Konningsdam: Which Varandah Cabins Are The Larger Ones?

Cahpek

When we were on the Koningsdam recently, and had booked into a "VE" Varandah cabin/stateroom, we felt that the cabin was rather "cramped" in comparison to varandah cabins in ships with many other cruise lines. However, apart from the room size, most other things seemed to be fine (we even discovered a way how to "speed up" the waiter service, which has been commented to be quite slow, in the Main Dining Room! As for so many of the not-so-good desserts in the buffet, we just avoided them, no big deal.)

We are planning on another cruise with the Koningsdam next year, and whilst doing our research, we discovered that the size of the varandah staterooms varies from 228 sq ft to 420 sq ft. We guessed that the stateroom we were in during our last cruise was probably the smaller 228 sq ft one.

Does anyone know if we go for the higher priced Varandah staterooms, that the size of the rooms would be bigger? Which varandah rooms, and which level of the rooms (eg VA, V, or VS) would we get the 420 sq ft accommodation? We won't mind paying a bit extra for a bit more room and comfort.

We checked on CruiseCritic.com , and so far, could not find any information about that. Can anyone help please?

PS: We just realised we misspelt the name "Koningsdam" with two "n's" on the Thread Title . (Oops , sorry about that!)

Edited by Cahpek

As I understand it, deck 4 verandah cabins have larger balconies than on other decks. I believe the size of the cabin itself remains the same. If you are looking for more room with your cabin and verandah, you would have to book a vista or signature suites.

I am booking the Koningsdam for a family cruise in 2019 and am very excited to sail this beautiful ship.

The VS cabins in the center of the stern (e.g. 5206,5225,6216,6235,8192,8201) are a bit longer than the side verandah cabins, and cabins at the bends (e.g. 6152,6169, 7134, 7123) have an extra triangular piece.

There are also HC cabins with more room (5152, 5171) but you shouldn't book those if you don't need the HC features like roll-in showers. Other than cabins like that, most of the size variation that HAL quotes comes from the difference in balcony sizes. Inside, the standard VE that you had is the same size as the standard VD, VC, VB, VA, and V. The 420 sq ft ones are probably 4154 and 4156 with double-wide and the extra deep balconies of deck 4.

Edited by catl331

Cabin sizes of all balcony categories are virtually the same. The difference is the size of the balcony. We stayed in cabin 4020 on Kdam recently and the balcony is huge. This is deck 4, forward. All of these forward cabins have very large balconies, some with steel railings instead of plexiglass. They are also the lowest priced of all balcony categories. We loved it!!

... we discovered that the size of the varandah staterooms varies from 228 sq ft to 420 sq ft. We guessed that the stateroom we were in during our last cruise was probably the smaller 228 sq ft one.
A standard VE is 22'x9' inside with a 6'x9' balcony, so HAL would say that it is 252 sq ft.

Cabin sizes of all balcony categories are virtually the same. The difference is the size of the balcony. We stayed in cabin 4020 on Kdam recently and the balcony is huge. This is deck 4, forward. All of these forward cabins have very large balconies, some with steel railings instead of plexiglass. They are also the lowest priced of all balcony categories. We loved it!!

What room number were you in?

A standard VE is 22'x9' inside with a 6'x9' balcony, so HAL would say that it is 252 sq ft.

Just spoke to a travel agent and she checked and told us that the vast majority of varandah cabins on the HAL Koningsdam

are just 180 sq ft. !

Just wonder where that 228 sq ft-420 sq ft comes from???!!!! Who can we believe?The size of the cabins seems to be getting SMALLER and SMALLER !!!! Help !!!!!....

Just spoke to a travel agent and she checked and told us that the vast majority of varandah cabins on the HAL Koningsdam

are just 180 sq ft. !

Just wonder where that 228 sq ft-420 sq ft comes from???!!!! Who can we believe?The size of the cabins seems to be getting SMALLER and SMALLER !!!! Help !!!!!....

