Foods Not to Eat at the Buffet

I know it's the opposite intent of this thread, but can anyone recommend good stuff to look out for on RC Oasis buffet? I don't have the patience for two hour dinners, but I'm somewhat apprehensive about the way I've heard people discuss the Windjammer.

I've usually been able to find something edible on the big NCL ship buffets, for context.

ROFL, you are clueless. Food standards are very strict even more so on ships with the possible spread of norovirus. All food are labeled, dated and discarded. If they got caught doing as your accusing them the inspectors would shut them down or receive hefty fines or both.

Expiration dates must be checked before each cruise. I can tell you that chance of left over eggs even making it to the expiration date is slim to none, all stock are used based on the dates they came on board or expiration.

Any eggs that has been previous deshelled have a very short life hours not days.

Have you never heard of Eggbeaters? They are eggs which have been deshelled and stored in cartons. Yes, most, if not all of the yolk is removed, but they are eggs.

"Clueless" - a term which you should perhaps not use without a bit more understanding.

ROFL, you are clueless. Food standards are very strict even more so on ships with the possible spread of norovirus. All food are labeled, dated and discarded. If they got caught doing as your accusing them the inspectors would shut them down or receive hefty fines or both.

They are not talking about the cruise employees keeping older eggs

There are products called "liquid eggs" they are eggs that are usually not going into the whole egg cartons you buy in the supermarket

They are put in bags/cartons etc..& sent to institutions & manufacturers for cakes & other things that need eggs

Cruise ships use them for baking & scrambled eggs in those big pans at the buffet

My dislikes.....the hard boiled eggs...because they're overdone,, with greenish yolks. And almost all of the desserts...they look lovely, but usually don't taste very special. The one notable exception is the chocolate chip cookies. They're not "homemade" style...in fact, they look a lot like Mr Christie's Chips Ahoy. But they're good!

Personally, I like my hot food...hot. However, in buffets, it is usually warm. This is ok for me except for scrambled eggs. Even if they are put out hot, by the time I get to the table they are only warm. So no scrambled eggs for me. Everything else, the rule is, If I like it, I will eat it. PS. I love Turkey Bacon...yes turkey bacon, turkey bacon, turkey bacon.

Hi there. I'm working on an article for Cruise Critic about foods to avoid at the buffet, and I figured I'd ask our awesome members for some input. Are there items you avoid? If so, what are they, and why do you avoid them? Thanks in advance!

I'm finding bias in the original premise of the article. What to avoid? How about a balanced review of specific buffets

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everything on the buffet is ok to eat. Just select what you might like or just want to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good post above .....

Just select something you might like.

If you don't like it at home, you probably won't like it at the buffet. ;)

Hi there. I'm working on an article for Cruise Critic about foods to avoid at the buffet, and I figured I'd ask our awesome members for some input. Are there items you avoid? If so, what are they, and why do you avoid them? Thanks in advance!

Ashley - You silly, silly lady ROFL!

Is there really an article in the mill, or are you laughing yourself silly by asking CC a simply question bound to stir up opinion, whip up controversy, searing images of all things awful, half baked food theories, poached responses, shredded sanitation myths, or pureed preferences? Shall I go on? I have only skimmed the surface!

You have tossed an idea to the hungry masses, allowing personal bias to simmer. Your request had rendered others to lam-baste the buffet.

I find you a mischief maker who can cure the boring article; you score well on that account.

So let us not dredge bad memories of food gone sour, but rather fold this contribution into a sweet souffle of fun.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I avoid the iced tea from concentrate. I'll make my own. I avoid eating most of the food in the buffet because it's nicer to be served a proper meal. DH also doesn't have a lot of self-control in buffets.

Have you never heard of Eggbeaters? They are eggs which have been deshelled and stored in cartons. Yes, most, if not all of the yolk is removed, but they are eggs.

"Clueless" - a term which you should perhaps not use without a bit more understanding.

To be fair I did not think you had originally described Eggbeaters. You talked about eggs taken out of their shells and stored in cardboard boxes. I did not read that the same as the processed egg whites. I guess because they contain eggs as the primary ingredient, then Egg Beaters are eggs. But they sure aren't the same. :)

Egg Beaters are packaged egg whites with various flavorings added. I don't think they are the same as the "cartons" previously described.

I suspect some of the scrambled eggs I've had in the buffet are powdered eggs.

I strongly suspect that the scrambled eggs in the buffet are powdered eggs, which are just dehydrated eggs (with maybe powdered milk?).

Egg beaters are a very processed egg white product, containing 31 ingredients: Egg(s) Whites, Water, Pepper(s) Red, Pepper(s) Green, Onion(s) Contains Less than 1% of the following:, Pepper(s) Chili, Salt, Spice(s), Onion(s) Powder, Garlic Powder, Flavoring Natural, Food Starch Modified, Yeast Extract Autolyzed, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Lactic Acid, Color(s) Artificial (Beta Carotene), Vitamins And Minerals (Calcium Sulphate (Sulfate), Ferric Phosphate, Alpha Tocopherol (Tocopheryl) Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (HCL), Biotin, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin D3.

They are not talking about the cruise employees keeping older eggs

There are products called "liquid eggs" they are eggs that are usually not going into the whole egg cartons you buy in the supermarket

They are put in bags/cartons etc..& sent to institutions & manufacturers for cakes & other things that need eggs

Cruise ships use them for baking & scrambled eggs in those big pans at the buffet

I always thought the buffet scrambled eggs were from powdered or "reconstituted" eggs, which I suppose is another form of liquid eggs. Either way, liquid eggs sure makes sense when you think of the quantities stored. I suspect that and cost is why commercial bakeries use them. Still, they are a processed food with preservative added if that makes a difference.

I strongly suspect that the scrambled eggs in the buffet are powdered eggs, which are just dehydrated eggs (with maybe powdered milk?).

Egg beaters are a very processed egg white product, containing 31 ingredients: Egg(s) Whites, Water, Pepper(s) Red, Pepper(s) Green, Onion(s) Contains Less than 1% of the following:, Pepper(s) Chili, Salt, Spice(s), Onion(s) Powder, Garlic Powder, Flavoring Natural, Food Starch Modified, Yeast Extract Autolyzed, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Lactic Acid, Color(s) Artificial (Beta Carotene), Vitamins And Minerals (Calcium Sulphate (Sulfate), Ferric Phosphate, Alpha Tocopherol (Tocopheryl) Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (HCL), Biotin, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin D3.

Oops, sorry. Kind of hop-scotched over your post. And yes thanks for clarifying that Egg Beaters are far from just de-shelled eggs.

I do love this thread!:D