re meat pies

23 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Pea soup is one of the few things that just don't appeal to me. I do enjoy a good butternut squash soup though. For me it's not "simple" to make, it starts by roasting the cut up squash with a middle eastern spice called raz al hanuit. From there it's pretty simple. I usually finish it in the bowl with a swirl of heavy cream.

I sometimes make soup with roasted pumpkin (either butternut or regular pumpkin). Depends what I feel like doing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes, my mother used to make Oxtail Stew and Oxtail Soup, back in the 1950's and 1960's. You could buy oxtails from ye olde butcher, back then.

My mother did too, easy to get the oxtails when my grandfather owned butcher shops.

44 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes, my mother used to make Oxtail Stew and Oxtail Soup, back in the 1950's and 1960's. You could buy oxtails from ye olde butcher, back then.

I've seen oxtails in Coles occasionally, usually in winter. I like to make oxtail stew when I can get it. My butcher also has it sometimes.

I'm not a fan of pea and ham soup either. I like pumpkin soup but haven't made it for ages for somme odd reason. Ditto cauliflower soup. Currently I have turkey noodle soup, lamb and barley soup, and tomato and basil soup in the freezer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

OXTAIL SOUP, has anyone seen that in a can in recent years? ,Used to have it as a kid, home made and in a can.  I also had it a couple of times in 2012 on P&O UK - Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton.   Oxtail Soup is a British thing. Lubbly Jubbly.

You reminded me of a story from years back. We had a Chinese guy as maintenance manager at our factory - he was fairly new to Australia. One day he was asking about traditional Aussie food & Al, a real practical joker if ever there was one, told him that his favourite was pig's bum soup!!

17 minutes ago, mr walker said:

You reminded me of a story from years back. We had a Chinese guy as maintenance manager at our factory - he was fairly new to Australia. One day he was asking about traditional Aussie food & Al, a real practical joker if ever there was one, told him that his favourite was pig's bum soup!!

He must have thought that was weird, the Chinese deep fry those parts😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mr walker said:

Growing up Pea & Ham soup was a family staple in the winter months. Mum would make up a batch in a big steel pot (more like a bikkie barrel than a cooking pot) for the weekend & we would all get our fill 'til Sunday night. It was special soup that never seemed to runout - a bit more water & 30' on the heat & we were all good to go again. Good memories.

I used to love it especially using Christmas ham bone, unfortunately none of family eat. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

I sometimes make soup with roasted pumpkin (either butternut or regular pumpkin). Depends what I feel like doing. 

Yes I worked out I prefer roast pumpkin soup over just boiling it. Also cook with rosemary and other herbs. 

Haven't made a pumpkin pie or gramma pie for ages. If lock down continues I might have to find a recipe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kate59 said:

Yes I worked out I prefer roast pumpkin soup over just boiling it. Also cook with rosemary and other herbs. 

Haven't made a pumpkin pie or gramma pie for ages. If lock down continues I might have to find a recipe.

I once found a great pumpkin pie recipe. I haven't made it in ages but I think I still have it somewhere. It had just the right amount of spices in it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr walker said:

Did it taste like pigs cheek? That is the in thing in yuppy restaurants these days. Pigs cheek in jus, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Sadly they never do…just like McDonalds  😂 😷😷😷

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Some are closer than others, Herbert Adams pies are one of the ones that do come close.

Yep, the Herbert Adams pies do look very much like the photo on the box and they taste pretty good too. They are my go to pies to have in the freezer.

• Like 1

One point to remember about Food Photography...    first rule is only just cook it....  if fully cooked it does look its best.....   

So if it looks like the picture  it need more cooking......

Don  with G&T       

getting ready  for seared Tuna and sparkling Shiraz  ( chips and salad as well )

13 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I just had a spinach and goat's cheese pizza (specially selected from aldi), it looked just like the picture and tasted delicious.

I bought some pizzas from Aldi yesterday. I saw the s & gc version but gave it a miss, maybe next time. I went for a pepperoni (which I've had before) and a tandoori chicken (new to me). I had a margerita last week but wasn't real keen on it. I had a mushroom one a few weeks ago which was very good.

I like their thin & crispy bases.

Edited by lyndarra
added info

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I bought some pizzas from Aldi yesterday. I saw the s & gc version but gave it a miss, maybe next time. I went for a pepperoni (which I've had before) and a tandoori chicken (new to me). I had a margerita last week but wasn't real keen on it. I had a mushroom one a few weeks ago which was very good.

I like their thin & crispy bases.

You can always add some ingredients to the supermarket pizzas to make them more palatable.  I get the Dr.Oetkers GF pizzas and top them off with mushrooms, onion, capsicum etc.

Many of the supermarket frozen pizzas are manufactured in Europe, Germany, Belgium etc.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

You can always add some ingredients to the supermarket pizzas to make them more palatable.  I get the Dr.Oetkers GF pizzas and top them off with mushrooms, onion, capsicum etc.

Many of the supermarket frozen pizzas are manufactured in Europe, Germany, Belgium etc.

I just checked the pepperoni box. Made in Australia, 78% Australian ingredients. I sometimes a some extra cheese. Two others say packed in Australia, 21% Australian ingredients. Hmm.

My cats love sleeping on the empty boxes for some reason.