First time Celebrity cruiser... EXCITED!

TheGinBoy

Hi Guys!

Thought I'd say hello in the Celebrity forums.

My partner, James, and I have just booked our first Celebrity cruise about Solstice (Sept 2018 - Norwegian Fjords). :D

In the past have been largely #LoyalToRoyal (having sailed Royal Caribbean many times) but have also dabbled with Princess and NCL. ;)

Always wanted to sail with Celebrity though. I think the ships are beautiful, elegant, works of art - and I appreciate good service and sea views over bells & whistles. I think the Solstice class really gives you the best of both.

I do have a few questions though, if that's OK, anyone who can answer them for me would be fab! :halo:

1. We got a deal that bundled the 'Classic Alcohol Package' for free. Is it possible to upgrade that to the Premium package onboard/in advance? I love me a martini.

2. Different cruise lines handle spa facilities differently. Royal Caribbean allow all guests to access the sauna & steam room free of charge, where as NCL charge a fee. What's the deal over on Celebrity?

3. I've seen lots of videos with a bar covered in frost/ice - looks so cool (bad pun intended), is this aboard the Solstice? And if so which bar?

4. Our Norweigian Fjords cruise is 8 nights. How many formal nights will there be? And is it worth buying a specialty dining package?

5. Any other hints, tips, tricks, advice for a first time Celebrity cruiser - and for the Solstice in particular? We're in a Deck 6 Balcony cabin if that helps!

Thanks, Tom :*

Hi Guys!

My partner, James, and I have just booked our first Celebrity cruise about Solstice (Sept 2018 - Norwegian Fjords). :D

In the past have been largely #LoyalToRoyal (having sailed Royal Caribbean many times) but have also dabbled with Princess and NCL. ;)

Always wanted to sail with Celebrity though. I think the ships are beautiful, elegant, works of art - and I appreciate good service and sea views over bells & whistles. I think the Solstice class really gives you the best of both.

I do have a few questions though, if that's OK, anyone who can answer them for me would be fab! :halo:

1. We got a deal that bundled the 'Classic Alcohol Package' for free. Is it possible to upgrade that to the Premium package onboard/in advance? I love me a martini.

Yes you can upgrade and well worth it as you will get better martini's with premium alcohol when you request it.

2. Different cruise lines handle spa facilities differently. Royal Caribbean allow all guests to access the sauna & steam room free of charge, where as NCL charge a fee. What's the deal over on Celebrity?

Celebrity has Aqua class. Those guests have free access to the persian garden which has the steam room and sauna. You can pay a small fee to use if you desire any day. IMO not the greatest- but if you love it, you will enjoy.

3. I've seen lots of videos with a bar covered in frost/ice - looks so cool (bad pun intended), is this aboard the Solstice? And if so which bar?

The ice covered Martini bar is on all ships. It is ice covered and the bartenders put on a show for you, mixing and pouring martini's. You will love it.

4. Our Norweigian Fjords cruise is 8 nights. How many formal nights will there be? And is it worth buying a specialty dining package?

Usually two- No called Chic nights- you can wear a suite, tux or whatever you want with the exception of shorts, sneakers , flip flops and jeans. Some people enjoy dressing up others just dockers and button down shirts- your call.

5. Any other hints, tips, tricks, advice for a first time Celebrity cruiser - and for the Solstice in particular? We're in a Deck 6 Balcony cabin if that helps!

Deck six is great- you do not have far to go for coffee to cafe Bacci or any other public space- however you have to go up a few flights to the buffet and pool.

If you are a royal diamond member, you will be a celebrity elite member and entitled to the same elite perks that are great- include discounts on many things. Make sure that you enrollee in the Celebrity Captains club before your cruise.

Sit back and enjoy your cruise.

Yes, you can upgrade to the premium package once on board. Unless something has changed there is really no benefit to upgrading ahead of time. The bar you are talking about it the Martini Bar. With the premium package you will be able to enjoy the many martinis that they have!! If you don't upgrade to the premium package you will have to pay the difference . It would be somewhere around $3.50 plus gratuity. If you enjoy martinis upgrading would be a no brainer....to me anyway!! Enjoy!!

