Best way to stay in touch with kids

My family will be sailing on the NCL Getaway over spring break 2018. My DD will by 12 years old. She has cruised before but the last time with us she was 9 and wasn't allowed to wonder around alone. I would feel comfortable her exploring parts of the ship alone or with new friends but I am not sure of the best way to keep in touch with her (checking in, meeting place/time, etc). I would be happy to pay for 2 phones to have the i concierge app to text but I am very worried she will lose her ipod/phone so I don't know if i want her carrying it around. I've done walkies in the past too but hey are annoying. Any suggestions from cruising parents/families would be appreciated.

If you don't feel she's responsible enough to have a phone, then by all means, don't give her one. Ha!

Here's what we have done. We specifically told our son 2 places where we might be. If we were not in one, we'd be in the other. Same for him - he would have permission to be in 2 places only. If either of us wanted to go somewhere else, we'd have to go find the other to tell them where we would be, or we couldn't go. He was NOT permitted to be in cabin hallways (even our own) without one of us accompanying him, so leaving notes in the cabin would not have worked. This plan worked fine for us. He was responsible enough to do as he was supposed to do. Once he reached age 11, he was trusted with a phone, so that made it easier.

I am wondering about this as well. We have one daughter, her first cruise, so no friends or siblings. But, I want her be able to do her own thing, such as "hit the waterslides, we will see you later!" type of thing. I just have no idea how the phone thing works. And in the case where she is on her own, going to the waterslides, where would her phone go while riding. I am assuming even if in a waterproof case, she would not be allowed to carry it on a waterslide. Just trying to figure out logistics. I have no issues with her being in the cabin or hallways alone, so we may do the note/dry erase system.

I think you should tell your daughter where YOU will be, and have her physically check in with you from time to time....texting tells you nothing, really....get a good look at her, find out what her next plans for the next couple hours are...tell her where you'll be, and have her check in with you (or you can check on her) in a bit.

I don't think "roaming or wandering" is a good idea. If they have a specific place to be, or thing to do...that's fine. But "run of the ship"? Nope. Trouble waiting to happen.

I let my 12 year old go "shopping" with her new friend for 1 hour then she had to come back to where we were. I let her run around the waterslides/rope course while I was on the pool deck somewhere or go get snacks in the buffet, things like that. We made sure she knew where to find us and it worked well.

I am wondering about this as well. We have one daughter, her first cruise, so no friends or siblings. But, I want her be able to do her own thing, such as "hit the waterslides, we will see you later!" type of thing. I just have no idea how the phone thing works. And in the case where she is on her own, going to the waterslides, where would her phone go while riding. I am assuming even if in a waterproof case, she would not be allowed to carry it on a waterslide. Just trying to figure out logistics. I have no issues with her being in the cabin or hallways alone, so we may do the note/dry erase system.

There would be no need for her to have a phone for this. She will wave bye to you, and go do the slide. Then she will wave to you when she gets off the slide, and then repeat. If you aren't going to be around, you let her know where you will be, and she will check in with you at that spot at the designated time. You will have a responsibility to be where you are supposed to, just like she will.

I went on a cruise on carnival when I was 12 (I'm almost 18). What my family would do is we'd all do our own thing during the day and then we'd all have dinner together. It was a good way to check in on everyone without being overbearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you have some old phones sitting in the drawer that you no longer use? Since iconcierge works on wifi, you could use that phone with less risk of loss.

And, since it does not have cellular, then no chance of data or voice calls going through.

It is odd how much has changed. I did my first cruise when I was 11 or 12 while he would have put it around 1980. I got up and did my own thing each day. Only time I talked to my parents was at dinner or maybe when I went to sleep which was right after the midnight buffet. No check in or saying we're I was going to be. I still remember my mother comment. There is no place for me to go. She knew I was going to be on the ship somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app