These measurements are including balconies, which can differ greatly. 228 is cabin and balcony.

The VS cabins in the center of the stern (e.g. 5206,5225,6216,6235,8192,8201) are a bit longer than the side verandah cabins, and cabins at the bends (e.g. 6152,6169, 7134, 7123) have an extra triangular piece.

There are also HC cabins with more room (5152, 5171) but you shouldn't book those if you don't need the HC features like roll-in showers. Other than cabins like that, most of the size variation that HAL quotes comes from the difference in balcony sizes. Inside, the standard VE that you had is the same size as the standard VD, VC, VB, VA, and V. The 420 sq ft ones are probably 4154 and 4156 with double-wide and the extra deep balconies of deck 4.

We had one of the double-wide balconies (4154) in January. The balcony was amazing! I didn't feel like the cabin was at all cramped either.

The larger balcony cabins on the Koningsdam would be the ones designated as vista suites. They are larger than the regular verandah cabins and are AS, A and BC and are located midship. It is easy to think of them as just balcony cabins.

We were in V6128 ( top category verandah) with a huge angled extended balcony. While the spacious balcony was nice, it was very disappointing that there was no additional furniture provided other than the standard upright two chairs, one footstool, and one low side table about 12 inches in diameter. It was really just a lot of wasted space since we were told we were not "allowed" to receive any additional furniture, even though this space could have easily seated a dozen people.

The cabin was the smallest and most cramped we have ever had on a HAL ship.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Forums mobile app

We will be staying in VS6216 on Kdam. I've done a number of searches, but have not been able to find any pictures or info from anyone who has stayed there. I've even checked the site that has pictures of a lot of HAL cabins, but nothing at all shows up of any of the aft cabins on Kdam. I would love to see pictures if anyone has some they would be willing to post. :D

Hello Lady Arwen. How was your stay in 4020? We are going to be in 4005 (after seeing the good review on HALfacts). So I was wondering?
We loved it! Nice deluxe cabin with a sofa. The balcony was very large! You could fit 10 people on it no problem. However, you still only get 2 chairs and a very small table. Would have loved to have had a larger table to eat at, but not a deal breaker. You are situated right over where the BB King Blues Band plays and it was quite noisy the nights they played....usually til about 10:30pm. We stay up late, so not an issue. I would highly recommend these cabins, as long as you are okay with being so far forward.

We loved it! Nice deluxe cabin with a sofa. The balcony was very large! You could fit 10 people on it no problem. However, you still only get 2 chairs and a very small table. Would have loved to have had a larger table to eat at, but not a deal breaker. You are situated right over where the BB King Blues Band plays and it was quite noisy the nights they played....usually til about 10:30pm. We stay up late, so not an issue. I would highly recommend these cabins, as long as you are okay with being so far forward.

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I've read that these are nice cabins, with a really big balcony. We were in 4013 and moved up to 4005 as the review I read said that they couldn't even hear the stage performances.

When I called to move forward today; the agent said she was surprised that we were moving more forward. Are most people worried about the motion?

WRT table: What about using the inside coffee table out on the balcony?

Edited by kwbtraveler
Add comment

• 1 year later...

Agree that VB4154 and VB4156 have one of, if not largest of the veranda balconies.

The Vista class and Signature class have 2 cabins in the same general area with the same large balconies.

You can check online for some 'halfacts' and you might be able to find some pictures as well.

I was not able to find any video of photos of larger balcony cabin 8080 ,on Koonigsdam only photos of regular  veranda balcony seems much smaller then other Hal 🚢 ships  and only have small table for drinks It seems small enough just to have a few cups of coffee I was wondering if anybody can tell me if bigger table will be able to fit on that particular balcony ?so we could enjoy breakfast or lunch on the veranda. So far all the photos or videos of the ship regular veranda balconies have only two chairs and a small drink table it seems that there are no space for a bigger table that you could take meals on the veranda

Edited by honey-bunny