Diamond vs. Diamond Plus

I have heard talk of a fare based point system in the future. Similar to what Delta is doing with their SkyMiles program.

Nights and pts will continue to be awarded as they are today with the addition of fare based pts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While not exactly fare based, Celebrity awards varying points/night based on cabin category booked. Much fairer way to "reward" loyalty, IMHO. So, Royal doesn't have to look very far to see another method.

mac_tlc

Only problem i see is there are already loads of D and D+ and extra points will create more.

I think they should create new tiers eg at 250 and 500 because once you hit 175 for D+ it is a long way to Pinnacle at 750 and it would be something to strive for if there was sufficient rewards on offer.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Agree! Even cruising solo a couple of times a year I will not reach pinnacle. Actually been diamond plus for quite a while and really have nothing, as far as C&A benefits, to keep me loyal to RC. Knowing I won't reach pinnacle (doubtful) I might as well cruise several lines.

Agree! Even cruising solo a couple of times a year I will not reach pinnacle. Actually been diamond plus for quite a while and really have nothing, as far as C&A benefits, to keep me loyal to RC. Knowing I won't reach pinnacle (doubtful) I might as well cruise several lines.

Lets hope RC are reading this thread or someone who knows anyone from RC puts this idea forward.

The new ships are creating Suite lounges which means D+ not allowed so maybe that might be something that could come in at a tier below Pinnacle.

I agree with you it does make you think about transferring your cruise line preference.

Lets hope RC are reading this thread or someone who knows anyone from RC puts this idea forward.

The new ships are creating Suite lounges which means D+ not allowed so maybe that might be something that could come in at a tier below Pinnacle.

I agree with you it does make you think about transferring your cruise line preference.

So you want more cruisers in the Suite Lounge? We are Diamond and prefer the way it is now. There is a Diamond Lounge for D and D+ on ships with a Suite Lounge.

At some point there will need to be an adjustment to C&A numbers.

Why would it make me think about transferring my cruise line preference? I sail with RCI because I like the ships and the product. If I didn't it wouldn't matter what C&A benefits I get or how many points I need for the next level because I'd be gone.

So you want more cruisers in the Suite Lounge? We are Diamond and prefer the way it is now. There is a Diamond Lounge for D and D+ on ships with a Suite Lounge.

I think the point Grapau27 and I were trying to make is that there needs to be levels between Diamond Plus and Pinnacle. As it stands right now, a "new" diamond gets almost the same benefits as a diamond plus with hundreds more points as far as lounges are concerned. Doing away with the concierge lounge in favor of suite lounge actually took away from diamond plus cruisers.

I think the point Grapau27 and I were trying to make is that there needs to be levels between Diamond Plus and Pinnacle. As it stands right now, a "new" diamond gets almost the same benefits as a diamond plus with hundreds more points as far as lounges are concerned. Doing away with the concierge lounge in favor of suite lounge actually took away from diamond plus cruisers.

I don't disagree with you. We might make D+ one day but as far as perks go, no real effect. So, if they created let's say D++ , wouldn't they still have access only too Diamond Lounge?

We enjoyed the Suite Lounge and although it never was totally full on our cruise, add another level who would then have access would just end up having the same issues as today.

Totally agree. I love ships with the the DL/CL set up. That means I can go back and forth from one lounge or the other should one be more crowded than the other. And one big thing for me...if the coffee machine is broke in one, I can go to the other one!! :D On Oasis, that choice has been taken away. :(

I really thought, since there has been a huge influx of D's (and growing larger as the baby boomers are cruising more) that when the 3 drink vouchers came out...that would have been their perk...drink in any lounge of their choice. RCI then going to Suites lounge (for Suites only) and a top tier lounge (D+/Pinnacle lounge) on all ships. That's what I get for thinking I guess..:o

And also agree about the "unnamed level" at 350. The half way club?? ;)

Why would it make me think about transferring my cruise line preference? I sail with RCI because I like the ships and the product. If I didn't it wouldn't matter what C&A benefits I get or how many points I need for the next level because I'd be gone.

I agree with you to a certain extent. However, many people do strive to reach diamond/diamond plus and enjoy the benefits. However, with the current point system there is such a huge gap between diamond plus and pinnacle that once you reach diamond plus there is no longer an incentive.

I cruise for the ship, itinerary, price (in no particular order), but it would be nice if RC gave an additional discount or benefit level that I could at least consider into my decision.

I agree with you to a certain extent. However, many people do strive to reach diamond/diamond plus and enjoy the benefits. However, with the current point system there is such a huge gap between diamond plus and pinnacle that once you reach diamond plus there is no longer an incentive.

I cruise for the ship, itinerary, price (in no particular order), but it would be nice if RC gave an additional discount or benefit level that I could at least consider into my decision.

"Half way club" gets another bottle of wine, and meal with an officer. But also agree...would be nice to have more perks at that level. :)

Totally agree. I love ships with the the DL/CL set up. That means I can go back and forth from one lounge or the other should one be more crowded than the other. And one big thing for me...if the coffee machine is broke in one, I can go to the other one!! :D On Oasis, that choice has been taken away. :(

I really thought, since there has been a huge influx of D's (and growing larger as the baby boomers are cruising more) that when the 3 drink vouchers came out...that would have been their perk...drink in any lounge of their choice. RCI then going to Suites lounge (for Suites only) and a top tier lounge (D+/Pinnacle lounge) on all ships. That's what I get for thinking I guess..:o

In reality, it has not. We jump to DL if coffee machine is broke in CL/SL. You have the same choice we do.

PC are welcome in the Suite Lounge. It sounds like some think D+ have the same perks as Suites or the other way around.

