In Barbados 10am-midnight - what to do?

Alsmez

We are going to be in Barbados on a Tuesday in January 2018 and have slightly odd hours - 10am until midnight. This means that many of the full-day tours that start at 8:30 or 9am won't be possible, but definitely opens up a host of other things that last into the evening.

I've been doing some research and thus far, a tour of St. Nicholas Abbey, cliff jumping at Crane Beach and/or a sunset catamaran sail sound the most interesting to me. DH and I enjoy boating, swimming, snorkeling and water activities in general, although we are not really beach people unless there is something active to do - we get bored (and burnt!) just lounging and sunbathing.

Anyway, given our port times, do any of you experts have better ideas as to how we can make the most of our day in Barbados? Is it realistic to think we could do a tour of St. Nicholas Abbey in the early part of our day and still have time for a sunset sail or another water-based adventure? Also, is there any can't-miss nightlife on a Tuesday in Bridgetown? All suggestions appreciated - thanks in advance!

If you are adventurous, rent a car an spend some time inland. We did this in January. My wife and I went to Harrison's Cave and Welchman Hall Gully, very close to each other. Just be careful with the return time. This wasn't an issue with us but may be for you given the late departure time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks - looking at the map and published taxi rates, it seems like renting a car might be the way to go if we want to do St. Nicholas Abbey and Crane Beach. They are about as far away from Bridgetown and each other as you can get! Having a car would let us make a stop at the caves or Hunte's Gardens as well, both of which seem interesting.

• 1 month later...

We've got the same situation in December. We've booked the evening submarine tour, but I'm wondering what to do with the late morning/afternoon before our excursion. Shopping? Beach? Any ideas of what's kinda close to port that is easy to do on our own since we've already booked a late excursion?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We ended up booking a sunset sail/snorkel with Calypso Cruises. I researched several other board favorites but they were either booked or not doing a sunset sail that day. Calypso gets great reviews too, though, so hopefully we'll have a good time. I'll be sure to report back. We may also take a cab over to Crane for cliff jumping if we're feeling adventurous that morning!

We dove in a submarine mid-day off Barbados a year ago with Viking. Anticipation was great, perhaps excessive. The water was cloudy at the reef; we did see a shipwreck en route that attracted many fish. The hurricane may have improved viewing conditions(?). The seating area was cozy with many riders, of good humor. The activity was time-consuming. The operators of the tour were enthusiastic, cordial and helpful.

We've got the same situation in December. We've booked the evening submarine tour, but I'm wondering what to do with the late morning/afternoon before our excursion. Shopping? Beach? Any ideas of what's kinda close to port that is easy to do on our own since we've already booked a late excursion?

Carlisle Bay, with several beach clubs is about a 20 min walk from the port, or a $5 per person shared taxi ride if you prefer. The Boatyard is popular, as are Harbor Lights and Lobster Alive.

• 4 weeks later...
We ended up booking a sunset sail/snorkel with Calypso Cruises. I researched several other board favorites but they were either booked or not doing a sunset sail that day. Calypso gets great reviews too, though, so hopefully we'll have a good time. I'll be sure to report back. We may also take a cab over to Crane for cliff jumping if we're feeling adventurous that morning!

We're probably going to do a cruise with Calypso in early Feb, but I haven't booked it yet. Would you please report back when you return and tell us how it was? It does get wonderful reviews. When do you return?

We're probably going to do a cruise with Calypso in early Feb, but I haven't booked it yet. Would you please report back when you return and tell us how it was? It does get wonderful reviews. When do you return?

I did Calypso cruises in November. I would definitely recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I will, gladly! We will be back on Feb 5. Just a couple of weeks until sailaway!

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to report back that we had a FABULOUS time on our sunset catamaran sail with Calypso. Nick, the captain, is a very cool guy and he and his crew make sure that everyone is having a great time. James and Shea kept the drinks flowing freely! We were greeted with a plate of cookies and an offer of drinks both alcoholic and non, and headed straight out to snorkel while we still had light. There were only 6 guests including us, which was nice, but even with a larger crowd I'm sure we'd have had a great time.

Normally on the sunset sail they only do one snorkeling stop for turtles, but due to the previous day's rough weather and other environmental factors, we only spotted one green turtle, and only briefly. Since there wasn't much to see on that stop, Nick took us over to a shipwreck for some extra snorkel time, which was great - the wreck itself was cool, and we saw some interesting fish and a large hawksbill turtle that seems to like hanging out in the crevices of the wreck.

After we were done snorkeling, it was time to feast! I wasn't expecting much from the snacks but they put out a huge spread! Crudités and dip, some hot honey glazed sausages, several kinds of cheese and crackers, salami, smoked salmon, fruit, etc. All served on real plates, too - very nice presentation for a catamaran! Nick blends his own coconut rum, which was delicious mixed with passion fruit juice and a floater of the local extra old for a kick!

Anyway, we were full, tipsy and happy when we pulled back into port just after dark. We also lucked out with a stunning sunset and a huge, bright full moon thereafter. Couldn't have asked for a better evening. We'll sail with Nick again for sure!