I hate to ask but...smoking on aurora

Hi

I gave up smoking several years ago but unfortunately relapsed just recently. I know, it's awful.

I fully intend to get back off them when we get back from our cruise but as the holiday is in less than two weeks I don't want to be going through nicotine withdrawal and all the associated horror of quitting cigarettes while on board.

We did a ship visit in November and I'm sure I saw ashtrays on the tables one side of the pennant bar at the aft.

The p&o website says port side promenade and port side lido deck forward which I'm thinking is the Riviera pool area - but not the Penant bar.

It's not a major issue, as there are places I can go to feed my smelly habit but just wondering if anyone can clarify from personal experience?

(Yes, I know its horrible, expensive, unhealthy etc and trust me I'm gutted I've relapsed).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

Hi, there are smoking areas, so don't fret.

I hope you don't mind me saying that actually the best time to give up is when you go. The thing is when onboard all your routines change so it disrupts your behavioural habits and it is common not to feel the same level of anxiety. Giving up is something that you have to do when the time is right for you, and it's easy to keep moving the goal post about when that will be. Of course you only have to go to the smoking area once and you've established a new routine which is hard to break so an e-cigarette might help stop cravings and help to prevent that. When you do give up good luck, and whatever you do enjoy your cruise x

You are correct that smoking is allowed on the Port side of the promenade deck (only) and an area at the aft up top.

I agree with Florry that the cruise could be a good time to try to stop again. We were pleasantly surprised on our recent cruise on Aurora that there seemed to be very few smokers indeed. I kept seeing the same half a dozen or so on the promenade deck whenever I walked past, but smokers were few and far between, which was a surprise given the older passenger profile.

Thanks folks[emoji106]

You sound as though you feel guilty about smoking. Listen, it's your choice and if you don't upset other people, then enjoy it. I smoked a pipe for 20 odd years, tried and failed several times to give up. Eventually, I tried vaping, it worked, I couldn't go back to the pipe, cigars or cigarettes, but unfortunately, you swap one addiction for another! I join all the other social outcasts when I cruise and only smoke my electronic fix in designated areas. So, try again when you are ready, meanwhile, enjoy a relaxing holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, there are smoking areas, so don't fret.

I hope you don't mind me saying that actually the best time to give up is when you go. The thing is when onboard all your routines change so it disrupts your behavioural habits and it is common not to feel the same level of anxiety. Giving up is something that you have to do when the time is right for you, and it's easy to keep moving the goal post about when that will be. Of course you only have to go to the smoking area once and you've established a new routine which is hard to break so an e-cigarette might help stop cravings and help to prevent that. When you do give up good luck, and whatever you do enjoy your cruise x

I agree your routine usually changes completely and a good time to stop.

If you stop smoking your health will get better and the money you save could easily buy you an extra cruise.

It is almost 40 years since i stopped smoking.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

so sorry to learn you have relapsed, dont worry, you can try again when the time is right. my hubby and i stopped for 4 months a long time ago , but then started again. then on the 3 october 2014 we stopped again. we saved the money of what we spent on giggies every month, and it payed for our very first cruise to the caneries for 2 weeks, that was in jan 2016. we now are going to the caribbean on dec 15 for 2 weeks, as it is both our 70th birthdays and our golden wedding all in that week. i hope never to smoke again, as i do like cruising, i love it, so i hope you make it when the time is right and maybe you will get more cruises. please do not think i am being patronising, far from it. i wish you well . enjoy your cruise.

so sorry to learn you have relapsed, dont worry, you can try again when the time is right. my hubby and i stopped for 4 months a long time ago , but then started again. then on the 3 october 2014 we stopped again. we saved the money of what we spent on giggies every month, and it payed for our very first cruise to the caneries for 2 weeks, that was in jan 2016. we now are going to the caribbean on dec 15 for 2 weeks, as it is both our 70th birthdays and our golden wedding all in that week. i hope never to smoke again, as i do like cruising, i love it, so i hope you make it when the time is right and maybe you will get more cruises. please do not think i am being patronising, far from it. i wish you well . enjoy your cruise.

An average smoker can easily save £3000 in a year by not smoking which can easily buy you another cruise,plus all the health benefits too.

