Dyea Dave - Skagway

Rock712

So, I don't see the cemetery and Lower Reid Falls mentioned in the Emerald Lake Tour - only the town tour. So, is a normal stop along the way?

When we got back to town after being to Emerald Lake and Carcross, Kathy offered to take us by the cemetery and falls....which are right next to each other. Again, couldn't of asked for better personalized service and just a great tour! Book it....just phenomenal. If I could post pictures, I would. (can't get it figured out!)

27041841274_dd5e908ea7_b.jpg

Yup, thats Dave, ya can't miss him!!!:)

Though right now, he doesn't have any hair as he was undergoing chemo for cancer. He is doing fine now. Notice the chick on the side of his car? That is because his car is a chick magnet!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Dyea Daves was our Skagway shore excursion and it did not disappoint. We had Sassy as our guide and she was awesome with our group. The trip was well worth the money spent. She knew a lot of history to share and fun little facts!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, all! I've been debating what to do in Skagway since we'll be there for >13 hrs. Just fired off an email to get reserved for the Emerald Lake tour! After reading this thread, a few others, TripAdvisor reviews, and his site, it just seemed like the perfect tour to do!

Thanks, all! I've been debating what to do in Skagway since we'll be there for >13 hrs. Just fired off an email to get reserved for the Emerald Lake tour! After reading this thread, a few others, TripAdvisor reviews, and his site, it just seemed like the perfect tour to do!

You are going to love it.....the scenery and beauty of the area is incredible. It's a toss up on which port I enjoyed more. Juneau or Skagway......heck the whole trip was fabulous!!

Edited by Mitch2016

We took the Dyea Dave tour on July 12 with Craig. He was great. Helpful about getting good pictures. A good sense of humor. Picked up on time, made sure we got to the second part of our day, the train, on time. Picked us up again after the train. Dropped my husband down town and me at my cruise ship. All that was great...

But lunch... he encouraged us to stop early at a truck stop for lunch. It as a rather odd choice given we later stopped at Carcross where they have a lovely set up with local artisans and some fun coffee and ice cream shops and a restaurant where the food looked great.

I would have rather had longer at Carcross. The shops had a nice variety of hand crafted items that were not usually available in port closer to the cruise ship docks. Lots of lovely places to sit and people watch. And if you have kids there was even a play structure for them to enjoy.

I can't help but wonder if we possibly are where he got a kick back? But I liked Craig so I hope that's not true.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a great day on July 7th with Craig with Dyea Dave. I would highly recommend it. They were so easy to book with and always answered me back quickly if I had any questions. We were a group of 8 and they provided us the large shuttle just for us - so we had our own private tour. We saw everything described previously in this thread - and stopped often for photos which was great. We also stopped at the "Truck Stop" for lunch. I will say though -it was probably one of the best chicken sandwiches I've had in ages.

We saw so much and learned a great deal about all the history of the area. We arrived on time to catch the train back, where Craig met us and took part of our group back to the cruise ship while others stayed in town to shop.

I've read many positive reports on all Dave's guides so I'd be comfortable booking with any of them. But we were lucky enough to be the only 2 for a full day with THE MAN himself. Dave is a one-of-a-kind, authentic Alaska original. He had stories to tell, places to go, humour spouting out of both ears! I'm so sorry to hear about his health issues and wish him a full and speedy recovery. Hope the rhubarb crop is #1 again this year

We did Dyea Dave too! We had Kathy on a 2 person ride to Emerald Lake. Saw a momma bear with her cub. The lake was beautiful. Not to long a ride. You can get your passport stamped at the border crossing. I would recommend the tour.

Yes we are on the Island Princess. We leave this Saturday to spend a few days on Vancouver island and in Vancouver then board the ship next Wednesday. Look forward to meeting you on this tour!

We are leaving Monday and will spend two nights in Vancouver. I wonder if Dyea Dave will have more than one tour to Emerald Lake that day.

Consider joining the roll call for our cruise. It's surprisingly small. I'd love to hear what other excursions you selected and whether you are going on the 4-night land portion following the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

When I called Dyea Dave today to inquire about Sept tour availability, talked briefly with Dave. He was extremely rude and abrupt. Will not be spending my funds to support this type of attitude. Tours may be great, but not worth rude customer service in attempting to book.

When I called Dyea Dave today to inquire about Sept tour availability, talked briefly with Dave. He was extremely rude and abrupt. Will not be spending my funds to support this type of attitude. Tours may be great, but not worth rude customer service in attempting to book.

