Cancelling Standard Tips

Potty Terracotta

Hi...I am being curious but what constitutes a decent wage. How much are the "every day" crew paid by P&O? Does the amount paid by P&O constitute a "decent wage" in the countries that the crew originate from. I would imagine that a lot of the "countries of birth" have a lower wage economy than ours so we can't compare it with our rates of pay...the crew do not reside in our country.

If the staff feel that they are being "stiffed" by P&O why do they work for them...surely rates of pay...hours and terms & conditions are explained to them before they " sign up"

I think companies are taking advantage of workers worries.

Zero hours, commission only are just 2 examples where the companies call the shots in the UK.

I think companies are taking advantage of workers worries.

Zero hours, commission only are just 2 examples where the companies call the shots in the UK.

So the crew are on zero hour contracts or just rely on commission ( tips,gratuities etc) ?

So the crew are on zero hour contracts or just rely on commission ( tips,gratuities etc) ?

I answered your question by saying the crew are probably scared to lose their jobs which lets companies like P&O take advantage.

The other comments were aimed at a lot of UK employers ie Sports Direct who offer zero hours contracts and some sales companies who class people as agents on commission only but still act as though they employ them as examples of how widespread employers in the UK also take advantage of workers worries.

Can I suggest that new posters first revisit other tipping threads, where these questions have been debated at length.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Some new posters are posting their views on a current thread.

Nothing wrong with that and people should be able to vent their opinions freely otherwise whats the point?in having this forum.

Can I suggest that new posters first revisit other tipping threads, where these questions have been debated at length.

You can suggest as often as you wish but people can choose which boards they can contribute to. You do not have to contribute or read these posts if you find the questions by new posters tiresome or tedious.

You can suggest as often as you wish but people can choose which boards they can contribute to. You do not have to contribute or read these posts if you find the questions by new posters tiresome or tedious.

Totally agree as per my post #82.

I would guess ours is the same. People that leave their cabin in a real state are selfish and ignorant and I agree that they should be made to clean up their own mess or charged extra for cleaning.

That could be quite contentious.Who would make the decision that the cabin state exceeds the permitted level?

Just allow an allocated amount of time for the cabin steward per cabin. If you leave such a mess the steward needs to take longer, you have to buy the extra time.

But in reality that is what people should be doing anyway by leaving additional tips.

Just allow an allocated amount of time for the cabin steward per cabin. If you leave such a mess the steward needs to take longer, you have to buy the extra time.

But in reality that is what people should be doing anyway by leaving additional tips.

If people treated their cabins as if they were their own bedrooms it would hopefully make the cabin stewards job easier,i know we always leave our cabin very tidy at all times.

The North Americans love a tipping thread. Most are horrified by anyone suggesting they 'remove the auto gratuities.' But then tipping is in their culture.:rolleyes:

Then when you visit there you are sucked in to that culture by emotional blackmail.

You get excellent friendly service in a restaurant then they hand you a card with your bill stating excellent service is rewarded by a 20% tip.

Then when you visit there you are sucked in to that culture by emotional blackmail.

You get excellent friendly service in a restaurant then they hand you a card with your bill stating excellent service is rewarded by a 20% tip.

Agree, in Huntington Beach, California (near LA) pre Panama Cruise last year, some restaurants were hitting you for 25% service charge.:evilsmile: Over the top. Many had 3 boxes on your bill, 15%, 20%, 25%, tick the box.

If people treated their cabins as if they were their own bedrooms it would hopefully make the cabin stewards job easier,i know we always leave our cabin very tidy at all times.

Gee if I left my cabin like my bedroom at home the poor Steward would jump ship.

And if someone dares resurrect an old thread they’ll get told “This thread is x years old” can’t win either way around here.

Another reason why you should prepay your tips.

They work 7 days a week up to 15 hours a day give them a break or they will break.

I used to work that, plus a bit extra some weeks, no tips came my way.

If you take into account the average cabin steward/ MDR Steward gets about US$2000 per month with the 'tipping pool', with free board and medical coverage thrown in, it is a decent wage for someone from the Philippines or India, where $2000 a month is the sort of wage a teacher or senior public servant gets.

