Couldn't book online, called and gave me higher price

Scottr76

I went to book a 7 day on the Liberty online. When I got to the payment section, it would not let me complete the payment. I tried 3 different credit cards just to make sure it wasn't a mistake on my end. So I called them directly and an agent booked the cruise for me. The price was $70 more than it was online. I was told that the website was priced incorrectly and that's why I couldn't complete the payment. They refused to give me the original price that was quoted online. I went ahead and booked it, but I feel like I was tricked. Anyone else go through something like this with RCI? It's only $70, but it's kind of upsetting.

One time, I saw a great online price on Monarch OTS when it was out here on the west coast. But the website wouldn't let me book it online, so I called. The agent actually pulled up the website and she said that she could see the price, but she was unable to book it on any of her screens. She said that if I could book it online, they would honor the price and cancel my existing reservation. Needless to say, we did not get the lower price. They were very nice about it.

I went to book a 7 day on the Liberty online. When I got to the payment section, it would not let me complete the payment. I tried 3 different credit cards just to make sure it wasn't a mistake on my end. So I called them directly and an agent booked the cruise for me. The price was $70 more than it was online. I was told that the website was priced incorrectly and that's why I couldn't complete the payment. They refused to give me the original price that was quoted online. I went ahead and booked it, but I feel like I was tricked. Anyone else go through something like this with RCI? It's only $70, but it's kind of upsetting.

This happens from time to time. There is a lot of data from their IBMI mainframe that does not transmit correctly in real time to their website. These incorrect transmissions would be referred to as 'Glitches."

Things like this are addressed in the Term Of Service of using the RCCL website. The link is at the bottom of the landing page.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/legal.do

The Company has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to this website or any other Company Website. Users of information from this website or any other Company Website or links do so at their own risk. We assume no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content of any Company Website. The Company is not responsible for pricing, typographical, or other errors and reserves the right to cancel without liability any bookings made at erroneous rates. While the Company may make changes to the information in any Company Website or to any Company service or product at any time without notice, the Company makes no commitment to update the information on a Company Website.

This happens from time to time. There is a lot of data from their IBMI mainframe that does not transmit correctly in real time to their website. These incorrect transmissions would be referred to as 'Glitches."

Things like this are addressed in the Term Of Service of using the RCCL website. The link is at the bottom of the landing page.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/legal.do

The Company has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to this website or any other Company Website. Users of information from this website or any other Company Website or links do so at their own risk. We assume no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content of any Company Website. The Company is not responsible for pricing, typographical, or other errors and reserves the right to cancel without liability any bookings made at erroneous rates. While the Company may make changes to the information in any Company Website or to any Company service or product at any time without notice, the Company makes no commitment to update the information on a Company Website.

Utter nonsense. Transmission protocols have built in error detection and correction. Besides, where do you think the web site gets its list of itineraries and pricing?

If the web site is wrong, how did the WEB SITE know to refuse the transaction. And, if it knew the pricing was wrong why did it not inform the user online?

The terms of service allow the company to save money by not implementing rigorous error checking and places the burden of its mistakes on customers.

Utter nonsense. Transmission protocols have built in error detection and correction. Besides, where do you think the web site gets its list of itineraries and pricing?

If the web site is wrong, how did the WEB SITE know to refuse the transaction. And, if it knew the pricing was wrong why did it not inform the user online?

The terms of service allow the company to save money by not implementing rigorous error checking and places the burden of its mistakes on customers.

Actually by their policy. If you are undercharged due to a glitch, Royal has been known to cancel your booking if you don't agree to the higher price. This has happened before when things like people have accidentally got 50% off 1st passenger and free 2nd...

Yep, same thing happened to me recently. I tried to add a week to our cruise and it wouldn't take any of my credit cards online. I even called the credit card company wondering if I had a block on my account for some reason. There was no problem with my cards.

I tried using my debit card too. Still didn't work. So I called Royal and they quoted me a price that was higher by $100 or $200 (somewhere around there, wasn't huge but still more than was showing on my computer right in front of me). I refused to book it on principle, and told him so. He didn't care, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This exact scenario happened to us, but the price difference was more than $100. The utter fiasco of trying to book this cruise via the website and the horrid customer service is not getting us in the mood to enjoy our first Royal Caribbean cruise!

When we couldn't complete our booking, we called RC. The agent said that the price we were seeing was not available. We were told to clear our cookies, try different browsers, different devices etc. Same result (lower price) every time. After several days of back and forth, they asked for a screenshot of what we were seeing. After they received the screenshot, a supervisor very impolitely told us, it was wrong and the price couldn't be honored. We are traveling with others, so went ahead and booked at the higher price, but believe me, our booking experiences at Carnival, NCL and Costa have been far superior to this nonsense--classic bait and switch.

Something similar to me happened when I booked a cruise and the price dropped. It was before my final payment. I called to pay for an upgrade and was put on hold. By the time the person finally came back, he quoted me a higher price. I declined and did a mock booking and saw that the price increased on their website from the time I had previously looked before I made the call. RCL has the worst website out of any I have used for cruises. I don't know why their site is so bad when the other cruise lines can get it right.

I was trying to book a Thanksgiving Cruise today and when I got to the page to add the 2nd guest it would always bounce me back to the start page. I did this several times (I thought it has logged me out because I took too long). I was also considering a similar cruise on Carnival Magic - the Carnival Site is easier to use but they up-sell everything on their site. I ended up not booking anything (I didn't want to spend an hour on the phone). I'm going to take my chances and wait a few weeks for the next new BOGO deal. It doesn't seem like the Labor Day Sale is that good anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums