Warnemunde Molli Train Excursions

nt13

My family of four (which include two children ages 6 and 10) plans to to ride the Molli train at our Warnemunde stop. I see we can get there by train, but am considering an excursion instead. Does anyone know of any tour companies that do this instead of a ship excursion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is incredibly easy and much cheaper to DIY it. German trains are fast and efficient with plenty of station announcements, usually on screen and orally, so no danger of missing your stop. Gives you plenty of free time to wander to the beach or through the town befor Molli starts your journey back.

One tip for German (and most other European trains) is you must validate your ticket at the little boxes on the platform before boarding the train.

One tip for German (and most other European trains) is you must validate your ticket at the little boxes on the platform before boarding the train.

Correct but please note that this only applies to local transport tickets. These are small oblong tickets and fit in the boxes for validation on the local s-Bahn train platforms and inside buses, trams and ferries. Local transport runs on an honour system with random ticket inspection.

Regional and long distance train tickets are much bigger and certainly would not fit. They will always be checked on the train by a ticket inspector.

BTW Molli is a great day out and, as stated, very easy to DIY.

Please see my web site for details.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
extra info
  • Like 1

Thank you all! We may do it ourselves but I am still also interested in an excursion if anyone knows one.

One question, do you take the Molli one way and then go back from the stop to Warnemunde or take it roundtrip to Bad Doberan?

Thank you all! We may do it ourselves but I am still also interested in an excursion if anyone knows one.

One question, do you take the Molli one way and then go back from the stop to Warnemunde or take it roundtrip to Bad Doberan?

The Molli just goes between Bad Doberan and Kuhlungsborn West and back again, though you can of course just do it one way. What we did was get the bus to Bad Doberan (about 40 mins), get the Molli to K'born West, walk along the beach and had lunch at one of the many eateries, got the Molli at K'born East back to Bad Doberan, walked across the platform and got the local train to Rostock then the tram into the town, walked round the town, tram back to Rostock station and then train back to Warnemunde! Sounds like a lot, but we left the ship about 0930 and got back about 0600 after a great (cheap) day out.

Simon

• Like 1

Sorry but I still didn't get it right - is train to Molli considered local or long-distance? Tickets should be booked in advance or it is ok to buy them on platform?

Hi, the trains between Warnemuende and Bad Doberan (s-Bahn to Rostock Hbf and RB to Bad Doberan) to catch the Molli are part of the local transport system. Tickets cannot be bought in advance. They can be bought from the ticket machine on the platform or from the ticket office. You will need a 3 zone ticket. For more details please see the 'tickets' page on my web site.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

I agree with others - it is easy to DIY on the Molli but if you want everything planned for you, then Alla Tours offers this excursion - HANSEATIC ROSTOCK AND MOLLI STEAM TRAIN TOUR

You can contact them via email at: info@alla-tour.com

• Like 1

Has anyone ever taken a taxi to and from? It appears the cost is around 40 euros each way but it takes half the time by car than train to get there. I am not opposed to the train, but to save time and for ease would be interested in a taxi. Thoughts?

Also, I see there is a bus as well. Any advantages of the bus over the train?

Thank you all for so kindly answering my questions!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this has been covered, but we dock at LP41 in Rostock. It appears there are buses from the port to get me to the train station, but how do I buy my family/group ticket to Bad Doberman if my starting point is LP41? I'm assuming there is no ticket office or machine at the port, but perhaps that is not the case.

• 2 years later...
On 5/31/2017 at 2:11 AM, nt13 said:

Has anyone ever taken a taxi to and from? It appears the cost is around 40 euros each way but it takes half the time by car than train to get there. I am not opposed to the train, but to save time and for ease would be interested in a taxi. Thoughts?

Also, I see there is a bus as well. Any advantages of the bus over the train?

Thank you all for so kindly answering my questions!

I would be interested to hear about this also re bus or train advantage … and yes, taxi sounds easy!

8 hours ago, shudie said:

I would be interested to hear about this also re bus or train advantage … and yes, taxi sounds easy!

Hi, the difference is time and convenience.  The bus takes 34 mins direct, no changes.  The train takes 58 mins plus time to change trains in Rostock main station. Fare in either the bus or train is 4euro each way or 8.40euro for a day ticket which covers all pubic transport in the area , all day.  Useful if you want to go by bus and return by train and include a quick visit to Rostock.

Happy cruising 😊

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Travelanni said:

Hi, the difference is time and convenience.  The bus takes 34 mins direct, no changes.  The train takes 58 mins plus time to change trains in Rostock main station. Fare in either the bus or train is 4euro each way or 8.40euro for a day ticket which covers all pubic transport in the area , all day.  Useful if you want to go by bus and return by train and include a quick visit to Rostock.

Happy cruising 😊

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

That's great - the bus it is 🙂 

On 5/29/2017 at 4:59 PM, Travelanni said:

Hi, the trains between Warnemuende and Bad Doberan (s-Bahn to Rostock Hbf and RB to Bad Doberan) to catch the Molli are part of the local transport system. Tickets cannot be bought in advance. They can be bought from the ticket machine on the platform or from the ticket office. You will need a 3 zone ticket. For more details please see the 'tickets' page on my web site.

Happy cruising 🙂

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks for your great website, Anni!

• 1 year later...
On 7/26/2021 at 3:31 PM, LilBe said:

Anni has provided some very useful advice. I just want to get into this conversation because I love going to Germany and my favorite means of transportation is trains.

Before the pandemic hit and I was unable to travel, I used to go to Germany a lot and explore the country by train. Because of my experience in the field, I want to recommend to everyone a great way to travel by train in Germany. Here it is https://www.dbfahrplanauskunft.com/de/. Some people have undoubtedly heard about it, but I wanted to enlighten anyone who isn’t yet aware. Hope this is helpful to someone.