T-Mobile which has a great "wifi calling" feature. I used it this week to make a couple of calls from using the QM2 internet. Worked fine. But it is too expensive to remain connected full time. My strategy was to log onto the internet for a few minutes every 6 hours or so. If I got a message I then responded.