Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

I'm not sure who handles what in terms of actually restocking things, but I do know that when we cruised in December, there was a person we called "the candy man" who came down the halls every day replenishing candy in the fridges.  He may have handled the drinks as well, but I only saw him with the candy, so I don't know. (He told us he did other jobs too.)   I only mention this as it might possibly account for some instances in which a cruiser requests something from their room steward or assistant that does not get fulfilled. 

14 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

I'm not sure who handles what in terms of actually restocking things, but I do know that when we cruised in December, there was a person we called "the candy man" who came down the halls every day replenishing candy in the fridges.  He may have handled the drinks as well, but I only saw him with the candy, so I don't know. (He told us he did other jobs too.)   I only mention this as it might possibly account for some instances in which a cruiser requests something from their room steward or assistant that does not get fulfilled. 

We happened to be in the cabin at the start of our recent cruise when the "candy man" came by.  We spoke to him about our preference for diet coke and diet sprite, and the non-diet cans were replaced and we had the correct soda for the rest of the cruise (we were in a DV cabin).  Really enjoyed the peanuts and candy - brought them ashore for pick-me-ups.

2 hours ago, jbeeg said:

Unfortunately, not all stewards remember simple things like that. We had to repeatedly leave the same note regarding coffee, the fridge stocking and asking for filtered not chlorinated sink water in our daily carafe.Why put water straight from the sink into a carafe on the counter? The chlorine is obvious. I think we had a particularly "not quite with it" steward based on this and other exploits. Be prepared to write copious notes

On our two VO cruises, we never had to remind them of anything. And when they filled the carafe it was from bottled water. It was a 'tell once' deal. I hope you commented on that in the survey you filled out at the end of the cruise. That's the kind of feedback they want. 

• Like 1

Just one additional note regarding laundry. Not only are the washers and dryers free to use, they also provide free detergent. We were on the Viking Sun in May and for their machines there was a button to push for the numbered washer you were going to use and it automatically dispensed the detergent into the machine. Easy peasy and no mess! Worked great!

9 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Yes - there is a person who only takes care of the fridge. He doesn't have anything to do with the coffee pods or water in the carafe. I had a chat with him one day and made a request to have more of one thing stocked than another. Plus a request not to bother with something else. Don't remember the particulars. But do remember  that he wrote out a note that he left in the fridge as a reminder of what I'd said. Also - sometimes if the timing was right, I'd catch the stewards with their supply cart and - with their full knowledge and please&thank you from me - help myself to the coffee pods I wanted.  

• Like 1

Good info on the candy, coffee, water discussion. We’ve had good luck with asking for diet sodas on several trips but no luck with candy on any. We’ll try notes next cruise. One cruise they only had our favorite candy on day one of 14 and said they had run out on day two but it never hurts to ask nicely. We’ve also had great laundry service. These trips are rare treats so it’s worth it to me not to spend my time doing more than rinsing out my undies. Looking forward to our October cruise and hoping the water levels permit. Happy sailing to everyone.

I tried scanning the multitude of pages in this thread, but have not been able to find a discussion on dining room dress explained.  My question is about "Elegant Casual" in dining rooms on Viking Ocean, not the buffet.  We he have been on a couple Oceania Cruises and they have "Country Club Casual".  I found that especially in warmer Mediterranean waters that included not just slacks, but capris and even tailored pedal pushers that hit the mid knee. ( Men obviously had to wear slacks). After all, many skirts some women were wearing were, in many cases, shorter than some Bermuda shorts.  So, our first cruise on Viking starts in Athens,  for those of you who have been on Viking in the Mediterranean,  were Chico's type tailored capris and pedal pushers acceptable?  Just trying to cut down on how much I pack.  Thanks for your help.  

10 hours ago, ReillyQ said:

I tried scanning the multitude of pages in this thread, but have not been able to find a discussion on dining room dress explained.  My question is about "Elegant Casual" in dining rooms on Viking Ocean, not the buffet.  We he have been on a couple Oceania Cruises and they have "Country Club Casual".  I found that especially in warmer Mediterranean waters that included not just slacks, but capris and even tailored pedal pushers that hit the mid knee. ( Men obviously had to wear slacks). After all, many skirts some women were wearing were, in many cases, shorter than some Bermuda shorts.  So, our first cruise on Viking starts in Athens,  for those of you who have been on Viking in the Mediterranean,  were Chico's type tailored capris and pedal pushers acceptable?  Just trying to cut down on how much I pack.  Thanks for your help.  

Based on our experience on the Empire of the Med Cruise most women wore either a dress, skirt or nice capris.  Very few capris.  Don't remember seeing pedal pushers.  No jeans are preferred.  What that said there were some "nice" jeans worn also.  Did not see any shorts.

Stan

On our three cruises, there were some dresses and skirts (including me, usually one just for the fun of it) and a few capris, but mostly long pants with a dressier top for the restaurants. Now we do travel during the cooler weather, so I don't know how that might change in the heat of summer. The ship is pleasantly climate controlled either way.

12 hours ago, ReillyQ said:

Since you mentioned Chicos:  My go to for dinner on Viking is Chicos Travelers Collection.  Black no tummy (I wish) slacks, classic cardigan jacket, black camisole and a white camisole and a white on black design jacket.  Mix and match, change up jewelry and scarves.  Black sandals. Has worked great on two week cruises.  Takes up little space in suitcase and very light weight and no wrinkle worries.  Worked as well on Mediterranean and Norway cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LeRenardrouge said:

Since you mentioned Chicos:  My go to for dinner on Viking is Chicos Travelers Collection.  Black no tummy (I wish) slacks, classic cardigan jacket, black camisole and a white camisole and a white on black design jacket.  Mix and match, change up jewelry and scarves.  Black sandals. Has worked great on two week cruises.  Takes up little space in suitcase and very light weight and no wrinkle worries.  Worked as well on Mediterranean and Norway cruise.

Change Chico's to Jjill, replace the cardigan and print jacket with a handful of tunic tops, and the same idea works for me. It is amazing how much I can actually fit in a suitcase as those travel knits pack so easily. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

Change Chico's to Jjill, replace the cardigan and print jacket with a handful of tunic tops, and the same idea works for me. It is amazing how much I can actually fit in a suitcase as those travel knits pack so easily. 

Oh yes. Love JJill for more casual wardrobe.  Packing is so easy and light.  

Thanks for the chico's and j Jill comments.  My problem with slacks is that my inseam is usually longer than the regular but shorter than the tall.  With recent tapering, shortening the tall does not work well.  Anyways have ordered a crop pant and a regular pant from Chico's so will be in cinque with the suggested dress on our cruise.  

Happy cruising everyone!

I can so relate to this discussion! Before our last cruise FedEx was rolling up to our house just about every day, most;y with JJill. It was kind of like Christmas every day - with the deliveries and the credit card hits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The availability of figure flattering, easily packable clothing from the referenced women's stores creates a perfect combination. I used the cruise to justify purchasing the clothes, but then I have the clothes, so I figure it makes sense to book another cruise.  Makes sense to me!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Remember Nehru jackets??????

Please post Trigger Warning on such mentions.
I skipped those, although have 70s photos of self ludicrously dressed.  What WAS IT with that decade anyway?

6 hours ago, newcruiser1956 said:

It was the generation who now are on Viking cruise ships 🙂

In flight...  Why can't we get Lawrence Welk on this dag-nab TV screen?

Image result for Ma and Pa Kettle in flight

Edited by $hip$hape
  • Haha 1