What do you like and/or dislike about sharing a table with strangers?

Hey Tina

We used to eat with large groups when we started cruising, but we eat less and less in the MDR nowadays- we stick to the buffet and speciality restaurants. I think our next cruise, which is only 9 nights, on a small ship, only has fixed dining, so we'll manage, but will have nights off for speciality restaurants.

We usually like to visit the Buffet on most meals. I like the MDR but my husband likes to be more casual . I like to be served and he likes to serve himself. So i usually let him win because then after the MDR we still have to go to the buffet to please him . I guess we are little piggies.:p

We choose to dine at a two-top.

While we enjoy talking to people throuout the day - at the pool, while walking on deck, etc., we prefer mealtimes to be just for us. Also, we can get through the meal in less time and get back to deck-strolling, reading, etc.

wow! you are certainly well traveled. I really think this is the best education. I hope we can travel like this in the near future with no more employment commitments it will be a possibility. :D

That must have been really annoying! I hope you asked to be moved to another table after this happened a couple of times.

I have to tell you. I never knew they would hold the table service because some couple decided not to show up at there determined time which you have no relation to . This does not seem to be good table service etiquette where the maitre'd is responsible for this. That is what i think. :rolleyes:

I am one who prefers to NOT share a table. I have to talk all day long to strangers at work. The last thing I want to do on my vacation is to be forced to sit with strangers and engage in banal, meaningless chit chat while I try to enjoy my meal. I travel solo and I love it that way. I tried a cruise back before the anytime/freestyle/your time dining came about and I hated it because I was forced to eat at a specific time and with people not of my choosing. Why do people feel the need to ask why I'm cruising solo and give me the pathetic eyes and the "you are so brave" line??? Yes, there was the buffet, and I ended up eating there the last few nights. But, then, when I ran into those people, it was awkward to say "you know, I just don't like you and didn't want to eat with you." When non-fixed dining came about, I got back to cruising and I love it.

I had someone on CC say that I shouldn't cruise because I don't want to be with people. I do not see where my desire to eat solo, not attend Meet & Mingles, not engage in games, do my ports alone, is reason that I should not be cruising.

I always say its your vacation and it's your money. Have a wonderful time and don't let anyone ruin your good time by their silly expectations of what your cruise experience should be.:cool:

DH and I love sharing a table and meeting new people. It's happened we've had table mates we didn't particularly like ( one who introduced himself as MR. so and so and knew everything about every single subject ) but we've met some really fantastic people. There's always the option of changing tables if you don't get along so there's no harm in trying a shared table, IMHO

If you want Greeks to be on time for diner you have to tell them to come an hours or 2 early. Gross generalization Yes But True. lol

I have to admit we are usually late for the MDR.

George has worn a ball cap because he feels self conscious about his lack of hair. lol

And i have blown my nose at the table because my nose was running snots down my face.

And i do prefer to sit by ourselves.

Although i am friendly and love people i enjoy eating alone and not talking at the table, or feeling as if i have to contribute anything to entertain others.

g

All things considered, I think you make a wise decision to dine by yourselves.

I would like to know why the wait staff is holding up the rest of the table because another couple is late for dinner. They have no relation to you . Nor was it your choice to be seated with them. I have never experienced this on any cruise. If i sat at the table i was waited on immediately and the waiter never held our order because of other folks who were not there at the specified time. Unless we requested it. This is a maiter d problem or the head waiter should observe this practice. It is not normal or acceptable. Don't blame the vacationers. Oh no ,i know that this point of view won't be popular.

g

All things considered, I think you make a wise decision to dine by yourselves.

Where did i lose you my friend?

Was it the wiping my nose at the table because i didn't want my visible runny nose to offend anyone while eating, or was it the baseball cap, or the being late on my vacation where time should belong to me and not involve anyone else's good time.

If it does in fact inhibit anyone else's food service this is a reflection of the maitre d and the head wait staff and not our being late since we are not at all related or part of the so called group. We are the obligatory group.

We much prefer to share, in fact we are usually the ones that look up and realise the remainder of the restaurant is empty and the staff are surrounding us. When sharing a fixed time with a set table we like to swap round each evening so we can more easily include every guest.

One time we had any time dining when we met the passenger from Hell. He just wasn't a listener and kept reminding us that he was an elite cruiser or something like it. My wife and I shrugged it off but were sat at a table the next night wondering who our new companions were going to when the same person joined us! I can honestly say that this is the only occasion this has happened.

We have shared tables with some wonderful people over the years.

We have little time for those who insist on drilling down to find out your status, occupation, etc in order to place you in that socioeconomic box in their head. Not that interested in hearing how important are tablemates are. We still laugh about a condo we had in Costa Rica for a month. One of our fellow guests who had a bad memory told us EVERY day we saw her at the pool that her brother was a Governor of some US State. As though we could really care.

We do not want to hear about how successful, smart, or kind to dumb animals you children are. We don't give a hoot about how cute your grandchildren are. We have some of both...we know all the stories. We feel the same about the cats, dogs, or goldfish that you left at home.

We have zero interest in discussing religion, sex, or politics. Anyones...including our own. Not interested in others view about ending world hunger/poverty. Likewise, don't ask us to hold hands at a table and/or pray prior to our meal. From our perspective it is the height of rudeness nor do we want to hold or shake anyone's hand on a cruise ship.

Other than that, it is all good.

Edited by iancal

We have little time for those who insist on drilling down to find out your status, occupation, etc in order to place you in that socioeconomic box in their head. Not that interested in hearing how important are tablemates are. We still laugh about a condo we had in Costa Rica for a month. One of our fellow guests who had a bad memory told us EVERY day we saw her at the pool that her brother was a Governor of some US State. As though we could really care.

