Are our beloved cruiseships contributing to global warming and if so by how much?

Karysa

10 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

If we removed all subsidies whole economies would collapse😂. In America Sillicon Valley would not exisit if it wasn't for large government handouts. Subsidies are part and parcel of running a good economy. But I would prefer to see subsidies moved from recyclable collectors who make billions already to recycle pellet makers so they can bring the cost down to compete with virgin plastic. Like I said landfill does not decrease the volume of waste we produce and that should be the aim. We have already seen what happens when we ignore this aim, last thirty years volume of waste has gone up 60% it has not even stabilised and the next thirty years it will only increase if don't deal with the out put problem.

It isn't self-evident that reducing the volume of waste should have priority.  The priority should be reducing the impact of waste on the environment.  Landfills have been proven to be superior to recycling.

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

It isn't self-evident that reducing the volume of waste should have priority.  The priority should be reducing the impact of waste on the environment.  Landfills have been proven to be superior to recycling.

But that is the problem, the volume, you can't make enough landfills quick enough to handle the rate of garbage we produce. We have been using landfills for decades and yes they worked in the days we had little waste, before fast fashion, IKEA, single use items, e waste, processed food and all it's packaging but now we live in a different world where everything we buy is disposable and temporary. It is impossible to keep up, the only thing that will make a true difference is reduction.

• Like 1

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

But that is the problem, the volume, you can't make enough landfills quick enough to handle the rate of garbage we produce. We have been using landfills for decades and yes they worked in the days we had little waste, before fast fashion, IKEA, single use items, e waste, processed food and all it's packaging but now we live in a different world where everything we buy is disposable and temporary. It is impossible to keep up, the only thing that will make a true difference is reduction.

That is propaganda.  Making a landfill is far easier and quicker than making a recycling system.

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

That is propaganda.  Making a landfill is far easier and quicker than making a recycling system.

It is not propaganda it is the statistics. Do you really think that making everything disposable is not going to increase waste? Clothes alone we throw out 6 tonnes every ten minutes, every year a billion disposable coffee cups are thrown out in Australia alone, America throws out 151 million mobile phones a year, the World bank estimates about 1.3 billion tons of waste is created every year and looking at past performance they see a 70% increase in waste in the next thirty years. And recycling is just one step, it is about reverting a whole system back to being less dependant on disposable temporary products. if we don't change the system now it will be much harder and more expensive to change in the future as developing nations will become more developed and they will produce more waste.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

It is not propaganda it is the statistics. Do you really think that making everything disposable is not going to increase waste? Clothes alone we throw out 6 tonnes every ten minutes, every year a billion disposable coffee cups are thrown out in Australia alone, America throws out 151 million mobile phones a year, the World bank estimates about 1.3 billion tons of waste is created every year and looking at past performance they see a 70% increase in waste in the next thirty years. And recycling is just one step, it is about reverting a whole system back to being less dependant on disposable temporary products. if we don't change the system now it will be much harder and more expensive to change in the future as developing nations will become more developed and they will produce more waste.

Why is it environmentalists always focus on reverting a whole system back to the good ole days of  yesteryear?  Are you that afraid of an improved way of life for everyone, including those in the developing nations?

8 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why is it environmentalists always focus on reverting a whole system back to the good ole days of  yesteryear?  Are you that afraid of an improved way of life for everyone, including those in the developing nations?

You really think life is that much better because of disposable coffee cups? You think the anxiety of young people to never be seen in the same T shirt twice on Instagram is an improvement in life? I have a perfectly functioning printer but now I have to throw it away and purchase a new one simply because the company has decided not to make ink cartridges for it. I can't refill the cartridges because the micro chips won't recognise it and generic subsitutes are hit and miss if they work again because of the microchip. Now I am forced to purchase a new item even though I have a perfectly functioning one. That is not improving my life if I have more expense and hassle. Disposibility has not improved things, it encourages things to be made badly like phones screens that break on the smallest falls and IKEA chests that topple on toddlers because they are not properly designed. Developing nations deserve better then that don't you think?

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

You really think life is that much better because of disposable coffee cups? You think the anxiety of young people to never be seen in the same T shirt twice on Instagram is an improvement in life? I have a perfectly functioning printer but now I have to throw it away and purchase a new one simply because the company has decided not to make ink cartridges for it. I can't refill the cartridges because the micro chips won't recognise it and generic subsitutes are hit and miss if they work again because of the microchip. Now I am forced to purchase a new item even though I have a perfectly functioning one. That is not improving my life if I have more expense and hassle. Disposibility has not improved things, it encourages things to be made badly like phones screens that break on the smallest falls and IKEA chests that topple on toddlers because they are not properly designed. Developing nations deserve better then that don't you think?

I've heard that argument for ages.  Things just aren't made like they used to be.  Sure, they were expensive and perhaps they lasted longer but they were far more expensive.  This process has made our lives much more liveable and at less cost.  Yes, the developing nations deserve the same standard of living.  BTW, the environmentalist mantra that we must cut back only dooms those in the developing world to continued poverty and misery.  Is that what you want?

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

I've heard that argument for ages.  Things just aren't made like they used to be.  Sure, they were expensive and perhaps they lasted longer but they were far more expensive.  This process has made our lives much more liveable and at less cost.  Yes, the developing nations deserve the same standard of living.  BTW, the environmentalist mantra that we must cut back only dooms those in the developing world to continued poverty and misery.  Is that what you want?

The reality is our current disposable world is unsustainable. IKEA has to use illeagally logged trees because there is not enough legal wood to keep up with their easily breakable furniture. We choose to keep people in poverty and misery because we want ten $1 T Shirts that if lucky even gets worn once rather than people being paid properly for the effort they put in. People wanted milk so cheap that it cost more to produce so what happens, dairy farmers started leaving the market. If they keep leaving the market will we have to start importing milk, having to depend on other countries for a food source is hardly what I would call an improvement. We want everything so cheap but don't want to accept the consequences of what that cheapness means and the other losses in terms of resources. And by the way a Samsung phone at $1300 is not what I consider cheap.

• Like 1