Can you use someone else's cruise credit?

ddcares

My parents were unable to go on a princess cruise because my mothers cancer was not taken care of by chemo and she needed several more rounds and we are still working on it. My parents were given cruise credit because they say it was a preexisting condition. Can they give us the credit to use as they will not be able to use it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My parents were unable to go on a princess cruise because my mothers cancer was not taken care of by chemo and she needed several more rounds and we are still working on it. My parents were given cruise credit because they say it was a preexisting condition. Can they give us the credit to use as they will not be able to use it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you mean they (your parents) had to cancel their cruise, but Princess would only give them credit to use on a future cruise?

I don't believe that sort of future cruise credit is transferable. It must be used by the person who's cruise was cancelled and who received the credit.

I doubt you will have any luck getting your mom's FCC applied to someone else's booking.

But I suggest you fight harder to prove your mom may be eligible for a refund rather than an FCC. If the insurance in question is the Princess Vacation Protection (you didn't specify whether it is that, or an independent policy) all you have to do is submit proof of either (1) your mom wasn't diagnosed before the date insurance was paid; or (2) even if she was diagnosed the condition was chronic but not acute during the first 60 days after insurance was paid. Notice that the critical date is the date the insurance was paid, not the date the cruise was booked. A good reason to purchase insurance at the time of booking rather than wait until when final payment is due--as long as you are fairly certain you would only cancel for an emergency.

(Of course, if contradictory information was submitted when the claim was first filed your chances are slim to none. Your mom's physician should have known how to word their statement on the claim form in your mom's favor in the first place)

I think you are referring to Princess Vacation Insurance and the cancel for any reason clause, correct? If so it sounds like your mother's cancellation is for a covered medical reason. I would read the insurance details carefully and attempt to get an insurance payment.

The issue (as I understand it) is that her mom already had the cancer diagnosis when the Princess Vacation Protection was purchased.

If the oncologists felt she would be fine to travel once the recommended treatment had been completed, I would think that any reoccurrence or additional treatment required because the cancer situation changed would not be a pre-existing condition. I agree that this needs to be appealed.

However, if the oncologists indicated they would start by doing one treatment and then, based on pathology results and diagnostic imaging might recommend an undetermined course of additional treatment, and her mom booked the cruise before getting the agreement of her oncologists, I think that AON Affinity (the administrator for Princess Vacation Protection) might be justified in calling it pre-existing and only issuing a Future Cruise Credit.

I’m confused about the timing. How soon after the initial chemo treatments was it determined more were needed? If it’s several months or a year later, I again feel that this should be appealed.

The problem with AON Affinity (and most travel insurance) is that it’s nearly impossible to nail them down in what will be covered and what won’t ahead

of time. Their advice is always to file a claim and it will be considered. It’s a bit of a racket, really. Pay us now and we’ll tell you later what you’ve bought. Still, that’s why we like Princess Vacation Protection. At least if a claim is denied, a Future Cruise Credit is issued...providing it can be used before it expires.

We don’t know all the details, but I certainly send good wishes for successful treatment, even if it takes longer than originally anticipated. I have been dealing with the same thing this summer, and think that if now, after the doctors have told me I’m fine and they’ll see me next spring, they called and said there was a change, it would be more difficult than the original diagnosis.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first read the title I thought it read, can you use someone else's credit card. I thought, SURE! My kid's do it all the time. My favorite was when my son, DIL and DGD were in the line next to me checking in and he casually turns to me and says, "mom, I need your credit card." I said, I paid for your cruise, air fare and excursions. Why do you need my credit card? "How do you expect me to pay my onboard expenses and my tips? I don't have any money" he says. Heavy sigh. "I dunno" I say as I hand it over wondering where my DD was. I found her in her cabin at the end of the cruise wondering why she hadn't asked me for my CC yet LOL. "Here, use mine", I say. So, yes, you can use someone else's credit CARD :')