AXiDMonica

Chops v Giovanni's - Anniversary Dinner Decision!

Hi all! Help me decide! We are on the Jewel in March and wanted to do a nice (delicious) dinner for our anniversary. I currently have reservations made for Chops Grille but I've seen both good and bad about it.

Would you opt for Chops or Giovanni's?

Just some background -- we've never done either restaurant and are huge fans of the Carnival Steakhouses. A great steak is what we are mostly after. :D

Thanks!

I vote Chops. But, personally, I enjoy a nice hunk of beef to celebrate. I don't think you'll necessarily be disappointed in either.

I found Chops to go downhill the past four years, its not what it used to be. We were on the Allure a year ago and Chops was disappointing back then, we went on the Harmony this past May had reservations for Chops for two evenings and after the first evening dining there cancelled the second evening. On another note, Giovanni's is our most favorite specialty restaurant out of them all, following 150 Central Park. You can get a wonderful filet mignon at Giovanni's should you be interested in beef/steak.

I vote Chops, I have never been disappointed. I think Chops and Fahrenheit 555 are very similar.

Maybe really splurge and treat yourslves to Chef's Table. It is truly a special

experience!

The past year when we are on Carnival cruises, we dine at the steakhouse each and every evening as we do not care for the food in the MDR....Carnival has the overall BEST steakhouse, always a perfect wonderful meal there, but when we dine at Chops there are hits and misses (more misses and disappointments) and quite honestly last year I said I would not go back to Chops but found myself trying Chops again in May on the Harmony to say never again.

While we love Giovanni's, would pick Chops for an anniversary dinner.

Their filet mignon is delicious! :)

I think Chops is usually more a romantic setting-mostly couples.

experience!

Second that. And the meat course is usually a filet, at least the last 2 times we've done Chef's Table.

I would also vote for Chops!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In general we prefer Giovanni's we were able to get filet there a few months ago on Liberty , Chops can be hit or miss with food

experience!

Chef's table is totally awesome.

But then you are sharing your anniversary with other guests. I'd do it for a different dinner.

Chops has been more miss than hit for us the last few cruises. We always go there hoping they got better, but they haven't. Food is OK, the service is terrible. We will probably try again the next cruise, I don't know why. Giovanni's hasn't disappointed us yet. Just can't get a steak there.

Burt

Chops has been more miss than hit for us the last few cruises. We always go there hoping they got better, but they haven't. Food is OK, the service is terrible. We will probably try again the next cruise, I don't know why. Giovanni's hasn't disappointed us yet. Just can't get a steak there.

Burt

What ship I got steak there 4 months ago on Liberty?

Whichever you decide (Chops or Giovanni's) for your anniversary dinner, do hope you'll try the other another night on your cruise. :)

Another vote for Chops. We were on Jewel in June and ate there 3 times. Each time, the food was amazing. We told them we were celebrating our anniversary and had a fabulous table by the window on our second and third visit.

Been to Chops 3 times over the past 5 years. 1st was very underwhelming, but the last 2 have been outstanding! Most recently on Harmony the staff was outstanding, food was incredible, and by far the best meal we had on the whole cruise!

While I love a good steak, I think I would recommend Giovanni's. Incredible food and service. I had their Osso Bucco and it was the best I'd ever had anywhere. They had this mushroom risotto that was perfectly prepared. It was just a wonderful meal!

Thank you all!! I think we will stick to Chops for the anniversary dinner and then perhaps try Chef's Table and/or Giovanni's another night. We like to eat. lol

You've all been helpful! :)

I think Chops still has beef filet. Giovanne's removed their better beef cuts from their menu.

I don't know what ship you were on where the filet was removed from Giovanni's. I say that because we sailed on Allure in January and last month and both times the filet was available. I haven't seen any better steak than that on Giovanni's menu.

We also went to Chops and both times we went there 3 out of the 5 nights we went to specialty restaurants. We had the best steak, now there are ribeye steaks in Chops as well as those that have always been available. Our service was absolutely wonderful an when we sail again, we will be back there at least 3 times.

I also thought the ambience in Chops was far nicer than that in Giovanni's. I know shorts at dinner are a touchy subject, but our last visit to Giovanni's included a family of about 10 with the men all in gym shorts, ball hats and tee shirts. They also had children that did whatever they wanted while the parents ignored them. Nothing was said to any of them and there were others around them, as were we, who weren't pleased with having the kids come up to the tables and try to take bread. I know this is not the norm, but it still made for a weird dining experience.

Thank you for this question! I was having the same dilemma with our anniversary dinner. But, after reading comments, we will do chops, mostly for ambiance, then for food. It'll make a romantic time for our anniversary dinner! Happy anniversary to you!

150 Central Park has the best ambience and the best outstanding overall service!

We have done 150 Central Park, on Allure. It was an amazing experience. We have never done the others, so we want to try them.

Thank you for this question! I was having the same dilemma with our anniversary dinner. But, after reading comments, we will do chops, mostly for ambiance, then for food. It'll make a romantic time for our anniversary dinner! Happy anniversary to you!

In last 4 years we have done Giovanni's at least a dozen times on 3 different ships and Chops about half that , always thought Giovanni's had better ambiance and less noise

Carnivals steakhouse is way better than ncls steakhouse. I can't wait to try chops!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all!! I think we will stick to Chops for the anniversary dinner and then perhaps try Chef's Table and/or Giovanni's another night. We like to eat. lol

You've all been helpful! :)

Great Decision! ENJOY! :D

We just got off of Oasis on Sunday, and if the menu changes that they made to Giovanni's go fleet wide, we will never eat there again. They had a completely different menu than what was on Oasis when we were on her in May, and the restaurant seemed to be shifting to a more Bucca de Beppo style of everyone sitting at long tables passing communal dishes around "family-style". We knew we were in trouble when a waiter came around before we ordered and offered us a tray of desert selections, and then came back later with a plank of antipasto meats and cheeses. But if you like pork belly, it was featured in half of their entrees. Don't order the linguine with clam sauce if you expect to actually get any clams however.

