No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

I'm asking about the Cruise Log. The procedure has been that if you are disembarking in the morning, you do not get a daily program delivered the night before. You do get the Cruise Log, and in there the breakfast hours are listed. It's the only way to know the hours of operation.

If you are staying on, you get both the Cruise Log from the completed cruise, and the daily program for the next one. But since everyone has to disembark eventually, I am asking how you learn the breakfast hours if there is no Cruise Log to list them in.

It's been a few months since our Eurodam cruise, but if I recall correctly the cabin stewards placed a notice (in paper!) of disembarkation breakfast times and availability on our beds when they did our evening turn down service.

A very quick reply from the Office of the President:

We are very sorry to learn of your disappointment regarding not currently providing the Cruise Logs for our sailings. We regret your dissatisfaction in not receiving this document for your voyage and will pass this feedback along to management so they may consider whether or not to reintroduce cruise logs to our fleet in the future.

In the meantime, if there is any specific information you would like from a cruise for your records please let our Guest Relations team know as they will be happy to check with our shipboard staff. You can send an email to guestrelations@hollandamerica.com or call 1-800-599-8256.

Thank you for contacting our office. On behalf of Mr. Orlando Ashford, we look forward to welcoming you aboard another sailing very soon. Until then, we wish you all the best.

Kind regards,

Kirby Lee

Special Advisor

cleardot.gif

It's been a few months since our Eurodam cruise, but if I recall correctly the cabin stewards placed a notice (in paper!) of disembarkation breakfast times and availability on our beds when they did our evening turn down service.

Just back from Amsterdam in Alaska and you're right, there's a card on the bed with the breakfast times for disembarkation day. It's just like the time change cards, which we did get. But no more of the goodnight cards, anyone remember those?

I was disappointed not to get the cruise log. I've always kept those. Add me to the list of people who would happily trade all those ads for the cruise log. I brought home the "junk mail" from our cruise because I'm going to send it all to Mr Ashford.

20 full sheets of paper

18 half sheets of regular paper or smaller card stock

3 approx 5x7 photo paper

That's for 14 days. And it does not include the useful stuff like When & Where, notification of balcony cleaning, the usual health reminder, information specific to our tours. I never pick up all the shopping stuff they hand out at the gangway. If I did, that would make the pile of paper even more ridiculous.

Just back from Amsterdam in Alaska and you're right, there's a card on the bed with the breakfast times for disembarkation day. It's just like the time change cards, which we did get. But no more of the goodnight cards, anyone remember those?

I was disappointed not to get the cruise log. I've always kept those. Add me to the list of people who would happily trade all those ads for the cruise log. I brought home the "junk mail" from our cruise because I'm going to send it all to Mr Ashford.

20 full sheets of paper

3 approx 5x7 photo paper

That's for 14 days. And it does not include the useful stuff like When & Where, notification of balcony cleaning, the usual health reminder, information specific to our tours. I never pick up all the shopping stuff they hand out at the gangway. If I did, that would make the pile of paper even more ridiculous.

Yes, I remember the good night cards and I noticed right from my first night aboard, they are now gone along with so many other things. Each of us gets to choose which things we particularly miss.

i sent a note to HAL Customer serivce about not happy to have not re ceived cruise log.

Guilty!

We probably contributed to their demise by tossing ours in the recycle container. I wonder if anyone made a tally of such actions.

Sometimes we glanced through them first.

Ruth

I wonder if a lot of people tossed them without looking at them because they were sick of all the junk mail, and just assumed it was another stupid ad.

20 full sheets of paper

3 approx 5x7 photo paper

Sending that accumulated paper stuff to Mr. Ashford is an excellent idea! It's going to cost you some postage money to do so. But, an accompanying letter explaining why you are doing so may make an impression upon the gentleman. More costly in postage fees, but paying for restricted delivery and and return signature card would help to insure that Mr. Ashford, personally, receives your package and not an Administrative Assistant to the President.

It appears that some cruisers are still receiving Cruise Logs while others are not makes me wonder if the decision to do so or not lie with the management aboard that particular ship. As I understand it, ship management for each cruise has a budget. I received a Cruise Log at the end of my July Amsterdam cruise. Maybe Captain Everson's budget allowed for this? For the more recent Amsterdam Alaska cruiser, maybe her cruise's budget was in the red? Need to save some money: hence, no Cruise Log?

Thank you. At least the critical (to me, anyway) information is out there. Just a matter of seeing it in a new format. I can adjust, so long as I know where to look.

Thank you. At least the critical (to me, anyway) information is out there. Just a matter of seeing it in a new format. I can adjust, so long as I know where to look.

I don't think I paid attention to the breakfast times on the Cruise Log. The first thing I always looked at was how many passengers were on board. The Cruise Log pulls together a lot of information about the journey and is Holland America literally saying "Thank you for sailing with us." That is the feeling of community that will be lost if there is no Cruise Log to sum up the journey.

Dear Mr. Schwartz,

Regarding cruise logs, we’re not currently able to provide these for our sailings. We’re sorry for any disappointment at not receiving this document for your voyage and will pass this feedback along to the appropriate management so they may consider whether to reintroduce cruise logs to our fleet in the future.

On behalf of Mr. Orlando Ashford, thank you again for taking the time to provide your comments. The feedback of our Mariners is vital to our continued growth and we look forward to welcoming you on board the ms Nieuw Amsterdam in November.

Kind regards,

Kirby Lee

Special Advisor

Office of the President

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

From Customer Services:

"

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your ms Oosterdam Dec 2, 2017voyage. Yes, the cruise logs have been discontinued.

Holland America Line understands this is disappointing to many of our guestswho enjoyed this as part of a commemorative piece to remember yourcruise. However, as we try to reduce our carbon foot-print, and printingless items that needed to be disposed of in the future, we hope you willunderstand our decision to discontinue the cruise logs.

Please stay tuned as we continue to monitor the changes and implementreplacement programs for future voyages. We sincerely apologize for theinconvenience this has caused. And your request has been forwarded tomanagement for review and future considerations.

Please let us know if there is anything further. We are lookingforward to welcoming you on board very soon.

Kind Regards,

Karen"

From Customer Services:

"

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your ms Oosterdam Dec 2, 2017voyage. Yes, the cruise logs have been discontinued.

Holland America Line understands this is disappointing to many of our guestswho enjoyed this as part of a commemorative piece to remember yourcruise. However, as we try to reduce our carbon foot-print, and printingless items that needed to be disposed of in the future, we hope you willunderstand our decision to discontinue the cruise logs.

Please stay tuned as we continue to monitor the changes and implementreplacement programs for future voyages. We sincerely apologize for theinconvenience this has caused. And your request has been forwarded tomanagement for review and future considerations.

Please let us know if there is anything further. We are lookingforward to welcoming you on board very soon.

Kind Regards,

Karen"

I will believe they are trying to reduce their carbon foot-print when we cease to receive all that art, spa, etc. advertising rubbish in our boxes every day.

I will believe they are trying to reduce their carbon foot-print when we cease to receive all that art, spa, etc. advertising rubbish in our boxes every day.

Yes. So much goes straight from the mailbox to the recycling bin without stopping at the desk for a breather.

From HAL's facebook page today....

Cruise logs that have been previously provided prior to disembarkation to our guests have been temporarily discontinued. We are working on creating a new cruise log for our guests but do not know when it will be available. Guest who wish to have a formal itinerary or details of their cruise such as distance from land may contact our Guest Relations department at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com to request this information. We hope you found this information helpful. Happy cruising!

Cruise logs that have been previously provided prior to disembarkation to our guests have been temporarily discontinued. We are working on creating a new cruise log for our guests but do not know when it will be available.

Next they'll be trying to sell us snake oil in the on-board shops.

This explanation does not jibe with the one posted above about "carbon footprint". It's as if Seattle is surprised at the reaction, and doesn't know how to deal with it yet.

Cruise logs that have been previously provided prior to disembarkation to our guests have been temporarily discontinued. We are working on creating a new cruise log for our guests but do not know when it will be available. Guest who wish to have a formal itinerary or details of their cruise such as distance from land may contact our Guest Relations department at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com to request this information. We hope you found this information helpful. Happy cruising!

A shame it's hidden under the visitor posts.

I'm with RuthC. No need to stop it while you are addressing it. Makes no sense at all. A bunch of hoo haa.

A shame it's hidden under the visitor posts.

I'm with RuthC. No need to stop it while you are addressing it. Makes no sense at all. A bunch of hoo haa.

Amen.

And if they are really trying to be less wasteful with printed items, a much better place to start is the photos, and as previously noted, the ads.