Another point- do try the specialty restaurants. The Solstice has Qsine- excellent food from around the world served Tapas style, Murano-an elegant french/steak house and Tuscan grill- an Italian style restaurant. The ship also has sushi on five- if you like sushi- nice for lunch. The ship has a grill no charge- for burgers and fries. Unfortunately the lawn grill is only available on the reflection and silhouette. You can typically buy on board or take a package before hand. Sometimes you can get a discount on board for the first and last nights of the cruise at the specialty restaurants.

We did the Fjords cruise in May, it was fabulous!

I think most of your questions have already been answered but just a point re speciality dining. We love the wake views from Tuscan. If you check your itinerary I think you will find there are a couple of ports where if you book Tuscan at 6pm (request a window seat) you can enjoy the cruise back out of the Fjiords while you leisurely dine....We did this from Geiranger it was a magical evening!

Have a great cruise!

Gin Boy,

The Martini Bar is a great place. Personally, I like vodka martinis and my vodka of choice is Christiana from Norway. They also have premium gin but I don't know gins.

Try the World Class Bar! Great handcrafted cocktails. Try the Zacapa Old Fashioned. It is made with Zacapa 23 rum and is a great drink.

Hi Guys!

1. Upgrade to the premium package once on board. This can be done at any bar--so skip the line to upgrade when you're in the cruise terminal. You can even use OBC to do this.

2. AquaClass has the access to the spa facilities of which you speak included with their fare. All others, including suites, pay a fee.

3. As someone said before, it's the Martini Bar. You'll have a blast there...they make great drinks (who doesn't love a martini) and the bartenders do a lot of flair bartending, i.e.. flipping bottles around, pouring 15-30 drinks at once, etc. You can find videos on YouTube--very cool.

4. I think one formal night, but it might be two. Sorry I can't help more on that. Note that "Formal Night" is now called "Evening Chic" on Celebrity meaning that people are dressier but not necessarily suit and tie/evening gown.

5. Try various specialty restaurants--we really like QSine as it is a dining experience unlike any you've had elsewhere. Be hungry when you go, though. They'll feed you into submission in there. And the chocolate tombstone is wonderful. Specialty restaurants can be booked on-board--though I'm not sure about a dining package. ALSO, as much fun and as good as the Martini Bar is, I'd also recommend you try the World Class Bar. They craft excellent cocktails there and we found it to be our hangout on our last Solstice Class cruise. Finally, if you make friends with someone in a suite, and they offer to take you to Luminae, accept the invitation.

To update the formal nites.. there are none... they are called Evening Chic. You can dress anyway you would like. Some men may wear a sports coat.. you won't see many if any tux or long gowns.

Hi GinBoy. I don't want to nitpick the great information that Cruise a Holic has given, just want to point out that jeans are absolutely permitted on any night.

"Usually two- No called Chic nights- you can wear a suite, tux or whatever you want with the exception of shorts, sneakers , flip flops and jeans. Some people enjoy dressing up others just dockers and button down shirts- your call."

Now, I will probably get flamed for this, as jeans seem to draw a lot of ire from folks, but I'm just pointing out facts. Below are a couple of excerpts from a FAQ document that Celebrity published to deal with the backlash when they changed to Evening Chic.

Guest: I don’t want to be in the dining room in a tuxedo or gown, and sit next to someone in jeans or a shirt.

Answer: I can understand that. The beauty of Evening Chic is that guests who wish to wear traditional formal wear can still do so, and guests who wish to dress up a nice pair of jeans, or wear their favorite little black dress can do so, too. It’s about feeling free to get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. We hope that if you feel amazing in formal wear, you’ll feel amazing on Evening Chic nights, and that whoever is sitting next to you feels amazing, too, however they like to get glamorous.

Guest: What do you mean by designer jeans?