I have read on here that Dave has been ill and taking chemotherapy - possibly you caught him at a bad time. He has, as far as I can tell, an exemplary reputation here. I toured with him last year and have already scheduled with him for May '18. I have given him two thumbs up many times.

I have read on here that Dave has been ill and taking chemotherapy - possibly you caught him at a bad time. He has, as far as I can tell, an exemplary reputation here. I toured with him last year and have already scheduled with him for May '18. I have given him two thumbs up many times.

Hi, I agree with SuperCrewBear, Dave is very good and does a wonderful job.

We took a tour through Dyea Dave to Emerald Lake on our first visit to Alaska in 2011. I can't recall the name of the guy who we were with, but the tour itself was outstanding. We did purchase the train tickets separate to go back to Skagway from Fraser. He didn't seem too happy with that (or he was just miffed why we would spend the extra money when our tour already included the return trip). Either way, we absolutely loved it all (including the train). As a matter of fact, we are taking my sister and her husband next summer and I plan to book them on the same tour.

One of my favorite things was that the shuttles they use are small and we're able to get in and out before all the big tour buses show up at the different pull out scenic locations.

• 1 year later...

Just a couple of updates since last year....

they are no longer stamping passports at the border

the railroad has changed ownership, hence some rescheduling and of course price increases!?!

the train out of Fraser will now depart a bit later in the afternoon 330pm instead of 245

my departure date is still uncertain.......

cliff and Craig are no longer with the company and I may not be either, depending upon the success of this latest chemo which I am currently undergoing, the latest big checkup is next week when I take a trip of a lifetime down to Seattle for a scan

remaining optimistic since I did not lose my hair this time on the home bound treatment.

But, fear not failure,  my friends, since Kathy will be running things with all of the other ladies returning to drive for us

mostly, I hope to still be driving around Skagway in that. Same little car offering free rides to all survivors,  just flag me down and hop in.....

thanks. To all who help to make this place a little heaven on earth by visiting us...

DD

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dyeadave said:

cliff and Craig are no longer with the company and I may not be either, depending upon the success of this latest chemo which I am currently undergoing, the latest big checkup is next week when I take a trip of a lifetime down to Seattle for a scan

remaining optimistic since I did not lose my hair this time on the home bound treatment.

Wishing you the best!

14 hours ago, dyeadave said:

Just a couple of updates since last year....

they are no longer stamping passports at the border

the railroad has changed ownership, hence some rescheduling and of course price increases!?!

the train out of Fraser will now depart a bit later in the afternoon 330pm instead of 245

my departure date is still uncertain.......

But, fear not failure,  my friends, since Kathy will be running things with all of the other ladies returning to drive for us

mostly, I hope to still be driving around Skagway in that. Same little car offering free rides to all survivors,  just flag me down and hop in.....

thanks. To all who help to make this place a little heaven on earth by visiting us...

DD

From one cancer survivor to another, I am wishing you the best and will keep you in my prayers. 

We are booked with you in May on the Ovation of the Seas maiden voyage into Alaska. We have a group of 14 and I must say your team has been nothing but helpful. We hope to see you at that time, but we understand that you may not be taking out the tours yourself and that is ok. 👍

• 2 months later...

Hello Dave from Marshalltown, IA!   Have thought of you and Kathy since our fantastic tour June 2017.  Kathy was the perfect host and gave us a wonderful tour.....breathtaking scenery and just a perfect beautiful day.  I hope you find that your scan shows healing and that you are winning this battle.  Thoughts and prayers continue for a full recovery.  Marshalltown took a blow this year.  We took a direct hit by a F3 tornado this past July.  Right through the heart of town and historical Main Street.  Over 1000 homes damaged,  over 150 having to be torn down....15 historic buildings have to be taken down In the downtown business district.  Beautiful Courthouse sustained 15 million in damages....everyone cried when the Cupola at the top came crashing down.  Horrible damage, and we lost approx. 2000 big beautiful trees.  Lennox Mfg. had 750 employees in factory and tornado leveled it.  Incredibly no fatalities and only minor injuries sustained across town.  Will be a long time recovering.....still so much to fix and rebuild.  

Just wanted to let you to know what happened here, as I know you have been here several times.  Yes, the Taylors Maidrite had some damage, but is still going strong!  

Take care and prayers for continued healing!

Michelle Peterson

Edited by Mitch2016