In reality, it has not. We jump to DL if coffee machine is broke in CL/SL. You have the same choice we do.

PC are welcome in the Suite Lounge. It sounds like some think D+ have the same perks as Suites or the other way around.

In reality it has...for D+ on Oasis that are not in a full suite. We do JS cabins on our cruises. Just enough room and save over spending on a GS or above (extra $$ equals more cruising).

On ships without an SL...we DO have a choice with DL/CL. Not in our case on Oasis.

Sure...ALL of us have a choice (if we can afford it) to opt for full suites. What about those that are on a fixed income or don't want to spend the extra? Good for you that you can afford to cruise in the full suites with your unlimited income!! :D

In reality it has...for D+ on Oasis that are not in a full suite. We do JS cabins on our cruises. Just enough room and save over spending on a GS or above (extra $$ equals more cruising).

On ships without an SL...we DO have a choice with DL/CL. Not in our case on Oasis.

Sure...ALL of us have a choice (if we can afford it) to opt for full suites. What about those that are on a fixed income or don't want to spend the extra? Good for you that you can afford to cruise in the full suites with your unlimited income!! :D

Ok I'll bite. Who do you suggest should have access to Suite Lounge?

Diamond plus have access to the diamond and concierge lounge. However, on ships where they now have a suite lounge in place of a concierge lounge (and no concierge lounge), diamond plus have access to the diamond lounge only. That's what diamond plus lost.

In order to have access to the suite lounge you have to be pinnacle or staying in a suite.

We are D+ so are in a position to comment and when you get to D+ you might understand.

CL are for Suite guests, Pinnacle and D+.

SL are for Suite guests and Pinnacle only.

On all ships bar Oasis class we can sit in a lounge frequented by Suite guests so it is a demotion for D+ on Oasis class ships when we are not allowed in the SL.

The majority of the benefits of the Crown & Anchor levels have very little actual value... almost to the point of them being bullet points is moderately embarrassingly pitiful.

And even though there's no level name between Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club, there is basically a tier there of sorts in the middle at 340 points, and even one more at 525.

Here's the major points, and even some of these are arguably of little real value:

30+ Balcony discounts

80+ Diamond Lounge access (and 3-drink coupons/day)

80+ Priority Departure

80+ Daily breakfast w/specialty coffee

80+ Entertainment tour

175+ Priority Seating at theater, ice show and AquaTheater events

175+ Concierge Lounge access

175+ Behind the scenes tour

175+ Personalized gift/amenity

340+ Meal with an officer

340+ Solo cruise fare reduced; are now always 150% instead of 200%

340+ Upgraded bathroom amenities

340+ Additional "gift"

525+ Another additional "gift"

700+ Gold Card (privileges like access to Suite Lounge)

@700 Cruise certificate for 7-night Balcony stateroom

@1050 Cruise certificate for 7-night Balcony stateroom

@1400 Cruise certificate for 7-night Junior Suite stateroom

@1750 Cruise certificate for 7-night Junior Suite stateroom (and every 350 points hereafter)

I travel solo, and would very much like that benefit at 340 points. In fact, except for the occasional 7-day cruise freebies much later on, that's the only one I think of as any real, truly measurable, ongoing value to me. :) I started cruising with RCL October 2016 and will have reach Diamond level during a cruise at the end of November 2017, so I'll have the first chance to enjoy those few benefits on a cruise I have book in January 2018. If I keep this up, I might manage the 340 points in another 3 to 3.5 years.

Ok I'll bite. Who do you suggest should have access to Suite Lounge?

The bottom line is still the same ....D+ losing access to a CL (an alternate lounge to use) on ships that have gone to the SL/DL set up. On those ships D+ have the DL as the only lounge available.

Not that many years ago, D's had access to the CL...they were kicked out...but then RCI added the Diamond Lounges to ships to make up for it. Nice to have that choice for those that have made it to the D+ level that still exists on other ships.

We are D+ so are in a position to comment and when you get to D+ you might understand.

CL are for Suite guests, Pinnacle and D+.

SL are for Suite guests and Pinnacle only.

On all ships bar Oasis class we can sit in a lounge frequented by Suite guests so it is a demotion for D+ on Oasis class ships when we are not allowed in the SL.

I clearly understand. If one would like to have access to both the Diamond Lounge or Suite Lounge and are not Pinnacle, then book a Suite. To us, it means a lot to have a access to the SL/CK. It means so much that we will continue to book full Suites on Oasis and Quantum Class.

Ships have limited space as they are confined within the hulls. Would you like 3 lounges? A Diamond, a D+, and then a Suite Lounge?

We love all that too and have been tremendously​ loyal to RC but if they dilute our benefits you tend to open your eyes to other lines.

We have done 45 cruises 27 on RC and out of our last 17 cruises 14 were with RC.

Guest maddycat
Diamond+ has access to the reserved seats at shows that suites and Pinnacles have access to.

That wasn't the case on our May Anthem cruise.

Exactly my point.

In the lower tiers there are several tiers,Gold, Emerald etc whereas from D+ most of us will never make the next step to Pinnacle because it is another 525 points to reach so some extra tiers would be an incentive to stay with RC.

Exactly my point.

In the lower tiers there are several tiers,Gold, Emerald etc whereas from D+ most of us will never make the next step to Pinnacle because it is another 525 points to reach so some extra tiers would be an incentive to stay with RC.

Ok, make a D++ and then D+ and D++ have access to Diamond Lounge (renamed D Plus). Diamonds get 3 drink vouchers that can be used at the other bars.

CL/SL reserved for Pinnacle and Suite Guest.

Great idea we like the choice of both lounges and RC say we can share with Suite guests on most ships in a CL they then say no to Oasis class SL.why?