WHO'S ON BOARD: Officers, Staff and Crew: PART 2

C 2 C

22 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

This thread has been here for some time. We know that cruise line reps read these boards so why is this information and how the OP accessed it a problem all of a sudden? Seems odd.

And I know for sure that the cruise lines read these boards as I got some backlash about 10 years ago when NCL Epic was being finalized. A woman at the travel company I worked with (not a travel agency) got some information about Epic including updated deck plans that indicated some changes. I relayed these changes on the NCL board and within a day NCL had somehow figured out who I was (even though my name and email address were private here) and where I worked and contacted my co-worker who told me I shouldn't have shared the information. I didn't know it was top secret since it was just a deck plan but I didn't post anything further about that topic. I have to assume that Cruise Critic turned over my personal information (email at the least) to NCL as I don't see how they could've connected me from my screenname here to my real identity and workplace. It was a little unnerving actually.

Hey...at a hearing yesterday the CEO of face.,.,,book said  "sometimes they have to peek".  Glad I am not on FB!

37 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

This thread has been here for some time. We know that cruise line reps read these boards so why is this information and how the OP accessed it a problem all of a sudden? Seems odd.

And I know for sure that the cruise lines read these boards as I got some backlash about 10 years ago when NCL Epic was being finalized. A woman at the travel company I worked with (not a travel agency) got some information about Epic including updated deck plans that indicated some changes. I relayed these changes on the NCL board and within a day NCL had somehow figured out who I was (even though my name and email address were private here) and where I worked and contacted my co-worker who told me I shouldn't have shared the information. I didn't know it was top secret since it was just a deck plan but I didn't post anything further about that topic. I have to assume that Cruise Critic turned over my personal information (email at the least) to NCL as I don't see how they could've connected me from my screenname here to my real identity and workplace. It was a little unnerving actually.

So our personal Info it's not safe here

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Nor anywhere on line. Rule of thumb....whatever you post on a public forum is available to anyone....forever.

There is a difference between what you post in a public forum and your personal information that is hidden from the members of the forum and supposedly private and protected. (Hacking incidents aside...)

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Hey...at a hearing yesterday the CEO of face.,.,,book said  "sometimes they have to peek".  Glad I am not on FB!

I am assuming that was said in relation to members who are being threatening or breaking the law or spreading massive amounts of disinformation. Any reputable site should "have to peek" in those cases.

5 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

There is a difference between what you post in a public forum and your personal information that is hidden from the members of the forum and supposedly private and protected. (Hacking incidents aside...)

Yes, however if that info is listed on a insecure site.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 11/18/2020 at 6:19 PM, WonderMan3 said:

I have to assume that Cruise Critic turned over my personal information (email at the least) to NCL as I don't see how they could've connected me from my screenname here to my real identity and workplace. It was a little unnerving actually.

You assume incorrectly.  We would never do that; we respect your privacy and anonymity.  Period. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 11/18/2020 at 6:58 PM, gerelmx said:

So our personal Info it's not safe here

27 minutes ago, LauraS said:

You assume incorrectly.  We would never do that; we respect your privacy and anonymity.  Period. 

LauraS was quoting someone else, but same comment, I am sure that the same reply applies.

A year or two ago I was following a discussion on the Photo board, topic was what gear to take on a cruise to such-and-such a destination. One CC member listed out the shelves of gear he has and which items he travels with. Hmm, I thought. So he has these multiple thousands of dollars worth of gear, most of that is at home in an empty house when he travels, we know at least when he cruises, someone could go help themselves... I took about 10 minutes and I was able to find his real name, his address, which model BMW he drives, his profession (banking). I didn't bother going deeper. All of this was done with simple web searches based on the info he was sharing here. No hacking, no inside info from Cruise Critic, just simple carelessness on the part of the CC member.

I think the proper lesson is that publicly shared information is public and nobody should be surprised when it is known by other people.

Stan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

LauraS was quoting someone else, but same comment, I am sure that the same reply applies.

A year or two ago I was following a discussion on the Photo board, topic was what gear to take on a cruise to such-and-such a destination. One CC member listed out the shelves of gear he has and which items he travels with. Hmm, I thought. So he has these multiple thousands of dollars worth of gear, most of that is at home in an empty house when he travels, we know at least when he cruises, someone could go help themselves... I took about 10 minutes and I was able to find his real name, his address, which model BMW he drives, his profession (banking). I didn't bother going deeper. All of this was done with simple web searches based on the info he was sharing here. No hacking, no inside info from Cruise Critic, just simple carelessness on the part of the CC member.

I think the proper lesson is that publicly shared information is public and nobody should be surprised when it is known by other people.

Stan

I've had a similar experience. One day I noticed my then 12yo DD chatting on a discussion board and noticed several items I thought too personal to post on an open board. She made a flip comment like "Relax Mom". I then went on to backtrace and show DD that a person collecting all the tidbits she had posted would be able to find out her name, town where we lived, and ultimately our address. It was a frightening reality. Once on the internet, always on the internet!

Edited by kathynorth

On 11/17/2020 at 2:31 PM, Arno. said:

I have just been notified by Celebrity cruises that I have contravened company policy by reaching out to staff to determine who is onboard.  After a number of staff complaints, according to the contact, my wife and I have been banned from sailing on any royal branded cruise ship.

Oh Arno -- I just heard about this! Like other posters here, I thought someone was kidding me. That's terrible news! However, it's not like any of us is doing much cruising right now, anyway. Hopefully, by the time cruises resume in earnest, the folks at X/RCCL will see the error of their ways -- and rescind that ridiculous order. In the meantime, if you want to drop in at our 'Who's Onboard' (Friends of CC) thread -- to chat (or vent) -- you are most certainly NOT banned from there! 😉 In fact, we would love to hear from you!

31 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

Oh Arno -- I just heard about this! Like other posters here, I thought someone was kidding me. That's terrible news! However, it's not like any of us is doing much cruising right now, anyway. Hopefully, by the time cruises resume in earnest, the folks at X/RCCL will see the error of their ways -- and rescind that ridiculous order. In the meantime, if you want to drop in at our 'Who's Onboard' (Friends of CC) thread -- to chat (or vent) -- you are most certainly NOT banned from there! 😉 In fact, we would love to hear from you!

There has to be more to this.  Can you share the back story?  I.E. all the texts that led to this situation??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LauraS said:

This thread seems to have gone off on a tangent from its purpose. A lot of conspiracy theories. In my view the personal information that many post here or on roll calls or allow to be recorded on their spreadsheets is far more unsafe. 

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2020 at 4:31 PM, Arno. said:

I have just been notified by Celebrity cruises that I have contravened company policy by reaching out to staff to determine who is onboard.  After a number of staff complaints, according to the contact, my wife and I have been banned from sailing on any royal branded cruise ship.

Arno, I'm truly sorry to hear this. 

• 1 month later...

So sorry for Arno, I am shocked. I have not been on CC for a while as no real new news. 

I can`t believe X would treat such a loyal customer this way. A warning would have taken care of it. 

If I was Arno I don`t think I would feel welcome on another Celebrity cruise. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

So sorry for Arno, I am shocked. I have not been on CC for a while as no real new news. 

I can`t believe X would treat such a loyal customer this way. A warning would have taken care of it. 

If I was Arno I don`t think I would feel welcome on another Celebrity cruise. 

I havent heard any news either. It looks like we are still in a news lockdown. We dont really know the overall situation of the business right now. I wonder, how long more it will take untill we learn something positive from them 

• 2 months later...