Arriving FCO Airport at 9:05 a.m. on cruise day - ok to get to Civi???

NJ&Ozzie

Hi,

We are planning to arrive at FCO Airport on Oct. 25th for cruise leaving Civi at 5 pm that day. Wondering if this is a good idea. Supposed to be a shuttle leaving FCO about 12:30 pm. Sounds like a no brainer but am I missing something?

In the past,have flown in night before, taken train to Civi & hotel for the night before cruise.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

NJ

If your shuttle actually leaves at 12:30, you will be at Civitaviccheia around 1:30, if your travel does not encounter any unexpected road problem. Hope you do not encounter any. Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by easyboy

In my opinion I would do what you have done prior....Fly in the day before...I like to know my ship and I are in the same city the day we leave. I do not even trust flying in the same day in the states to the Caribbean....ENJOY!!

Where is your next port? If it's somewhere like Naples, then I'd say you could relax. If the worst happens, and your flight is REALLY delayed, you could easily get to the ship at the first stop if you needed to. When I have a Plan A and a Plan B, I don't worry so much.

Where is your next port? If it's somewhere like Naples, then I'd say you could relax. If the worst happens, and your flight is REALLY delayed, you could easily get to the ship at the first stop if you needed to. When I have a Plan A and a Plan B, I don't worry so much.

Hi,

We are at sea the next day & then Nice. So if we miss cruise, it's a hassle. Think we'll check out shuttles a bit more. Maybe not worth the stress. Haven taken train in a couple times before - it's very doable but maybe shuttle if we're feeling lazy.

Thanks to all for your thoughts!

NJ

I'd say it depends where you are flying into FCO from. If its from Canada (or Puerto Rico), I would arrive the day before and relax in a nice hotel with a bowl of pasta and a nice bottle of red.

If you are just coming from , say, London or Frankfurt, I would stress less about arriving on the day of the cruise. Lots of flights into Rome.

I'd say it depends where you are flying into FCO from. If its from Canada (or Puerto Rico), I would arrive the day before and relax in a nice hotel with a bowl of pasta and a nice bottle of red.

If you are just coming from , say, London or Frankfurt, I would stress less about arriving on the day of the cruise. Lots of flights into Rome.

We are flying in from Toronto. And yes, it is nice to spend some time relaxing in Civi. We've already booked Hotel Traghetto - there's a neat little pizza place around the corner & grocery store for vino. Sounds like I'm settling into the idea of flying in the night before!! Not a fan of stress. Altho I know people do fly in same day. Have to think about this seriously...

Thanks.

NJ

The Port of Civitavecchia runs a shared shuttle service from FCO to the PORT. Check their website to see if there are any groups started for the time you need to be picked up. If not, you can start a group yourself and people can join it. For at least 4 people the cost is around $35 eu pp. All info is on their website:

http://www.civitavecchiaport.org/shared-shuttle-service/#join

We are flying in from Toronto. And yes, it is nice to spend some time relaxing in Civi. We've already booked Hotel Traghetto - there's a neat little pizza place around the corner & grocery store for vino. Sounds like I'm settling into the idea of flying in the night before!! Not a fan of stress. Altho I know people do fly in same day. Have to think about this seriously...

Thanks.

NJ

Good choice, I think!

There is also a small beach (nothing too flash, but OK for a splash about). Its located pretty close to the train station, towards the cruise port. Some little restaurants with WiFi are also there. And some funky statues along the promenade. You should have a nice day / evening and can watch all the ships of the day depart.

Thanks.

NJ

Hope you have a direct flight from Toronto. There was no direct one the day we flew. We ended up missing the connection in Montreal (construction delayed our takeoff) and then there were a few other problems. Giuseppe was waiting at the Hotel Traghetto when we arrived at midnight. Thank goodness it was the day before the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hope you have a direct flight from Toronto. There was no direct one the day we flew. We ended up missing the connection in Montreal (construction delayed our takeoff) and then there were a few other problems. Giuseppe was waiting at the Hotel Traghetto when we arrived at midnight. Thank goodness it was the day before the cruise.

Hi,

Pretty much convinced we're taking flight day before. Not worth stress. Hotel Traghetto is not the fancies of places but works for us. Giuseppe is great & so are his staff. Looking forward to spending an evening there.

NJ

Hi NJ

Good decision. We had planned a having some pizza, getting some wine and relaxing. All those plans went out the window. It took a couple of days on the cruise to recuperate but it was a great cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Good info! What if you don't plan to get a transfer beforehand, but after you pick up your luggage?Does FCO have an area where you can go to arrange a transfer? Are buses available?

Edited by IsanTom

• 1 month later...
Hi NJ

Good decision. We had planned a having some pizza, getting some wine and relaxing. All those plans went out the window. It took a couple of days on the cruise to recuperate but it was a great cruise.

Sounds like a plan. Luv the little pizza place around the corner from Traghetto. Buy our vino at the grocery store down the street too. Giuseppe is so great. Can't wait to get there in October!

NJ

Last year we flew into Barcelona two days before our cruise. There were people on the flight who had a cruise that day. The flight was delayed several hours and to add to it there were problems getting the luggage after the plane landed. At one point the cruise line rep told the folks that they had to choose between going with her to the ship or waiting for their luggage and catching up with the ship. The line for luggage claim was so long that telling them where to ship the luggage was not an option.

Three years ago we flew into Venice the morning of check in and everything worked like clockwork. However, we did have an overnight in Venice if we were delayed.

With apologies to Jane Austen, "it is a truth universally acknowledged, that a traveler in possession of a cruise ship boarding pass must be in want of a flight that arrives the day before the cruise departs".

That said, for some people in some situations it just isn't possible. The risk of something going so wrong that you miss the ship is pretty small but can feel catastrophic if it happens to you. Having a plan in place for what you would do in the situation can help ease the stress.

Last year we flew into Barcelona two days before our cruise. There were people on the flight who had a cruise that day. The flight was delayed several hours and to add to it there were problems getting the luggage after the plane landed. At one point the cruise line rep told the folks that they had to choose between going with her to the ship or waiting for their luggage and catching up with the ship. The line for luggage claim was so long that telling them where to ship the luggage was not an option.

Maybe it's my training and experience, but I read something like this and can imagine going immediately into problem solving mode. It's not ideal but unless you are traveling alone, in a situation like this I would designate one person to stay behind and deal with all of the luggage while the rest of the family heads to the ship. Maybe the designee makes it, maybe not, but if you've planned ahead and know how to get to the first port you're already ahead of the game.

I think you are making a terrible mistake.

You really are taking a chance that you could miss the ship.

I have been on flights when this has happened but fortunately our flight was not the day of the cruise.

In addition to the risk of missing the ship you begin the cruise jet lagged.

Keith