Answer: This means “nice jeans” (in the UK, they’d be referred to as “smart jeans”) with no holes, rips or tears. Jeans that you dress up a bit, with a nice top and shoes/heels for women, and a dress shirt, button-down shirt, or sweater for men,with or without a jacket.

So there you go, just to ensure you have the full story. For me, I will be wearing my Paige Croft dark wash jeans. But they will be accompanied by a tailored linen jacket, long sleeve dress shirt, and most importantly a great pair of leather double monk strap shoes. I wouldn't wear jeans without a jacket, but that's just me......

Hi guys, are you not on silhouette rather than solstice. Yes the silhouette has the ice topped martini bar. Yes you can upgrade before or onboard and onboard if only one on the cabin wants the more expensive drinks then one can upgrade without the other o e.

As you're called the gin boy I'm sure you'd like to know about the gins , there aren't many onboard but enough for a nice drink. There are 3 different Bombay, tanquery and 10, Gordon's and beefeater.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi GinBoy. I don't want to nitpick the great information that Cruise a Holic has given, just want to point out that jeans are absolutely permitted on any night.

"Usually two- No called Chic nights- you can wear a suite, tux or whatever you want with the exception of shorts, sneakers , flip flops and jeans. Some people enjoy dressing up others just dockers and button down shirts- your call."

Now, I will probably get flamed for this, as jeans seem to draw a lot of ire from folks, but I'm just pointing out facts. Below are a couple of excerpts from a FAQ document that Celebrity published to deal with the backlash when they changed to Evening Chic.

Guest: I don’t want to be in the dining room in a tuxedo or gown, and sit next to someone in jeans or a shirt.

Answer: I can understand that. The beauty of Evening Chic is that guests who wish to wear traditional formal wear can still do so, and guests who wish to dress up a nice pair of jeans, or wear their favorite little black dress can do so, too. It’s about feeling free to get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. We hope that if you feel amazing in formal wear, you’ll feel amazing on Evening Chic nights, and that whoever is sitting next to you feels amazing, too, however they like to get glamorous.

Guest: What do you mean by designer jeans?

Answer: This means “nice jeans” (in the UK, they’d be referred to as “smart jeans”) with no holes, rips or tears. Jeans that you dress up a bit, with a nice top and shoes/heels for women, and a dress shirt, button-down shirt, or sweater for men,with or without a jacket.

So there you go, just to ensure you have the full story. For me, I will be wearing my Paige Croft dark wash jeans. But they will be accompanied by a tailored linen jacket, long sleeve dress shirt, and most importantly a great pair of leather double monk strap shoes. I wouldn't wear jeans without a jacket, but that's just me......[/quot

I agree wearing nice jeans IMO look fine. especially with a blazer. I was referring to the jeans the kids wear today full of rips and dirty looking . Funny years ago I would throw them in the garbage. Now you pay extra for that look! Lol

There is a sauna in the men's and women's rest rooms in the spa area. As an Elite CC member you will each get a pass to the Persian Gardens for one sea day. PG has heated loungers, sauna, steam room and rain shower. They sell a limited number of passes for PG to those not in Aqua Class.

You cannot be on the Solstice since that ship is sailing the Alaska itineraries. You are probably on a Solstice class ship, but depending on which one, they differ in the restaurants on board. Although you need to be in an Aqua Class room to access the Persian Garden there are saunas and steam rooms in the locker rooms available to all for no charge. Since you will be Elite on Celebrity (do get your Captains Club set up before you go) you will get a one day pass to the Persian Garden on a port day.

The Martini Bar is on all Celebrity ships. There will be 2 Evening Chic (which means anything you want it to mean) nights vs formal nights.

Enjoy!

You cannot be on the Solstice since that ship is sailing the Alaska itineraries. You are probably on a Solstice class ship, but depending on which one, they differ in the restaurants on board. Although you need to be in an Aqua Class room to access the Persian Garden there are saunas and steam rooms in the locker rooms available to all for no charge. Since you will be Elite on Celebrity (do get your Captains Club set up before you go) you will get a one day pass to the Persian Garden on a port day.

