Prepaid Card Use

I plan to use a pre-paid card for my onboard expenses. Has anyone else done this? Will there be an issue with using the pre-paid card as opposed to a credit card?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect they won't allow that.

If not, I would try changing to a "cash" type account and then using the prepaid card to pay off the cash account at the end of the cruise.

Thank you for your response!! To be sure, I called RCCI and the agent I spoke with said that as long as it has an expiration date and 3 digit number on the back it will be fine. It's a card issued by my bank.

Thank you for your response!! To be sure, I called RCCI and the agent I spoke with said that as long as it has an expiration date and 3 digit number on the back it will be fine. It's a card issued by my bank.

Be sure you have a Plan B.

I used a prepaid card on my cruise last year, as I have done so for most of my cruises. What I will say is, make sure you have at least $500 available on the card before you get on the cruise. If you can load at least $1,000, all the better. I don't know if I am allowed to mention the name of the provider I have used or not. It may be the case where some prepaid cards are not accepted, but I can only say from my own personal experience.

I have used my Revolut card several times, despite the pursors desk repeatedly insisting it wouldn't work.. saved a fair few quid in exchange rates!
Just out of curiousity, did it have prepaid labelled on the card? If so, I wonder if that is the sticking point.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just out of curiousity, did it have prepaid labelled on the card? If so, I wonder if that is the sticking point.

No, just looks like a normal MasterCard, but I did mention it was a prepay and they took some convincing to even bother to try using it, they were adamant it wouldn't work.

No, just looks like a normal MasterCard, but I did mention it was a prepay and they took some convincing to even bother to try using it, they were adamant it wouldn't work.
There lies the problem. If you tell them it is prepaid, they will try and refuse it.

I have used a pre paid Visa card on several cruises without any problems. My card has the banks and my name on it and looks like any other Visa except it has "debit" on it.

From things I've seen mentioned here, the sticking point seems to be whether it's a "purchased" prepaid card (a plain one where you buy the actual card at a store) or an "issued" prepaid card (one that is printed with your name on it and mailed to you by the issuing bank).

If it's issued to you with your name printed on it, you should be good to go.

From things I've seen mentioned here, the sticking point seems to be whether it's a "purchased" prepaid card (a plain one where you buy the actual card at a store) or an "issued" prepaid card (one that is printed with your name on it and mailed to you by the issuing bank).

If it's issued to you with your name printed on it, you should be good to go.

I agree with this 100%

I have used pre-paid Visas a couple of times. The first, on Majesty, I thought I lost my card and went and got another one at the bank. Instead of my name it had "Valued Customer". They couldn't take it without my name. Established a cash account and got money from the ATM. The next cruise, we were in a makeshift tent terminal in Miami with WiFi connections and couldn't get the card to take. We got out a credit card. It still took about 5 tries to get it to take so I'm not sure it was a problem with the prepaid or the WiFi. It doesn't say "Prepaid" on the card and I just present it as a regular Visa. It works absolutely everywhere else so I don't know why it wouldn't work. It is handy because I can load money over the course of time and not worry about paying a credit card later.