They work on the ships for 5 or 10 years or so, send their money home, then quit the ships and buy a home and/or a business.

Yes, they work hard, 18 cabins or so to look after, a lot of hours, but at the end of the day, they are there by choice. Do you know they also have to pay a few bucks to the stewards who clean their own cabins? Plus on turn around day, a few bucks to their helpers to assist the cabin stewards in making up the cabin for new pax.

Tough life for the stewards and we appreciate what they do, looking after us. I treat them well and I am sure most pax do.

If you take into account the average cabin steward/ MDR Steward gets about US$2000 per month with the 'tipping pool', with free board and medical coverage thrown in, it is a decent wage for someone from the Philippines or India, where $2000 a month is the sort of wage a teacher or senior public servant gets.

They work on the ships for 5 or 10 years or so, send their money home, then quit the ships and buy a home and/or a business.

Yes, they work hard, 18 cabins or so to look after, a lot of hours, but at the end of the day, they are there by choice. Do you know they also have to pay a few bucks to the stewards who clean their own cabins? Plus on turn around day, a few bucks to their helpers to assist the cabin stewards in making up the cabin for new pax.

Tough life for the stewards and we appreciate what they do, looking after us. I treat them well and I am sure most pax do.

Thank you for answering my question from an earlier post (74). I was being curious and also a comment had been made about P&O "stiffing" the staff. The answer that I received from them I misunderstood...thought it was telling me that they had zero contract hours and worked on commission basis IE tips/gratuities..

So they receive US2000 a month....wow....would think in their low wage country of birth that would be quite a considerable sum...not quite sure that constitutes being "stiffed".

I worked in service industry back in the day...I worked 44 hours a week....spread over 6 days....and received £35....converted into today's value. Tips...maybe....but whether I was tipped or not they recieved "service with a smile"...in my book part of the job

Stewards work hard. I thought working conditions had improved under International Labour Organisation rules.

My understanding is working hours are limited to 71 hours a week. Paid holidays at the rate of 2.5 days a month. Guaranteed contracted salary that the shipping line has to make up if we do not tips. I could be wrong on all this but I hope things are getting better for the crew of ships.

Some cruise lines have reduced service levels. For example no evening cabin service and reduced waiter service at lunch and breakfast. I assumed that was done to reduce working hours in accordance with the regulations.

Saying people don't have to do these jobs if the don't like them assumes everybody has that choice. In many economies choices are limited. People have to work to survive themselves and support their families. I would not want to exploit that situation by taking a cruise.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not want to exploit that situation by taking a cruise.

But then that would reduce their opportunities of supporting themselves & families....at least by taking cruises it gives them a chance if they have limited opportunity in their own countries to create a better life. As an earlier post said after 10 years or so they can go home and buy house and/or a business ....wouldn't think many of them would be able to achieve that if there were no cruise lines for them to achieve that.

Can I risk being controversial?

There is clearly a lot of disagreement and confusion over auto gratuities all of which has been well discussed.

There appears to be several different actions.

Auto Gratuities are left on.

Auto Gratuities are left on and extra tips are given to staff directly.

Auto Gratuities are removed and tips are given to staff directly.

Auto Gratuities are removed and no tips are given.

Does anyone think there is any merit in carrying out a poll to see what CC members do?

I don't know what we could do with the results but I think it may make interesting reading if we could encourage people to vote, anonymously of course.

I would not want to exploit that situation by taking a cruise.

But then that would reduce their opportunities of supporting themselves & families....at least by taking cruises it gives them a chance if they have limited opportunity in their own countries to create a better life. As an earlier post said after 10 years or so they can go home and buy house and/or a business ....wouldn't think many of them would be able to achieve that if there were no cruise lines for them to achieve that.

I think we all agree really. We all want to ensure our crew are treated fairly and can achieve a comfortable life for themselves and their families.

On this forum we perhaps disagree on how P and O should enable this. For example automatic tipping, cash tipping, extra tipping or tips built in the fare. We have very little definitive information about what happens to our tips and how crew are remunerated. We have to rely on O and O do the right thing.