San Juan Questions

sunset785

We are looking at doing a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan the last week of June 2018 as a family. We would fly into SJU late Friday night to have all day Saturday in San Juan. Cruise would leave on Sunday. What time is check in on the ship on Sunday? Can we check in and then get back off the ship? What do people typically do with such a late departure? Also, is there a gift shop or something after security at the port? I have seen threads with people saying they purchased liquor here. Is this still possible?

Also, we would arrive back in San Juan the following Sunday at 7 am. What time do people schedule flights for? We would have our two kids with us (almost 4 and 6 years old) and I don't want to do a whole bunch of waiting around. I'm sure they will be super tired and possibly cranky so the faster we head out, the better for us (and those around us ;p) but I wouldn't want to book something too early and we are anxious all morning to get to our flight. Plus I'm sure traffic and such may be a pain.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Flight schedules are not out yet for what we are looking for but I'm still researching and gathering information. Thanks!

You can usually begin check in around noon or so, can drop your bags off anytime. You can explore Old San Juan, go to the beach, or just relax on the ship after unpacking. If you go out, remember that you need to be back for muster prior to sailing.

Can't really help you with the liqquor shopping, I've never done it since I don't drink booze, but I kind of heard here they've tightened that up lately.

I've made flights out of SJU as early as 10AM, and that was from a Celebrity walk off where I didn't have any Platinum (back then) level status. Remember to get your agricultural stamp 1st thing at the airport prior to getting on any ticket, luggage drop off, or security lines.

One thing I usually mention about SJU cruises, is that FTTF purchase doesn't really get you much except the priority line at guest services.

The only concern that I have is flying home after the cruise. When we sailed out of SJ, there were 3 other ships arriving at the same time. This made it VERY difficult to get to our flight in time. We stood in line for the Delta counter for over 3 hrs! Then another 2 hrs in security line. Our flight was boarding when we got to the gate.

We decided that if we ever sailed from SJ again, we would book a late afternoon flight or just spend the night there and fly home the next day. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

We are looking at doing a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan the last week of June 2018 as a family. We would fly into SJU late Friday night to have all day Saturday in San Juan. Cruise would leave on Sunday. What time is check in on the ship on Sunday? Can we check in and then get back off the ship? What do people typically do with such a late departure? Also, is there a gift shop or something after security at the port? I have seen threads with people saying they purchased liquor here. Is this still possible?

Also, we would arrive back in San Juan the following Sunday at 7 am. What time do people schedule flights for? We would have our two kids with us (almost 4 and 6 years old) and I don't want to do a whole bunch of waiting around. I'm sure they will be super tired and possibly cranky so the faster we head out, the better for us (and those around us ;p) but I wouldn't want to book something too early and we are anxious all morning to get to our flight. Plus I'm sure traffic and such may be a pain.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Flight schedules are not out yet for what we are looking for but I'm still researching and gathering information. Thanks!

Your hotel plan is perfect. You will be able to board around 10:30-11, so drop off anything that you do not want to bring with you back into OSJ to the porters. You are allowed off of the ship until 8:00PM I believe, and everything is within walking distance of the ship dock in OSJ, so you could easily check out one or both of the forts, do some shopping, etc on Sunday, and save your Friday and Saturday for maye some beach time, Bacardi, or the rainforest. And yes, there is a place to buy liquer in the cruise terminal, but I don't drink, so I don't know much about the process.

I booked my return flight for around 1:30PM, when the airport was undergoing a major construction project, and even after the construction delays, the agriculture inspection your luggage will have to go through before the airline will take it, and security, we still have a few hours to wait. And we disembarked a little later, around 9:00AM. But, many people have different experiences, one small detail or difference in 20 minutes can make the experience of myself and someone else very different when it comes to disembarking and getting to the airport, and then checking in/security. So, I would allocate enough time, like no flights before 12:30-1, but you don't have to wait it out until 2-4PM if you do not have to. You should be fine.

The only concern that I have is flying home after the cruise. When we sailed out of SJ, there were 3 other ships arriving at the same time. This made it VERY difficult to get to our flight in time. We stood in line for the Delta counter for over 3 hrs! Then another 2 hrs in security line. Our flight was boarding when we got to the gate.

We decided that if we ever sailed from SJ again, we would book a late afternoon flight or just spend the night there and fly home the next day. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

I was at SJU about 8AM and it was pretty empty at that time. If you get there around 10AM onward, it can get hectic and crowded. I find the MIA and FLL airports ,are also empty at 8AM. Heck, I once had a 10am scheduled flight changed to an 8:30AM departure at MIA. Not many cruisers arrive that early, so only a few know how empty it really can be. And there are usually 3 or 4 ships discharging passengers every week about the same time..

Most cruisers accept booking flights late, so that is when you get the heavy traffic and congestion.

But you do whatever is comfortable for you. I just prefer to be ahead of the crowds.