Need Advice for Public Transit in Stockholm!

wangy26

We will be in Stockholm on Aug 31, 2017 (9 AM - 4 PM) via Celebrity Silhouette. We will dock at F638 FRIHAMNEN.

We would like to visit Vasa, Skansen, take walk in old town (Gamla Stan), and possibly city hall if time permitted. My understand from reading this board is that bus #76 seems to go to most of these places. However, I don't know what order of visits to these places would be most efficient from public transit point of view.

I would really appreciate it if someone can advise me on the order of the visit and how to take the bus (where to get on and get off) for each place. For the time we have is the itinerary realistic?

Thanks very much for your help!

We took the Hop-on-hop-off bus. There are a couple different companies and options. The "city bus" line includes a combination of both bus and boat. This way you get a running commentary of interesting bits of history etc and they stop at all the highlights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just did this 2 days ago. Took bus 76 to the Vasa, stop Djurgarden. Then after the museum walked South along the shore towards the amusement park and took ferry #82 to Slussen which is where old town, Gamla Stan starts. Then at the end of the day took 76 bus back to port. Just remember what the stop looks like because there are a few Frihamen stops. All of this on a 24 hour pass that we bought at the terminal building. At the TI desk. Note when going to the Vasa the 76 is in the direction of Nora "something" and then going back it's towards Ropston. Hope this helps it was really easy and clean. You won't have time for city hall. If you can get a copy of Rick Steve's Northern European Cruise ports he has great directions that I followed

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

We will be in Stockholm on Aug 31, 2017 (9 AM - 4 PM) via Celebrity Silhouette. We will dock at F638 FRIHAMNEN.

We would like to visit Vasa, Skansen, take walk in old town (Gamla Stan), and possibly city hall if time permitted. My understand from reading this board is that bus #76 seems to go to most of these places. However, I don't know what order of visits to these places would be most efficient from public transit point of view.

I would really appreciate it if someone can advise me on the order of the visit and how to take the bus (where to get on and get off) for each place. For the time we have is the itinerary realistic?

Thanks very much for your help!

I have to say that you wont' have time to do all the things you want to do.

City Hall is only possible to visit with guided tours to which tickets have to be acquired the same day as you want to visit.

Most cruisers starts with Vasa and then heads over to Gamla Stan before heading back to the ship.

Transportation advice from my thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312690

From Frihamnen (Stockholm Frihamnen) to Vasa.

Bus #76 towards Norra Hammarbyhamnenm, get off at Djurgårdsbron and follow the signs to Vasa.

Transport from Vasa to Old Town/Royal Palace:

Bus #76 from Djurgårdsbron towards Norra Hammarbyhamnen.

Get off at Slottsbacken (Royal Palace).

Slottsbacken stop:

https://www.google.se/maps/place/Slo...ae90c60a10e94f

Djurgårdsfärjan from Allmänna Gränd to terminal at Skeppsbron (south east corner of Old Town).

To return to the ship, travel with bus #76 towards Ropsten, get off at Frihamnens färjeterminal.

We were in Stockholm for two days and just about did all you would like to do in a day!

Vasa was half a day and I could have spent almost a full day in there. To give it a quick look, take a few photos and leave would not give it justice.

City Hall was full booked for both guided tour and tower.

Thank you all so much for the advice. This is exactly what I was looking for. So I will take the City Hall off the list. The ferry seems like a very nice way to travel between these two places.

meicheraxo

Do you remember how frequent the ferry runs? Is there any place I can find the timetable for the ferry? How much time should be allocated for the old town?

We spent a day in the Old Town and the Vasa Museum a couple of years ago when we were in Stockholm on a port stop. However, we took the 76 bus to Old Town first, then the ferry to the Vasa Museum and the 76 bus back to Frihamnen. We started out in Old Town in order to do the Free Tour Stockholm of Old Town at 11:00 am. It was an excellent 2-hour tour and you just tip the guide (well because it's deserved) at the end of the tour. The tour ends up near where the ferry docks and they leave every 15 minutes. Here's a link to the Free Tour Stockholm website: http://freetourstockholm.com/free-tours/

After the walking tour, we took the ferry (and it was a nice way to travel) over to Djurgarden where the Vasa Museum is located. Plan on spending at least 3 hours, if not more, in the Vasa Museum. Be sure to take the tour included with your admission--it's very good.

From there, we walked back to a 76 bus stop and went back to our ship.

Because we had heard that food was so expensive in Stockholm (and we didn't want to waste precious time in restaurant), we took our water bottles and a snack to eat. Our tablemates said we made the right decision because it cost them about $60 for 2 plates of herring and 2 beers.

If you get the Rick Steves "Northern Europe Cruise Ports" guidebook (which I highly recommend you do) , he has excellent information on how to get around on the bus and ferry. He also has a good walking tour which you can do in lieu of the Free Tour Stockholm or in addition to it. We did parts of the Rick Steves walking tour in addition to the Free Tour because there were some things RS included which were not on the Free Tour. We felt it was well worth our time to do both.

Thank you all so much for the advice. This is exactly what I was looking for. So I will take the City Hall off the list. The ferry seems like a very nice way to travel between these two places.

meicheraxo

Do you remember how frequent the ferry runs? Is there any place I can find the timetable for the ferry? How much time should be allocated for the old town?

If you Google Stockholm transportation the website for the bus and ferry will come up and it was easy to put in the destinations. Looked like the ferry picked up every 20 min, all it does is go back and forth so it's pretty quick

Thank you all so much again for the help. I do have the RS book. But the book is 2015 edition and some info is not up to date. The book says the the ferry runs every hour. That is why I am a little worried about the ferry schedule. I feel more comfortable now that it runs every 15 min.

Thank you all so much again for the help. I do have the RS book. But the book is 2015 edition and some info is not up to date. The book says the the ferry runs every hour. That is why I am a little worried about the ferry schedule. I feel more comfortable now that it runs every 15 min.
Yeah since that ferry #82 goes right to the amusement park it runs much more frequently

Thank you all so much again for the help. I do have the RS book.

But the book is 2015 edition and some info is not up to date. The book says the the ferry runs every

hour. That is why I am a little worried about the ferry schedule. I feel more comfortable now that it runs every 15 min.

I think you or him have mistaken that for another ferry. Djugårdsfärjan (#82) never runs once per hour.

M/S Emelie runs once an hour but that is a different ferry.

Edited by Desdichado62

Google Maps can be used to plan public transit travels. It was very effective and when there, gives you scheduled time for each stop.

Download the SL app. You can purchase tickets when you're there.

Do Vasa first. Spectacular to see. We got there around 8:30, went in right away and spent a few hours. Line up was out the door at 11.

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

If you have not already done so, you will find it useful to do some reading ahead of time about what there is to see and do at Skansen. It's huge, and you could easily spend all day there, so if you are including Vasa and Gamla Stan as well, then I would make a detailed plan for Skansen. For example, do you want to see the animals? Will you allow time for an inside visit to some of the buildings? Which entrance point will fit best with your plans?

There is an interactive map here:

http://www.skansen.se/en/skansenkartan?place=172

Hope you have as much fun in Stockholm as we did in May!

• 11 months later...

When we were there last year, the passes could be purchased from the tourist booth inside the terminal, where there may be a long line. In theory, they can also be purchased from a machine at the bus stop, but doing so is kind of complicated; in our opinion, the machines are not user friendly and we ended up going back to the terminal to buy the passes. If I recall correctly, it's about 700 metres from the terminal to the bus stop, but it's flat and I don't think it would be a difficult walk with luggage.