It's one of those topics that many of us understand and sympathise with. I have smoked and given up for years then started again and had to go through the whole process again. The time has to be right for you, it's funny how you can think about giving up, want to give up, try to give up, don't give up, feel guilty and then suddenly one day a decision comes over you and you manage it. I've not smoked for many years now but secretly I have thought that if I get to 90 and they still make them I might start again [emoji6]

It's one of those topics that many of us understand and sympathise with. I have smoked and given up for years then started again and had to go through the whole process again. The time has to be right for you, it's funny how you can think about giving up, want to give up, try to give up, don't give up, feel guilty and then suddenly one day a decision comes over you and you manage it. I've not smoked for many years now but secretly I have thought that if I get to 90 and they still make them I might start again [emoji6]

2 of my uncles died in their mid 50s through smoking.

I understand why people smoke but think of all the health issues and cost related to smoking and you will never want to smoke again.

Thanks for being so kind everyone - I've booked an appt at the dr for the day I get back to get a prescription for some meds that helped me quit last time. X

That's great news. I'm currently a relapsed smoker and I started smoking again on my last cruise [emoji52]

So I agree it's a good plan to quit when you get back. Just don't be tempted to buy a carton of duty free as you leave otherwise it will push you quit date back

I found Nicorette quick mist to be very good. Tastes vile enough to not become addicted to it instead and kills cravings. I'm planning on just using that next time around.

Good luck!

Giving up smoking is one of the easiest things in the world to do

I should know I must have done it a hundred times

However the health warnings are now more pertinent and with the help of e cigs I have been off the weed for 3 or so years

Giving up smoking is one of the easiest things in the world to do

I should know I must have done it a hundred times

However the health warnings are now more pertinent and with the help of e cigs I have been off the weed for 3 or so years

Well done.

You sound as though you feel guilty about smoking. Listen, it's your choice and if you don't upset other people, then enjoy it. I smoked a pipe for 20 odd years, tried and failed several times to give up. Eventually, I tried vaping, it worked, I couldn't go back to the pipe, cigars or cigarettes, but unfortunately, you swap one addiction for another! I join all the other social outcasts when I cruise and only smoke my electronic fix in designated areas. So, try again when you are ready, meanwhile, enjoy a relaxing holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've taken to vaping also only thing that made me quit the weed been on them for 5 years now after 50 years of cigs. Only trouble as you've said gave up the fags and started a new hobby. But they can get you off the cigs quite painlessly, definitely worth a try.

Kev

I've never succumbed to the addiction and dislike the smell of cigarettes intensely (it gives me headaches, even if I smell it on people's clothes) so I applaud anyone who manages to give it up. I understand that vaping can be a good way to wean yourself off them, but do wonder why some vaping devices or liquids need to give off such ridiculously large clouds of smoke, far more than a cigarette ever would. I've been engulfed in a number of them and they are often horrible sickly smelling things!

I've never succumbed to the addiction and dislike the smell of cigarettes intensely (it gives me headaches, even if I smell it on people's clothes) so I applaud anyone who manages to give it up. I understand that vaping can be a good way to wean yourself off them, but do wonder why some vaping devices or liquids need to give off such ridiculously large clouds of smoke, far more than a cigarette ever would. I've been engulfed in a number of them and they are often horrible sickly smelling things!

Its not smoke its water vapour, think of it as fluffy clouds.

Its not smoke its water vapour, think of it as fluffy clouds.

Your lungs are designed for oxygen.

They said years ago smoking cigarettes was safe i hope these vapour smokers are safe.

I saw the light almost 40 years ago and so pleased i have never smoked anything since.

Your lungs are designed for oxygen.

They said years ago smoking cigarettes was safe i hope these vapour smokers are safe.

I saw the light almost 40 years ago and so pleased i have never smoked anything since.

You raise an interesting point. I've seen a few reports that suggest that some vapours can be even more harmful to health than cigarettes. And whether it's smoke or water vapour, it's pretty revolting when you get engulfed in a cloud of the stuff! That being said, I do applaud anyone trying to kick the foul habit and if vaping helps them to ultimately quit all forms of smoking then good on them. If, however, smoking is merely replaced by vaping on a permanent basis then there may be a bit of kidology at play. As you say, time will tell.

Cigarette smoke pollution has now thankfully been almost eliminated. I wish i could say the same for motor vehicle pollution. :( What has surprised me over the years is the number of folk vehemently against smoking but happily drive large polluting vehicles.