We do not want to hear about how successful, smart, or kind to dumb animals you children are. We don't give a hoot about how cute your grandchildren are. We have some of both...we know all the stories. We feel the same about the cats, dogs, or goldfish that you left at home.

We have zero interest in discussing religion, sex, or politics. Anyones...including our own. Not interested in others view about ending world hunger/poverty. Likewise, don't ask us to hold hands at a table and/or pray prior to our meal. From our perspective it is the height of rudeness nor do we want to hold or shake anyone's hand on a cruise ship.

Hahahaha. Post of the Day!

Where did i lose you my friend?

Was it the wiping my nose at the table because i didn't want my visible runny nose to offend anyone while eating, or was it the baseball cap, or the being late on my vacation where time should belong to me and not involve anyone else's good time.

If it does in fact inhibit anyone else's food service this is a reflection of the maitre d and the head wait staff and not our being late since we are not at all related or part of the so called group. We are the obligatory group.

Being consistently late for a reservation (such as fixed seating) is simply rude! And if you are sharing a table with others, it is even more rude! It is proper protocol to not start service at a table until everyone is present...so you are trashing the Maitre'd for using proper etiquette? That is one reason why we always use Open Sitting options and seldom make a reservation. If we do agree to dine at a certain time. we will nearly always be on time. Had to laugh at what happened on a Celebrity cruise this past year. We had a reservation to dine at Murano (this is their high cost ($50 per person) alternative restaurant. When we arrived at our reservation time there was a heated discussion going on at the door. A party of 4, who had a 7:15 reservation...showed up at 8. The Maitre'd refused to seat them..explaining that he was fully booked and seating them would cause issues for other reservations (who probably arrive on time). Those folks were turned away.. You could hear some quiet applause (from a few others waiting to get seated).

Hank

What are the pros/cons of getting a table in the MDR for just your family/group versus sharing a larger table with strangers.

Best/worst experiences for each way (alone/ with strangers)?

Our one time when we were seated with strangers ( other cruises were with friends/family or we dined with just us-by choice), we were seated with two couples. One was a retired couple from the New England area. The other was a couple from Florida on their honeymoon. We were in our 40's with our 9 and 11 year old from the Midwest. We had nothing in common with each other.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another reason for us wanting a two-top is that my husband lives in Mexico full-time (Master scuba instructor), and I live in Tucson. I only see him about every other month. We treasure our time together and don't want to share a table with anyone partially because of that.

We've had lovely conversations with strangers in the dining room and buffet. But once my friend and I were assigned a table with 2 couples who had opposing political views and it was election season. They nearly came to blows and tried to talk through us: 'Tell THEM....'. We ate the last few nights in the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This post might come off as a rant to some, but a couple terms come to mind for those who are aware of this stuff: tact and social skills.

We'd likely be less hesitant to dine with strangers if we felt more people possessed these qualities. A couple meals with a different Joe-head-up-his-butt have unfortunately left us with not wanting to expose ourselves to the possibility anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

We have no problems whatsoever when sharing a table with those who simply "ask the blessing" before dinner. :)

Very different from getting into religious discussions.

Always best to avoid religion, politics, and money. ;)

We have no problems whatsoever when sharing a table with those who simply "ask the blessing" before dinner. :)

Very different from getting into religious discussions.

Always best to avoid religion, politics, and money. ;)

But the problem is, it makes a lot of us feel very awkward. When someone sits there and wants to hold hands and/or "bless the food" or whatever and we're sitting there like "uhhh", that's just not something that we do and honestly I feel very uncomfortable in those situations.

Guest Nellsmom58
But the problem is, it makes a lot of us feel very awkward. When someone sits there and wants to hold hands and/or "bless the food" or whatever and we're sitting there like "uhhh", that's just not something that we do and honestly I feel very uncomfortable in those situations.

I understand your discomfort, but what about the folks who fervently believe they need to bless before eating? Would you deny them that? Sorry, just cannot let this go unsaid.

It seems this discussion is all over the place. Bottom line, to each his/her own, and please don't judge or impose on others. If you simply cannot stand being with others, or if it makes you uncomfortable, eat by yourself, as others have stated. We're not in that camp, but that is our choice.

I understand your discomfort, but what about the folks who fervently believe they need to bless before eating? Would you deny them that? Sorry, just cannot let this go unsaid.

It seems this discussion is all over the place. Bottom line, to each his/her own, and please don't judge or impose on others. If you simply cannot stand being with others, or if it makes you uncomfortable, eat by yourself, as others have stated. We're not in that camp, but that is our choice.

Nope, I respect everyones right to religion. They can worship whoever or whatever they want, it's their right and I am fine with that. That's why (as I stated previously) we sit alone. It allows us to avoid uncomfortable moments like that.

Hypothetically though, say you're one of those people who want to bless everything and pray before meals and all of that. How would you feel if we sat at your table and you chose to do that. Meanwhile you tried to hold our hands which we wouldn't, and then while you prayed over the dinner we just sat there, staring at each other uncomfortably? This is actually something I have always wondered but haven't ever asked. I'm curious...

Guest Nellsmom58

Maybe someone will chime in. Since we would not do that, my answer is meaningless, but I would hope they'd understand your discomfort and honor your decision. However, I would also hope you'd honor theirs to bless, even without your participation. And yes, I got it that you eat alone, which is a good choice for you to feel less awkward.

Edited by Nellsmom58