Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

Why would they change the decision? People want definitive answers not wishy washy maybe situations filled with uncertainty. That's the point of decision making. You decide what will happen and then you stick to it. Even if the decision is erring on the side of caution.

If they said next cruise delayed to Tuesday then the decision is made. At least people know what they are working with.

Ok - let's pick Tuesday.

And if the port does open early? Stay at sea? Listen to everyone complain that they could have driven home and made it to work/school?

Go back before Tuesday and listen to everyone complain that they are stuck after they changed their flights to Tuesday? Why were they given bad info?

The situation is fluid. Very hard to made decisions without sufficient information. Both for the cruise lines and for the travelers. As difficult as it is, everyone just as to be patient for a little while. And safety is first.

Correct, it is still happening. They could say do short cruise Tuesday, everyone changes travel plans then Hurricane shifts toward Galveston... I use to cruise this week every yr, was cheaper. In 1996 this next week on 7 nite Sovereign, we had 4 named Hurricanes that week. I've sailed out in North Atlantic but this was quite the wild ride. Had change 2 ports. Now retired I don't take the chance, but feel for those that are on now.

If it did open for a while would all the folks disembarking have transportation to get wherever they were going (and would it be safe?) or would they simply be stranded at the port? In any case, it's hard to image they could gather all the necessary employees at the port on short notice for disembarkation/embarkation.

The road in front of the cruise terminal is flooded and its only going to get worse. No way to get 10,000 cars out of Galveston and let 10,000 more in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1:15pm : The captain just gave us an "update" we are still continuing on to Galveston as planned. At 7:30 tonight he will have another update and let us know if we will slow down and have another sea day tomorrow.

Port of Houston is closed as well

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Technically, there never was a "Cruise Port of Houston". It was the Bayport Cruise Terminal that was owned by Harris County. After years of trying to successfully use this one ship (max. capacity) terminal, the County finally gave up and sold it to a container shipping company. All the cruise ship related equipment (gangways, etc.) was also sold.

However, as the OP said, the entire Port of Houston is closed.

I don't know how you can say that. No one knows what it will be like yet

The decision Royal should make is to give passengers who are scheduled to board tomorrow the option of canceling with a credit, or waiting to board whenever the port decides to reopen. Local passengers may have the luxury to wait it out -- if their houses weren't blown down last night or are not floating away today -- prayers to them. Most out-of-state passengers are being unfairly held in limbo. Perhaps the Royal Cheering Squad can tell them why they should still feel warm and fuzzy about Royal.

Ok - let's pick Tuesday.

And if the port does open early? Stay at sea? Listen to everyone complain that they could have driven home and made it to work/school?

Go back before Tuesday and listen to everyone complain that they are stuck after they changed their flights to Tuesday? Why were they given bad info?

If the port opens early and they can get in great. But if they decide the next cruise isn't sailing until Tuesday let those that want to get off, off if they can.You do realize that the streets are flooded, no one can currently get in or out of the port. They have already made an official announcement that whilst the car parks are not flooded, no one can get in or out of the car parks. Galveston is under a voluntary evacuation, and with all transportation around the island cancelled do you really think that customs and baggage handlers will be able to get to the ship to get passengers off.

I think some people are not looking at the overall picture. It's not as simple as to whether or not the ship can get in. It's all the logistics of the fact the roads are flooded and how many personnel are left to be able to get the ship disembarked and all the new passengers on the ship.

You should definitely be in charge. You obviously know when the storm will pass and the port will be able to accept ships again

The whole point of this site is for people to share their opinions. If I don't agree with you on this then sorry. But I am perfectly entitled to my opinion and no I do not believe RC have handled this well at all. Especially when multiple news sources have said the port is closed through Tuesday..

Whilst I might not know when the storm will pass, I do know that gusty winds, strong rain, are expected to persist through Monday. There are 340 weekend flights cancelled in and out of Houston. The Houston area Has been declared a state of disaster. Parts of Galveston have been advised to evacuate. Galveston schools are closed through midweek.

So whilst I would love to be as optimistic as you, sadly I am not.

Itinerary Updates

s.gif

s.gif

#mktMainHeader h1 { color: #061556; font-size: 36px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 30px; text-transform: uppercase; width: 670px;}#mktMainHeader td { padding: 2px; padding-right: 15px; Itinerary Updates

August 26, 2017

Liberty of the Seas is keeping a safe distance behind the storm and is currently making her way back to Galveston. Our intention is to keep with our original schedule return to Galveston on Sunday. However, because of the path and progression of Hurricane Harvey, the situation remains uncertain and the Port of Galveston remains closed. We ask that guests scheduled to sail on Liberty of the Seas tomorrow not proceed to the port until we let you know it is okay to do so.

We will provide you with another update on August 26 at 9 p.m. CT.

RC keeping people hanging like this is shameful. Shows they don't REALLY care about guests; it's all about the money. But people will say do everything Royal says and don't question them. What a laugh

So encouraging thousands of people to a city in the early stages of post-hurricane to got right into that mess is a good idea?

OR...

Cancelling the cruise completely whereby many if not most people (those without insurance) will lose thousands of dollars is a good idea?

The fact is no matter what, there is so simple or all-resolving answer. The one that Royal seems to have taken is "be safe and wait and see"...you know...the smart path. For that a few narrow-minded people ridicule them. It has nothing to do with RCI specifically...it's just prudent and common sense...and the same advice given by authorities for people living in the area and wishing to return home.

So encouraging thousands of people to a city in the early stages of post-hurricane to got right into that mess is a good idea?

OR...

Cancelling the cruise completely whereby many if not most people (those without insurance) will lose thousands of dollars is a good idea?

The fact is no matter what, there is so simple or all-resolving answer. The one that Royal seems to have taken is "be safe and wait and see"...you know...the smart path. For that a few narrow-minded people ridicule them. It has nothing to do with RCI specifically...it's just prudent and common sense...and the same advice given by authorities for people living in the area and wishing to return home.

Royal is not responsible if someone didn't take insurance.

Royal has basically been encouraging people to head to the area; a mistake in my opinion.

Why are you vigorously defending their non-position position???

OR...

That would never happen

Royal is not responsible if someone didn't take insurance.

Royal has basically been encouraging people to head to the area; a mistake in my opinion.

Why are you vigorously defending their non-position position???

Oh really...all their announcements have indicated to WAIT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE to proceed to Galveston.

Yet more misinformation posted. All someone has to do is read a few posts back (mt82) and see the official word from Royal Caribbean, which totally contradicts your claim.

Misinformation helps no one in any way...