Orville99:

Throughout the past 4 years, I also have been watching the decline in the RC specialty restaurants. Chops used to be excellent but starting three years ago we would experience misses and the past two years have had steaks/main entrees that we just couldn't eat and had to take back. This past May, we were on the Harmony figured since we dine at specialty restaurants each evening to go to Chops twice so we can have an assortment of different restaurants....we went to Chops the first night and not only was the service not good, the steak was terribly disappointing to myself, I believe my father in law has some type of seafood dish at which he did not care for either and my other half said his was nothing special....it was so disappointing that we cancelled our second dinner reservation and decided the best specialty restaurant on board was 150 Central Park.

Jaimie's Italian on the Harmony is NOT real authentic Italian cuisine, heck, what does an Englishman know about Italian food?! It is more of an American Italian cuisine and truly disappointing except for the antipasto dish which was very good with excellent imported parmesan cheese, other than that, your correct its just like Bucca de Peppo or that other non Italian English fast food restaurant Carabba's. We had a third night booked here as we love Italian food and cancelled that. Needless to say, one night we dined at Chops, two evenings Jamie's and found our most favorite restaurant was 150 Central Park which overall remains to be excellent and we dined here 4 nights.

I am finding RC is diminishing in the food area of its specialty restaurants, but I cannot speak yet of Giovanni's because the last time I was on a ship that had this dining establishment was on the Allure two years ago. I have a cruise planned in October on the Oasis and have three nights reserved there so I shall see.

Although the food is diminishing in these specialty restaurants it STILL beats what you get in the MDR as far as food and service.

Orville99:

Throughout the past 4 years, I also have been watching the decline in the RC specialty restaurants. Chops used to be excellent but starting three years ago we would experience misses and the past two years have had steaks/main entrees that we just couldn't eat and had to take back. This past May, we were on the Harmony figured since we dine at specialty restaurants each evening to go to Chops twice so we can have an assortment of different restaurants....we went to Chops the first night and not only was the service not good, the steak was terribly disappointing to myself, I believe my father in law has some type of seafood dish at which he did not care for either and my other half said his was nothing special....it was so disappointing that we cancelled our second dinner reservation and decided the best specialty restaurant on board was 150 Central Park.

Jaimie's Italian on the Harmony is NOT real authentic Italian cuisine, heck, what does an Englishman know about Italian food?! It is more of an American Italian cuisine and truly disappointing except for the antipasto dish which was very good with excellent imported parmesan cheese, other than that, your correct its just like Bucca de Peppo or that other non Italian English fast food restaurant Carabba's. We had a third night booked here as we love Italian food and cancelled that. Needless to say, one night we dined at Chops, two evenings Jamie's and found our most favorite restaurant was 150 Central Park which overall remains to be excellent and we dined here 4 nights.

I am finding RC is diminishing in the food area of its specialty restaurants, but I cannot speak yet of Giovanni's because the last time I was on a ship that had this dining establishment was on the Allure two years ago. I have a cruise planned in October on the Oasis and have three nights reserved there so I shall see.

Although the food is diminishing in these specialty restaurants it STILL beats what you get in the MDR as far as food and service.

If you go out to RCL's website and pull up the Giovanni's menu, expect what you will get at Giovanni's on Oasis to be a complete disappointment. The published menu was the menu when we sailed on Oasis in May, and the food was excellent, but literally nothing on that menu was on the menu that we were presented last Tuesday when we went to Giovanni's on Oasis.

Seconding the 150 Central Park suggestion. That was far superior in terms of what you'd want for a special meal.

Chop's comes in second place. Good food and service, nothing incredibly memorable though.

We were disappointed in Giovanni's and don't plan to go back.

Hi all! Help me decide! We are on the Jewel in March and wanted to do a nice (delicious) dinner for our anniversary. I currently have reservations made for Chops Grille but I've seen both good and bad about it.

Would you opt for Chops or Giovanni's?

Chops!

Seconding the 150 Central Park suggestion. That was far superior in terms of what you'd want for a special meal.

Chop's comes in second place. Good food and service, nothing incredibly memorable though.

We were disappointed in Giovanni's and don't plan to go back.

I am sure that is good but poster is in Jewel and that is only on a couple of newer ships

If you go out to RCL's website and pull up the Giovanni's menu, expect what you will get at Giovanni's on Oasis to be a complete disappointment. The published menu was the menu when we sailed on Oasis in May, and the food was excellent, but literally nothing on that menu was on the menu that we were presented last Tuesday when we went to Giovanni's on Oasis.

Is there a screen shot or link to the oasis' 'new menu' floating about?

Is there a screen shot or link to the oasis' 'new menu' floating about?

I wish now that I had taken a photo of the new menu. It was quite a pathetic range of entrees and appetizers, and they didn't even bother to identify everything that was in the entrees. DW ordered what she thought was a vegetarian dish, but since they forgot to mention that it was actually sea bass anywhere on the menu, she ended up with a dish she couldn't eat. I tried it and it was hopelessly overcooked, so she didn't miss out on anything.:rolleyes: I ordered the linguine with clam sauce, and other than a half dozen rubbery clams in their shells around the edge of the dish, there wasn't a single clam in the sauce.:(. Maybe someone currently on Oasis will see this thread and take a picture.