The Martini Bar is on all Celebrity ships. There will be 2 Evening Chic (which means anything you want it to mean) nights vs formal nights.

Enjoy!

We were on Reflection recently and the sauna in the locker room was available free of charge but not the steam room. If you are interested in both you can pay for a pass for the week- there are a limited number of passes available on the first day so get there early! They also have the heated thermal loungers which are amazing.... instant nap!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Hi Guys!

Yes you can upgrade and well worth it as you will get better martini's with premium alcohol when you request it.

Celebrity has Aqua class. Those guests have free access to the persian garden which has the steam room and sauna. You can pay a small fee to use if you desire any day. IMO not the greatest- but if you love it, you will enjoy.

The ice covered Martini bar is on all ships. It is ice covered and the bartenders put on a show for you, mixing and pouring martini's. You will love it.

Usually two- No called Chic nights- you can wear a suite, tux or whatever you want with the exception of shorts, sneakers , flip flops and jeans. Some people enjoy dressing up others just dockers and button down shirts- your call.

Deck six is great- you do not have far to go for coffee to cafe Bacci or any other public space- however you have to go up a few flights to the buffet and pool.

If you are a royal diamond member, you will be a celebrity elite member and entitled to the same elite perks that are great- include discounts on many things. Make sure that you enrollee in the Celebrity Captains club before your cruise.

Sit back and enjoy your cruise.

Couple of quick comments, at the Martini bar watch or try the Martini Flight. I believe it's 13 different types of martini's in small glasses but the bartenders put on quite a show.

You will usually have two Evening Chic nights which take the place of the formal nights. One correction on the above post and that is that Jeans are perfectly acceptable on any night and have been for several years. The Evening Chic nights only apply to the Main Dining Room, not the Specialty restaurants or the rest of the ship. They do request if you are going to the theater that you remain in your dinner dress but in reality nobody has enforced that in years.

Upgrading the classic beverage package to premium will cost $11.80 per person per day. Depending on what and how much you drink it may or may not pay. Celebrity now allows you to pay the difference if you order a drink that is above the classic package allowance. It may be more cost effective to opt for the difference if you think that your per drink overage will be less than that per day, or if you think you will not exceed that amount daily.

There is no clothesline that stretches across the shower to hang wet bathing suits in the shower on Solstice Class ships. We purchased a set of heavy duty magnetic hooks from Amazon and bring some twine, and hang them in the shower. It works well.

Another question I had, but forgot to ask...

On the Royal Caribbean ships, well up to Freedom Class (not Quantum or Oasis Class), you can go outside on Deck 5 'Promenade Deck' and walk ALL THE WAY around the ship. From the stern to see the wake, to the helipad at the front.

Can you do that on the Solstice class ships?

Another question I had, but forgot to ask...

On the Royal Caribbean ships, well up to Freedom Class (not Quantum or Oasis Class), you can go outside on Deck 5 'Promenade Deck' and walk ALL THE WAY around the ship. From the stern to see the wake, to the helipad at the front.

Can you do that on the Solstice class ships?

Unfortunately, no. Deck 5 does not extend all the way aft and the bow/helipad area is not open to the public like on some RCL ships. Much of deck 5 is also obstructed by life boats and other equipment too. You would have to go up to deck 14 or higher to get to any substantial outdoor space.

You're right. It is the Silhouette. I'm sorry. The names are so similar I get confused!

The names are similar...and they all deal with light. And Silhouette is anSolstice Class ship. Equinox and Eclipse also confuse people...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're right. It is the Silhouette. I'm sorry. The names are so similar I get confused!

The good news is that the Silhouette- our favorite celebrity ship-tied with Reflection- has the Lawn Grill. We love this restaurant- You will enjoy the ship- it is newer then the Solstice and we love the top deck- not sure if you will use as much as we do when sailing in warmer climates.

Enjoy

We have been on both ships and the Equinox too and loved them all but the Silhouette is the favorite with a great crew and amazing service. Not being a drinker and eating a low carb/low fat diet I am the wrong to speak to food a drinks.....just go and enjoy it. It is a great experience.