Could we lose our balcony?

rbslos18

We are doing a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Grand Princess next January. We booked a guaranteed MB mini-suite balcony. On some websites, I see the S7 Window Suite as the next category. It never dawned on me that it was possible we could receive an upgrade that would not have a balcony. Is this a possibility? If yes, is there a way to prevent this? My wife might throw me overboard. Well maybe not if we get a suite with no balcony! It would be difficult.

RB

We are doing a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Grand Princess next January. We booked a guaranteed MB mini-suite balcony. On some websites, I see the S7 Window Suite as the next category. It never dawned on me that it was possible we could receive an upgrade that would not have a balcony. Is this a possibility? If yes, is there a way to prevent this? My wife might throw me overboard. Well maybe not if we get a suite with no balcony! It would be difficult.

You're supposed to be able to refuse a cabin assignment within 48? hours. So keep an eye on your Personalizer and if that's what you get and you don't want a SUITE (:eek:), call Princess or your TA (if you used one).

However, before you refuse a suite, check out the benefits. There are videos of WS on YouTube, check those out, too. Not having a balcony isn't the end of the world. Also, the chances that you'd be assigned a WS are slim to none. They're very popular and get snapped up fast.

On the Princess website the Window Suites on Golden, Caribbean and Grand Princess, as well as the Window Mini-Suites on Coral and Island Princess, are classified as upgrades from Oceanview cabins. You will not be offered an upgrade from a cabin with a balcony to one without.

So the answer to your title question is no. But since your guarantee is for the highest (non-Club) Minisuite category you may receive an upsell offer for a Suite; if so, check the category of Suite carefully before deciding.

If you wish to keep the cabin you have contact your T.A., or Princess if you booked directly, and ask them to mark your booking 'no upgrade.' However, I would accept a window suite anytime. Window suites are full suites and get full suite benefits, including some important ones like Club Class Dining and the special mimosa breakfast every day at Sabatini's.

If you wish to keep the cabin you have contact your T.A., or Princess if you booked directly, and ask them to mark your booking 'no upgrade.' However, I would accept a window suite anytime. Window suites are full suites and get full suite benefits, including some important ones like Club Class Dining and the special mimosa breakfast every day at Sabatini's.

They booked a Guarantee as mentioned in their post.

Only thing you can do is keep checking.

IMO anything could happen with a GTY although I don't think I have even seen a comment about someone losing their balcony and bumped up to a window suite.

Another prime reason if you are worried about (GTY) a cabin/type assignment then pick a specific cabin to start with.

Only thing you can do is keep checking.

IMO anything could happen with a GTY although I don't think I have even seen a comment about someone losing their balcony and bumped up to a window suite.

Another prime reason if you are worried about (GTY) a cabin/type assignment then pick a specific cabin to start with.

Sound advice.....:):):)

Bob

I've never heard of anyone receiving an upgrade or being offered an upsell from a balcony or mini-suite to a window suite. Normally they upgrade or upsell oceanview cabins to window suites and they upgrade or upsell balcony mini-suites to balcony suites.

Window suites are seldom available for upgrades or upsells anyway, because they usually sell out.

We booked an oceanview on Caribbean Princess two years ago hoping for an upsell to a window suite. Three weeks before sailing we received an email with an offer of a window suite for $139.00 (Canadian) per person. We jumped on it! I was told by the agent who took care of our upsell that these suites are ONLY offered/upgraded to passengers who originally booked an oceanview.

You're supposed to be able to refuse a cabin assignment within 48? hours. So keep an eye on your Personalizer and if that's what you get and you don't want a SUITE (:eek:), call Princess or your TA (if you used one).

However, before you refuse a suite, check out the benefits. There are videos of WS on YouTube, check those out, too. Not having a balcony isn't the end of the world. Also, the chances that you'd be assigned a WS are slim to none. They're very popular and get snapped up fast.

Unfortunately, this is not true. About a month ago, I received an email for an "upgrade", that believe me was no upgrade. My balcony went to completely obstructed deluxe balcony. I called about an hour after the so-called upgrade email and was told that chances are that I would NOT get my balcony back. After speaking to many reps and finally getting to the highest supervisor available I was told that there is no META upgrade. Only upgrade or no upgrade. I finally did get my cabin back after much aggravation and distress. I will never make that mistake again. If you like your cabin mark it no upgrade.

