Shall we carry bear spray while on a Denali hike?

Cruise_More_Often

We've bought our shuttle tickets for the Wonder Lake stop, hoping the weather is nice enough that we can do a nice hike and get some gorgeous photos. Should we worry about bears there or on one of the trails around Eilson? There's almost nothing written about that here or on TripAdvisor.

I'm thinking about taking a hike in Denail too and have been wondering the same thing. I found this "bear aware" info:

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/safety/bears.htm

That page says "If you feel the need for additional protection, consider carrying "pepper spray"...." It doesn't make it sound like a necessity.

Often hikes that go along streams have cautions about bears during salmon runs.

I've been around bears when hiking and backpacking in the Sierras without it (actually long enough ago that I don't think bear spray was available). There was one trip where one was prowling around our campsite a bit and making noise did the trick. But of course that wasn't a grizzly.

I want to see grizzly bears close by but not too close by.

Thanks for that link, new_cruisers. I hadn't seen that site. On the video on the Denali National Park site--the one where the hikers are going off-trail across the tundra--the hikers are all carrying bear spray (and talking loudly and waving their hiking poles).

I'm thinking that a stop by a sporting goods store once we get to Anchorage might be a good idea.

Thanks for that link, new_cruisers. I hadn't seen that site. On the video on the Denali National Park site--the one where the hikers are going off-trail across the tundra--the hikers are all carrying bear spray (and talking loudly and waving their hiking poles).

I'm thinking that a stop by a sporting goods store once we get to Anchorage might be a good idea.

Where is that video? I haven't seen it. Was it the one on this page:

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/safety.htm

That's pretty informative.

The page has a stronger recommendation to carry spray than the state park page: "Hikers and cyclists should carry bear spray and know how to use it. If a bear charges or gets very near you, pepper spray formulated for bears is the best defense."

But on this page (also http://www.nps.gov/denali) they have a more whshy washy statement and note the part about the bus:

"A. The use of pepper spray as a bear deterrent is a personal choice. If you decide to carry it, be aware that wind, spray distance, rain and product shelf-life all influence its effectiveness. Do not let it serve as a false sense of security or as a substitute for recommended safety precautions while in bear country. When you are on a bus in the park, notify the driver if you are carrying bear spray. The driver will direct you to stow it in a storage container under the bus."

Having just been there and seen how close they will approach, absolutely. I actually bought a can to keep in the car as I am driving back next month.
Okay, we will definitely bring at least one. Even if we don't use it, we will feel a little safer.

. . . "When you are on a bus in the park, notify the driver if you are carrying bear spray. The driver will direct you to stow it in a storage container under the bus."
I never saw that, either. Great catch! Just don't forget to retrieve it when leaving the bus!

Several previous posts indicate it can't be taken on board a cruise ship or aircraft. Watch YouTube videos on how to use it. It doesn't spray out very far and you are already in a dire situation if you need to use it.

I was told by a guy who conducts firearm and wildlife safety classes that it's like jalapenos and people, some like it some hate it. It's like that way with bears, it doesn't bother all of them. Good luck!

Several previous posts indicate it can't be taken on board a cruise ship or aircraft. Watch YouTube videos on how to use it. It doesn't spray out very far and you are already in a dire situation if you need to use it.

I was told by a guy who conducts firearm and wildlife safety classes that it's like jalapenos and people, some like it some hate it. It's like that way with bears, it doesn't bother all of them. Good luck!

Yes, they don't even want you to take it on the bus. I expect that Cruise_More_Often knows that because he said he was thinking of stopping by a sporting goods store to get it once he was in Anchorage. But good to point it out for others.

That leaves the question of what to do with the hopefully full can when leaving Alaska. Leave it in the hotel room or rental car? Dump it in the bin before security at the airport?

The video on the page I linked (which I think is the same as the last video on the back country safety video page) has plenty of advice on how to not get to the point where you need to use the spray. It's pretty clear that that would be a last resort before getting to the stage of fetal position / playing dead.

Carrying bear spray is a personal choice. I'm not an expert, but our experience on our previous month-long Alaska trip when we car camped throughout the state is that we did not have any issues with bears. Most of our camping locations were off side roads in remote locations. In Denali we stayed at the park campground and had a grizzly walk through the campground one evening and the bear bothered no one. The closest we came to a bear was on the Exit Glacier hike near Seward where it was early in the morning and it was just the two of us. We were walking though a bushy area and a grizzly stood up on it's rear legs a couple hundred feet from us and gave us a good looking. We just stood still and talked quietly to the bear. After it's curiosity was satisfied it dropped back into the bushes it just ambled off somewhere.

