Audio Book Recommendations?

sensasianl

I am considering a cruise that originates from a port that is within driving distance to save on airfare. To pass the time, I was hoping someone could recommend some books on CD that I could listen to while in the car. I saw the "summer reading on a cruise" thread, but since I can't read and drive at the same time , I thought this might be a good alternative to pass the time.

I've never used audio books before, so I don't know much about them. I imagine a lot depends on the genre and the skill of the person who does the reading/recording. I like mysteries, suspense, satire...anything, really, and would love to discover something new as well.

Also, where do you get your audio books? I am not averse to getting them second hand (eBay or another website?) I was thinking of just going to my local Barnes & Noble, but not sure if they have a decent selection or how good their prices are.

Thanks for any and all recommendations!

Celebrity Galaxy 3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800  till Sapphire Princess

I find books on tape (or cd) to be quite expensive. I prefer to sign them out of the library if we're taking a roadtrip. I just started listening to them, and admit that it takes me a while to get in to it. I suppose I was expecting different voices to "act" as different characters as opposed to a straight reading.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Sapphire Princess

Most libraries loan audio books just like regular books. Could be on either CD or tape. The CD's are easier to use - no changing and rewinding of the tape, but there is usually a more plentiful supply of the tapes. Second hand book stores are also a good source. Sadly, Oxford Books is no more, but I'm sure there are other good second hand stores in Atlanta. One of the best resources is Cracker Barrel - the roadside restaurants. You can buy books from them at full price, then sell them back to any other Cracker Barrel with just a small service charge taken out - less than $5 if I remember correctly. When I was living in Atlanta and visiting Lafayette (a 600-mile drive), I used to stop at one on the way out of Atlanta, exchange for another one when I got to Lafayette, then sell it back when I got back to Atlanta. It is truly a fabulous way to make the time go by.

These days, virtually any book you can read can be found in audio, so just choose something you enjoy. One warning - audio books come in both abridged and unabridged versions. The abridged ones are most common, though libraries often have the unabridged. Look on the cover and see what the run time is. How long it took to listen to used to be one of my criteria.

Good luck, Donia

I stongly agree with the last post. I get mine from the library but find the deal at Cracker Barrel to be excellent. I just listened to the Da Vince code, (Cracker Barrel), and it kept my attention on a very long car ride at night. Right now I am listening to "The Sea Wolf" by Jack London that I got from the library and while it was hard to get started I am now hooked. Try both places and pick up something that appeals to you. Actually I would get two books just in case. Happy listening.

We love Ebay for our audio books. We buy 'em for car trips and also for my daily walks (usualy about 3.5 miles) - much more entertaining than music - You can really get into the story. We love Dean Koontz, Stephen King, James Patterson; I personally love J.D. Robb, Nora Roberts, and Mary Higgins Clark. When you're done with your books, you can always resell them on Ebay.

Oh yeah, also try www.half.com - great for audio books, regular books, CDs, etc.

Deb in South Florida

Caribbean Princess 01/08/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;01;15;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas 3/14/04

Golden Princess 01/25/03

Voyager of the Seas 12/01

Majesty of the Seas 11/00

Carnival's Ecstasy 12/99

Carnival's Paradise 11/98

NCL Westward 9/93

MS Dolphin 9/92

Sky Princess 4/91

Regent Sun 4/90

[This message was edited by SoFloDeb on 06-14-04 at 05:39 PM.]

DoniaG, I could write you a list longer that that Venice Review that we got today of books that I liked. I HIGHLY recommend Recorded Books Unlimited editions of books. They are HANDS DOWN the best out there. If you have the money, you can buy/rent them at http://www.recordedbooks.com. If not, most libraries carry them.

There versions of the Harry Potter Books are to DIE for. I read the books the olde-fashioned way first. However, I was in the car with my brother (23 yo) and he was listening to one. The guy who reads them won a Grammy for his performance.

Anyway, that is my audiobook shpeal. I read them every moment I was in the car for the last 6 months and have read 25 books.

If you want anymore recommendations on all genres (because I read like it's goin' out of style) feel free to email me. My contact info is on my site (link below).

JON

www.geocities.com/pattersandmenus

Golden Princess Southern Caribbean-7/11/04

Click to go to the ROLL CALL!

Big Red Boat-1993

Celebrity Zenith-1993

Thanks, Jon -

You and my friend Tish (with whom I'll be travelling) need to trade recommendations - she has a book going when she drives from her house to mine - and that takes all of 7 minutes. She was also enchanted by the Harry Potter books on tape. I've loved reading them too much to listen to them first. However, it's now been a few years since I started on them, so I may go back and listen to them this time. Now that I no longer drive between Lafayette and Atlanta (as I did for several years), I don't listen to books very much. I get too much pleasure from reading them!

Donia (DoniaG@aol.com)

Lillian Jackson Braun is a good author too. George Guidall(SP) is the reader and I like his voice.The Cat Who........is in the name of the books we like. Have one in the car now.

Also an author by the last name of Gilman(can't remember her 1st name)Writes books about Mrs.Pollifax. This are good too.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I never even thought about the library. I went by there tonight and they had hundreds of audio books, but they were all on tape. I also went by Cracker Barrel and they had a decent selection (couple dozen titles) that were on CDs. The average price was $30, but you do get to return them minus $3.50, which is a pretty good deal.

I browsed through recordedbooks.com and they have a great selection. Rentals are about half the price of purchase, and you get to keep them for 30 days. I also got a suggestion to check out Audible.com. They have a subscription plan for $19.95/month and you can download two books each month. If I get hooked, this may be a good way to go. Very convenient if you want to transfer to an MP3 player or burn to your own CDs.

I appreciate the recommendations on books and authors. I'm jotting them down and will look for them next time.

Again, thanks for all the input!

Celebrity Galaxy 3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800  till Sapphire Princess

Archived