Galveston weather concerns

I am in Houston and the latest information we have is that the storm will come ashore tomorrow at Corpus and make a circle and go out to sea again turning NE and hugging the coast passing around twenty miles south of Galveston on Tuesday.

The problem will be flooding of the Island starting tomorrow and them the winds on Tuesday

Best wishes to Galveston/Houston residents and cruise passengers this weekend as now TS Harvey looks to be rapidly intensifying and is expected to reach the coast as a major hurricane. Adding insult to injury, the storm is forecast to stall just inland and linger at least through Tuesday. Not sure how RCI will plan for this potentially dangerous and unusual situation. Any idea where incoming Liberty might be diverted; Tampa?

From the NHS:

1. Harvey has intensified quickly this morning, and is now forecast to be a major hurricane at landfall, bringing life-threatening storm surge, rainfall, and wind hazards to portions of the Texas coast. Preparations to protect life and property should be completed by tonight, as tropical-storm-force winds will first arrive in the hurricane and storm surge warning areas on Friday.

2. A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for much of the Texas coast. Life-threatening storm surge flooding could reach heights of 6 to 10 feet above ground level at the coast between the north entrance of the Padre Island National Seashore and Sargent. For a depiction of areas at risk, see the Storm Surge Watch/Warning Graphic at hurricanes.gov.

3. Life-threatening flooding is expected across much of the Texas coast from heavy rainfall of 12 to 20 inches, with isolated amounts as high as 30 inches, from Friday through early next week. Please refer to products from your local National Weather Service office and the NOAA Weather Prediction Center for more information on the flooding hazard.

My sincerest prayers to residents and cruisers. Everyone please be safe and hang in there. I am sure it will pass and everyone will be safe.

Jumping in so I can see any updates that may come through from people. My family (11 in total) are suppose to be flying in to Houston on Saturday afternoon, and boarding the Liberty on Sunday. We are keeping an eye on everything we can and trying to prepare for all possibilities. Even if we make it into Houston Saturday afternoon, what are the chances we won't be able to make it down to the port Sunday due to flooding? And will the parking lots even be accessible to park? Assuming the ship is even able to make it back into from its current trip due to the port closure right now. Obviously our problems are nothing compared to the residents in the area, but we want to make it work if at all possible so are trying to plan for any scenario to get us close enough to get to the ship if it keeps its schedule or is delayed.

Jumping in so I can see any updates that may come through from people. My family (11 in total) are suppose to be flying in to Houston on Saturday afternoon, and boarding the Liberty on Sunday. We are keeping an eye on everything we can and trying to prepare for all possibilities. Even if we make it into Houston Saturday afternoon, what are the chances we won't be able to make it down to the port Sunday due to flooding? And will the parking lots even be accessible to park? Assuming the ship is even able to make it back into from its current trip due to the port closure right now. Obviously our problems are nothing compared to the residents in the area, but we want to make it work if at all possible so are trying to plan for any scenario to get us close enough to get to the ship if it keeps its schedule or is delayed.

I'm not a meteorologist but...

The Houston/Galveston area is expected to get up to 18 inches of rain from Saturday through Tuesday. The flooding will likely start sometime Sunday, but maybe on Saturday. It depends on how fast the rain is coming down and when it starts. Our freeways are designed to flood to keep the water out of neighborhoods. If you're flying in to IAH and it's been raining really hard for a few hours, it will be dangerous to drive to Galveston. From Hobby, maybe, maybe not. If you are driving yourself, please don't drive through water. (That's how most people have died in our past floods.)

There ought to be another weather update tonight to help you plan. This storm is getting worse faster than predicted. I've been following this blog - he's really good: https://spacecityweather.com

I am in Houston and the latest information we have is that the storm will come ashore tomorrow at Corpus and make a circle and go out to sea again turning NE and hugging the coast passing around twenty miles south of Galveston on Tuesday.

The problem will be flooding of the Island starting tomorrow and them the winds on Tuesday

OMG what a terrible scenario. Hope it's not as bad as it sounds. Thoughts and prayers to all affected.

The airlines are allowing flight changes with no charge.

The area between Houston an Galveston is marsh but the road is fairly high so do not think it will flood but the road to the port may. One of the things they are concerned about is if the storm comes past Galveston moving to the NE, the bay side may cause the flooding and there is no seawall protection from that side of the island,. There is only a seawall on the Gulf side.

August 24, 2017 11:56 AM

TROPICAL STORM HARVEY

On Thursday, Aug. 24 at 11:30 AM the Captain of the Port set port condition Yankee for the Port of Galveston and surrounding area, meaning that gale force winds are expected to reach Galveston within 24 hours.

The Port remains closed to all vessel traffic and commercial activities, however all mariners are advised to take prudent actions in preparation of the approaching storm. All facility and vessel operators should continue to make heavy weather preparations to include ensuring all loose cargo, cargo equipment, and other loose items are safely secured. In addition, all vessel moorings should be reinforced.