We were once "upgraded" from a Junior Suite on deck 10 to an inside room on 2 next to what amounted to a broom closet. After the 2nd day I raised enough cane about it that they moved us into the Captains Suite (or something like that) and comp'd the rest of the trip, drinks and everything. They will jerk you around for sure! Happy sailings!

Before we booked, we took the advice of Colo. Cruiser here, who has always advised people to select their own cabin. Thank you, Keith ! ;p

We selected an ocean view obstructed cabin far forward, as Princess was having one of those "drop and go" specials to Alaska. We indicated that we were willing to be upgraded if the opportunity came up.

Then, a couple weeks later, Princess e-mailed us and said that we could be upgraded to a mid-ship balcony cabin with no obstruction for $139.00 per person, if we wished. We had the choice to refuse and stay where we were, or to accept the upgrade. It was not mandatory by Princess -- just an offer. So, we chose to accept their offer. In fact, there were several balcony cabins that had just opened up, and we looked at the deck plans and picked out which remaining one looked best, then chose that one.

It does seem like a good idea to select your own cabin, then if Princess wants to move you, the choice is yours, and it is not mandatory. JMO -- EBC.

Before we booked, we took the advice of Colo. Cruiser here, who has always advised people to select their own cabin. Thank you, Keith ! ;p

We selected an ocean view obstructed cabin far forward, as Princess was having one of those "drop and go" specials to Alaska. We indicated that we were willing to be upgraded if the opportunity came up.

Then, a couple weeks later, Princess e-mailed us and said that we could be upgraded to a mid-ship balcony cabin with no obstruction for $139.00 per person, if we wished. We had the choice to refuse and stay where we were, or to accept the upgrade. It was not mandatory by Princess -- just an offer. So, we chose to accept their offer. In fact, there were several balcony cabins that had just opened up, and we looked at the deck plans and picked out which remaining one looked best, then chose that one.

It does seem like a good idea to select your own cabin, then if Princess wants to move you, the choice is yours, and it is not mandatory. JMO -- EBC.

Your situation was a little different where Princess offered you an upsell. In other words, you had to pay for your upgrade. If you pick your own cabin and do not mark it no upgrade they can certainly move you without warning or your permission because in essence, you gave them permission by not marking your cabin no upgrade, and they may NOT give you your original cabin back, and according to the Supervisor I spoke with it is unlikely that you will get it back regardless that the email says that you have 48 hours to contact them.

We were once "upgraded" from a Junior Suite on deck 10 to an inside room on 2 next to what amounted to a broom closet. After the 2nd day I raised enough cane about it that they moved us into the Captains Suite (or something like that) and comp'd the rest of the trip, drinks and everything. They will jerk you around for sure! Happy sailings!

You must be talking about some cruise line other than Princess: "Junior Suite" and "Captain's Suite" are foreign terms to Princess; and there are no passenger cabins on deck 2 of any Princess ship. :confused:

Your situation was a little different where Princess offered you an upsell. In other words, you had to pay for your upgrade. If you pick your own cabin and do not mark it no upgrade they can certainly move you without warning or your permission because in essence, you gave them permission by not marking your cabin no upgrade, and they may NOT give you your original cabin back, and according to the Supervisor I spoke with it is unlikely that you will get it back regardless that the email says that you have 48 hours to contact

them.

I understand...... So at the beginning, we selected our own cabin and indicated that we were available for an upgrade. So, in theory, they could have moved us anywhere, including an inside cabin, or any other downgrade. So, I guess we were really fortunate that we were not mandatory re-assigned an interior cabin.

I did not realize that if passengers selected their own cabin, that Princess could still move them and make it a mandatory move.

We have about 3 days before sailing. I guess they could still move us to a far forward interior cabin, and we could do nothing about it. :(

I understand...... So at the beginning, we selected our own cabin and indicated that we were available for an upgrade. So, in theory, they could have moved us anywhere, including an inside cabin, or any other downgrade. So, I guess we were really fortunate that we were not mandatory re-assigned an interior cabin.

I did not realize that if passengers selected their own cabin, that Princess could still move them and make it a mandatory move.

We have about 3 days before sailing. I guess they could still move us to a far forward interior cabin, and we could do nothing about it. :(

I don't think that they would ever move someone to a downgraded cabin.

