re meat pies

Just make sure that the BBQ shapes are the original recipe. They had to bring them back due to complaints as the new recipe ones are terrible.

I've never been a big fan of BBQ shapes, Vegemite either for that matter. But thought it would give our visitor some suggestions.

That would not be my reaction to finding meat in a pie.[/quote

Indeed, had me worried too, some strange animals in those Victorian Alps, who knows what carnivore ended up in the Yea Bakery pie.:loudcry:

Now the poor kids are 'Veggies.' Scary.:eek:

Many years ago before Coeliac got me, we were in W.A. and I sampled an Emu pie, very nice. Had a crocodile pie up in NT too. Amazing what sort of meat they put in pies, some of it an absolute mystery. Hence 'Mystery Bag' is another name for a meat pie.:')

Many years ago before Coeliac got me, we were in W.A. and I sampled an Emu pie, very nice. Had a crocodile pie up in NT too. Amazing what sort of meat they put in pies, some of it an absolute mystery. Hence 'Mystery Bag' is another name for a meat pie.:')

Oh Uncle Les, I always thought that a "mystery bag" was a sausage?

Why is a sausage called a mystery bag you may well ask?

Well we would like to know the answer to that too!!!

But is it generally believed that the contents of a sausage could be anything (hence the Mystery). indeed some years ago it was reported that sawdust - yes sawdust of all things, was a important ingredient of the sausage.

And to my knowledge sawdust is not even meat!

But I would have to agree, a meat pie could certainly fit into the same category.

I have had a few in my time where the contents of the pie certainly was of a very dubious source (yes source, not sauce).

Oh Uncle Les, I always thought that a "mystery bag" was a sausage?

Why is a sausage called a mystery bag you may well ask?

Well we would like to know the answer to that too!!!

But is it generally believed that the contents of a sausage could be anything (hence the Mystery). indeed some years ago it was reported that sawdust - yes sawdust of all things, was a important ingredient of the sausage.

And to my knowledge sawdust is not even meat!

But I would have to agree, a meat pie could certainly fit into the same category.

I have had a few in my time where the contents of the pie certainly was of a very dubious source (yes source, not sauce).

Certainly 'Mystery Bag' is a term for humble sausage or 'snag' as we call them. But for many years I have also heard meat pies referred to as 'Mystery Bags,' 'Dogs Eyes' and probably some more OZ vernacular.:halo: Certainly in Sydney or as some old timers call Sydney... 'Steak & Kidney.'

I did work in a butchers shop whilst at school, when I was about 14. A little Sawdust did go into snags as a filler with all the minced up rubbish the butcher had back in the early 60's. (1960's that is NOT 1860's) lol.:mad:

Yes back in ye olde days undisclosed items went into Snags and meat pies. These days of course most ingredients have to be disclosed, but not always. A butcher can tell you anything about his snags.

Believe it or not , but I have heard that sometimes there is actually minced meat in them. :eek:

Ah, the magic word...mince. Takes me back about 10 years ago when we had Pom relos out. We were down in Beechworth, Victoria. The relo went into a pie shop without me and asked for a 'mince pie', this was in August. The shop assistant said 'Mince pie? We only make them at Christmas.' The relo then left the shop confused and hungry.:(

He wanted a minced meat pie and should have said that. Mince pie to some means the ones with mixed fruit - sultanas, currants etc in them, you know the ones we have at Chrissie.

Ah, the magic word...mince. Takes me back about 10 years ago when we had Pom relos out. We were down in Beechworth, Victoria. The relo went into a pie shop without me and asked for a 'mince pie', this was in August. The shop assistant said 'Mince pie? We only make them at Christmas.' The relo then left the shop confused and hungry.:(

He wanted a minced meat pie and should have said that. Mince pie to some means the ones with mixed fruit - sultanas, currants etc in them, you know the ones we have at Chrissie.

I know them well, one of the only pies that I eat without tomato sauce.

Yep and some of the small places make the very best. A little bakery in Tasmania make one of the best I've ever had, and believe me I've had a few, but it's easier for a local to find a good one than a visitor that's why I try to suggest a few that are pretty easy to find.

I'm on a cruise ship that will be going to Tasmania. Where is this place?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Us poms call that stuff with fruit etc, mincemeat also,although we dont use the full name and call them mince pies.

I'm on a cruise ship that will be going to Tasmania. Where is this place?

Tasmania is an island state of Australia. It is located 240 km to the south of the Australian mainland, separated by the Bass Strait. The state encompasses the main island of Tasmania, the 26th-largest island in the world, and the surrounding 334 islands. The state has a population of around 519,100 as of June 2016, just over forty percent of which resides in the Greater Hobart precinct, which forms the metropolitan area of the state capital and largest city, Hobart.

A major attraction are the convict ruins at Port Arthur. Have fun. Let us know if you need more info.

Tasmania is an island state of Australia. It is located 240 km to the south of the Australian mainland, separated by the Bass Strait. The state encompasses the main island of Tasmania, the 26th-largest island in the world, and the surrounding 334 islands. The state has a population of around 519,100 as of June 2016, just over forty percent of which resides in the Greater Hobart precinct, which forms the metropolitan area of the state capital and largest city, Hobart.

A major attraction are the convict ruins at Port Arthur. Have fun. Let us know if you need more info.

I'm so sorry. I meant the meatpie place you were referring to that is located in Tasmania. What is the name of it?

I have Googled Tom Diddle unsuccessfully. Please explain. Are the meat pies like pasties?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Pasties are made with pastry, sometimes with flaky pastry but do not not have gravy in them. They contain meat, potato, carrot, onion, the odd pea etc. They were developed by the Cornish miners long ago as a means of taking their food into the mines. Pasties are also popular here and available at many bakeries, just like the meat pies and sausage rolls.:p Why not have a three course meal, with tomato sauce of course.

Above all enjoy.

Us poms call that stuff with fruit etc, mincemeat also,although we dont use the full name and call them mince pies.

Thanks brian1, no wonder my relo was confused then. He got his mince, meat, fruit and the festive season all mixed up. He should have asked me for a translation, lol.

;p

Pasties are made with pastry, sometimes with flaky pastry but do not not have gravy in them. They contain meat, potato, carrot, onion, the odd pea etc. They were developed by the Cornish miners long ago as a means of taking their food into the mines. Pasties are also popular here and available at many bakeries, just like the meat pies and sausage rolls.:p Why not have a three course meal, with tomato sauce of course.

Above all enjoy.

Being a vegetabletarian Mrs Gut has her pastie without meat, silly woman.