We urge you to stay alert and stay tuned to local weather for updates.

As of ten minutes ago..

The Port of Galveston issued an update on their Facebook Page to indicate no changes have been made yet to Liberty of the Seas' itinerary, but Royal Caribbean is monitoring the path. At this time, Liberty of the Seas will keep her original schedule for Sunday’s turnaround in Galveston, TX. Should the cruise line make any changes to Liberty of the Sea’s itinerary, Royal Caribbean will make sure to inform their guests and travel partners.

Royal will have a new update at 12pm tomorrow.

As of ten minutes ago..

The Port of Galveston issued an update on their Facebook Page to indicate no changes have been made yet to Liberty of the Seas' itinerary, but Royal Caribbean is monitoring the path. At this time, Liberty of the Seas will keep her original schedule for Sunday’s turnaround in Galveston, TX. Should the cruise line make any changes to Liberty of the Sea’s itinerary, Royal Caribbean will make sure to inform their guests and travel partners.

Royal will have a new update at 12pm tomorrow.

It's going to be hard to do a turnaround if the port is closed

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The hurricane center issues updates every 3 hours, so keep an eye on what they are saying. There have been significant changes as it's gotten closer, many coastal towns are only now evacuating because it has intensified much more than anticipated.

Liberty can not be diverted to Tampa because she is too large to go under the Sunshine Bridge and can't handle the narrow twisting channel to the port.

So is the only option to keep her at sea until Galveston is operative? New Orleans doesn't seem a good choice since the storm may track in that direction from Tuesday/Wednesday. This is shaping to be a real mess, especially for those booked on Liberty from 8/27.

So is the only option to keep her at sea until Galveston is operative? New Orleans doesn't seem a good choice since the storm may track in that direction from Tuesday/Wednesday. This is shaping to be a real mess, especially for those booked on Liberty from 8/27.

New Orleans could take Liberty. It's truly the only viable option other than staying out to sea. Mobile port couldn't handle Liberty. Next closest US port would be Miami

Thanks to everyone providing info for those of us coming in from out of town. So my questions would be...

1. Yes, I can make flight changes, but where would people suggest we fly into if we still need to drive to Galveston? Everything in Texas in that vicinity seems to have the same warnings. If we go into Dallas we still would need to get through the freeways in Houston?

2. We currently have a hotel booked Saturday night near IAH. Would people suggest we change that and drive south to Galveston as soon as we land to get out of the Houston area asap due to the flooding issues they seem to have around there? Or would that just be pure stupidity to drive down there Saturday evening?

I know everything is just speculation and nothing is for sure with these hurricane paths, but I am just sick to my stomach at the thought of the cruise happening, but us not getting to it due to poor planning on our part.

I wouldn't change anything yet, wait until RC makes a change. It would be silly to fly anywhere else. And the last thing you want to do is rush down here to be stranded on an evacuated island. If you have insurance or booked the cruise and flights using a credit card that has trip insurance, I would be looking at what you are going to need to do to claim on that in the event that weather cancels either the cruise, or just the flights. If you don't have insurance, cross your fingers that RC cancels it I guess!

Does anyone have any experience with coming into a port after a storm? My parents, son and daughter in law are all on the Liberty now and have cars in the port parking lot. Should I try to make a hotel reservation for them for Sunday? If the cars are not drivable they will need time to figure out what to do. Any suggestions to make this a little easier for them would be appreciated!

Does anyone have any experience with coming into a port after a storm? My parents, son and daughter in law are all on the Liberty now and have cars in the port parking lot. Should I try to make a hotel reservation for them for Sunday? If the cars are not drivable they will need time to figure out what to do. Any suggestions to make this a little easier for them would be appreciated!

Are you close enough to drive down and get their car?

Thanks to everyone providing info for those of us coming in from out of town. So my questions would be...

1. Yes, I can make flight changes, but where would people suggest we fly into if we still need to drive to Galveston? Everything in Texas in that vicinity seems to have the same warnings. If we go into Dallas we still would need to get through the freeways in Houston?

2. We currently have a hotel booked Saturday night near IAH. Would people suggest we change that and drive south to Galveston as soon as we land to get out of the Houston area asap due to the flooding issues they seem to have around there? Or would that just be pure stupidity to drive down there Saturday evening?

I know everything is just speculation and nothing is for sure with these hurricane paths, but I am just sick to my stomach at the thought of the cruise happening, but us not getting to it due to poor planning on our part.

I would not drive down to that area if I were you. I would wait until tomorrows update from the cruise line and then make your decision. Based on the information on NOAA, that storm is coming in hard and is going to linger. With the port already closed, I really doubt Liberty is going to make it into port anytime before Tuesday. Total speculation on my part, but it doesn't look good at all. Plus, I wouldn't doubt if they start having mandatory evacuations of that area.

I feel bad for you and everyone who is supposed to be boarding Liberty, but I would wait until noon tomorrow for the update and then act fast.