I am new to Princess also, and they moved me from a regular balcony to a deluxe balcony that they considered an upgrade. The thing is that my balcony was completely unobstructed and they moved me to a completely obstructed balcony. Thank goodness that I was able to get it back.

You're safe only if you call and tell them to check off no upgrade.

I think there is some misunderstanding about Guarantee cabins.

- One pays for a minimum cabin in the category you select (e.g. balcony, mini-suite, suite, etc.)

- Princess will assign a cabin in that category or better (never a lower category without agreement and compensation)

- Once a cabin is assigned, one may change the assignment to any open cabin in that same cabin category, and then mark that cabin as "No upgrade".

- If not marked "no upgrade" then Princess may change your cabin again at any time up until sailing, but for a higher category cabin.

How do I know this? Experience. One cruise we had our guarantee cabin assignment changed three times, always to a higher category. We have also been assigned a cabin in a location we didn't care for, and our TA got the assignment changed to another in the same category (e.g. BD to BD, a parallel move). At no time did we have to pay extra for a higher category cabin, or parallel cabin assignment.

Again note that the guarantee option you choose should always be for a category you would be satisfied with, as that could be precisely what you are assigned. For instance, we would not be satisfied without a balcony, so our minimum is always a balcony cabin. (and yes, I've had the same concern about a window mini-suite as the OP, as that cabin would not work for us).

We are doing a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Grand Princess next January. We booked a guaranteed MB mini-suite balcony. On some websites, I see the S7 Window Suite as the next category.

As others said, any upgrade from a MB GTY would not be to a window suite.

But, if you do get an upgrade, it could be to an M1.

You must be talking about some cruise line other than Princess: "Junior Suite" and "Captain's Suite" are foreign terms to Princess; and there are no passenger cabins on deck 2 of any Princess ship. :confused:

Yeah .. this guy(?) posted some weird statements on our roll call unrelated to the cruise and Princess. Don't know what his game is.

I think there is some misunderstanding about Guarantee cabins.

- One pays for a minimum cabin in the category you select (e.g. balcony, mini-suite, suite, etc.)

- Princess will assign a cabin in that category or better (never a lower category without agreement and compensation)

- Once a cabin is assigned, one may change the assignment to any open cabin in that same cabin category, and then mark that cabin as "No upgrade".

- If not marked "no upgrade" then Princess may change your cabin again at any time up until sailing, but for a higher category cabin.

How do I know this? Experience. One cruise we had our guarantee cabin assignment changed three times, always to a higher category. We have also been assigned a cabin in a location we didn't care for, and our TA got the assignment changed to another in the same category (e.g. BD to BD, a parallel move). At no time did we have to pay extra for a higher category cabin, or parallel cabin assignment.

Again note that the guarantee option you choose should always be for a category you would be satisfied with, as that could be precisely what you are assigned. For instance, we would not be satisfied without a balcony, so our minimum is always a balcony cabin. (and yes, I've had the same concern about a window mini-suite as the OP, as that cabin would not work for us).

Thank you......... As a newbie, I am understanding this situation much better now. :) - EBC

I want to be sure that we have "No Uprade" checked for our booking. I know it is marked that way on the booking confirmation that came from our TA, but is there a place on the princess website booking manager to find a place where it confirms "no upgrade"? I can't seem to find it. Thank you

I want to be sure that we have "No Uprade" checked for our booking. I know it is marked that way on the booking confirmation that came from our TA, but is there a place on the princess website booking manager to find a place where it confirms "no upgrade"? I can't seem to find it. Thank you

It used to be in the booking process on the Princess website where you could add that but I don't believe it's there anymore.

You could only do it in the initial booking process if you were making your own reservation online.

Once the booking is established you have to have your TA call Princess to add ot if no TA then call Princess yourself and have them add "no Upgrade".

When it is marked no upgrade there is no way for the passenger to see it.

It used to be in the booking process on the Princess website where you could add that but I don't believe it's there anymore.

You could only do it in the initial booking process if you were making your own reservation online.

Once the booking is established you have to have your TA call Princess to add ot if no TA then call Princess yourself and have them add "no Upgrade".

When it is marked no upgrade there is no way for the passenger to see it.

thank you