A couple tips for hiking in bear territory. Hike in a group and keep up a quiet conversation so that the wildlife are aware of your presence. Hike in clean clothes, don't use the clothing you had worn while eating a meal. Only pack bland smelling snacks in your pack and make sure your pack is clean. If you do purchase bear spray remember it is illegal to bring the spray across the Canadian border.

We've bought our shuttle tickets for the Wonder Lake stop, hoping the weather is nice enough that we can do a nice hike and get some gorgeous photos. Should we worry about bears there or on one of the trails around Eilson? There's almost nothing written about that here or on TripAdvisor.

I always carried bear spray and was very loud so as not to "sneak" up on any

A couple tips for hiking in bear territory. Hike in a group and keep up a quiet conversation so that the wildlife are aware of your presence. Hike in clean clothes, don't use the clothing you had worn while eating a meal. Only pack bland smelling snacks in your pack and make sure your pack is clean. If you do purchase bear spray remember it is illegal to bring the spray across the Canadian border.

And don't try to outrun a bear. You can't. :)

Thanks very much to everyone who contributed. Now we will go forewarned and forearmed with bear spray and loud voices.

REI in Anchorage has a class coming up called "Bear and Moose Aware," but it's next week, and we won't be there.

We will talk to the rangers at the Visitor Center in the Park before venturing out, and if we change our minds about hiking at Wonder Lake, we will probably be at the Visitor Center early enough to go on a ranger-led hike.

For anyone else planning a hike, this link from the Denal National Park website has lots of information: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/dayhiking.htm

If you do purchase bear spray remember it is illegal to bring the spray across the Canadian border.

What is your source for that? This memorandum from the Canada Border Services Agency

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.pdf

has an exception for bear repellent (see 20 © near the bottom of page 11):

"Exception: Aerosol or similar dispensers that contain substances capable of repelling or subduing animals (e.g.dog or bear repellent) are not considered prohibited weapons if:

(i) the label of the container indicates specifically that it is for use against animals only; and

(ii) the provisions of the Pest Control Products Act are met.

(iii) In order for a device or dispenser to be considered to meet the above criteria, it must be apparent thatthe device was designed exclusively for the control or use against animals. The manufacturer’s label andspecifications will be deemed as the design of the product. The misuse of these or any other similar devicemay nonetheless be punishable under other laws.

(iv) Please note that there is no minimum quantity or capacity requirements (in terms of grams ormilliliters) in making the determination with respect to animal repellents."

I wasn't able to find anything definitive (i.e. from us.gov or other trusted source) for the other direction of crossing but lots of anecdotal statements of it being allowed.

Normally I'd remind anyone that Alaska is the size of half of the rest of the US, and the odd of being attacked by a bear is remote, but...it's been a rough year with several deaths and nearly daily encounters and maulings. I'm going to get bear spray to just garden in my yard. Even the black bears have been aggressive, and from the poor berry crop this year, I don't expect it to get any better.

Take a look at the Alaska Department of Fish and Game highlights: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/

No, you can't take the can on the plane or boat. There may be some place you could donate it before leaving the state? There've been bears tearing up tents in homeless camps, so I'm sure they wouldn't mind having the can!

Carrying bear spray is a personal choice. I'm not an expert, but our experience on our previous month-long Alaska trip when we car camped throughout the state is that we did not have any issues with bears. Most of our camping locations were off side roads in remote locations. In Denali we stayed at the park campground and had a grizzly walk through the campground one evening and the bear bothered no one. The closest we came to a bear was on the Exit Glacier hike near Seward where it was early in the morning and it was just the two of us. We were walking though a bushy area and a grizzly stood up on it's rear legs a couple hundred feet from us and gave us a good looking. We just stood still and talked quietly to the bear. After it's curiosity was satisfied it dropped back into the bushes it just ambled off somewhere.

You were very fortunate by not having a bear incident. I have been going to Alaska fishing for 20+ years. In 2006 I was attacked by a bear while camping and bear spray would have been no help. I am up here now and bear incidents have been prevelant. Since my incident,I now carry bear repellant in a .357 Magnum!

Okay, now you have us scared, and that's a very good thing! The interior of the bus is sounding much safer with every post. But, just in case, we'll still buy bear spray while we're in Anchorage and talk to the rangers once we get to the Park. If there's any doubt, we'll stay on the bus! And we'll leave the bear spray in the Park when our stay is over. I bet a ranger will know what to do with it.

Thanks again to everyone who is helping us decide whether we should hike at Wonder Lake or stay on the shuttle. :D Either way, we couldn't be more excited!

Didn't mean to scare you.Just want you to be bear aware up here as you can never tell when they are going to drop in for a visit! See bears almost everyday up here fishing with no problems but there is always that one troublemaker. Mothers with their young,be it bear or moose,are always ones to avoid.Enjoy your trip as this is beautiful country up here.