And now for something completey different - the Oder river

notamermaid

You might have heard of this river in Europe, but you will be forgiven if you have not. For river cruisers it leads a sleepy existence compared to its famous nearest larger river, the Elbe. In geographical and political terms it is a very import river (and not a short one in Europe either) as it is part of the border of Germany with Poland.

The Oder is navigable for a very long stretch and turns into an "inland sea" flowing into the Baltic Sea. River cruises are available. But first here is the wikipedia page about the Oder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oder

notamermaid

Now unto river cruises:

in this area - just like on the Elbe - companies use smaller ships. You might have guessed it, the area is popular with German cruisers. The German river cruise companies Nicko Cruises, Phoenix, Plantours and 1A Vista Reisen offer trips from April to October. This is where it gets interesting for anglophones: CroisiEurope also sails the river and the canals in that area. They use their ship MS Mona Lisa as advertised in Germany. For the English-speaking market I found no ship name but here is the river cruise they offer, quite different from the standard cruises: http://www.croisieurope.travel/en-gb/cruises/berlin-copenhagen-havel-oder-and-baltic-sea

For the UK there is also an option available. Titantravel offers a cruise on the MS Katharina von Bora, a ship belonging to nicko cruises.

To give you an idea of the size of ships for the area: the MS Katharina von Bora is suitable for 80 passengers, 83m long, 9.5m wide and has a draft of 1.1m. Figures taken from the nicko cruises website.

Luxuriously spacious cabins, spa, multiple dining options? No way on such a small ship, of course. But the chance to sail a different part of Europe where 20th century history is always present, a different language (Polish) is spoken, one can hear a German dialect very different from the Rhine area of Germany and much slawic influence can be experienced. Oh, and the Romans never got as far as the Oder, not even as far as the Elbe, actually... They called it Germania Magna, a place where wild hords of German tribes roamed the countryside.

If this is unexplored territory for you as well, you have a chance to see it on a proper river cruise. Or just do a DIY post-cruise extension after a Viking cruise on the Elbe.

By the way, I have been to Szczecin (in German we call the town Stettin, a bit easier to pronounce) and found the town very interesting. I am sure since I have been there they have done a brilliant job of restoring the old houses. The landscape between river and sea, the lagoon at Szczecin, is also great to see.

notamermaid

Hello member,

I suspect all cruises for 2018 are already fixed, most brochures will be out soon, in e-paper or paper format. When you look for "Oder river cruise" on the web you can find a couple more offers in the UK. But I could not see Christmas market cruises just now.

The MS Frederic Chopin is another ship that sails in the area.

notamermaid

• 4 months later...

Another most interesting thread!

I only "know" of the Oder because there is another Frankfurt which is situated along this river. So when you are looking for a train to the big city of Frankfurt, you better choose "Frankfurt am Main" rather than "Frankfurt an der Oder." They are on opposite sides of the country!

I did not find this out the hard way, thankfully. But some day I will want to explore this area.

• 11 months later...

In the thread on the Elbe river Fuelscience has drawn our attention to nicko cruises' offer for the Oder. Here it is: https://www.nicko-cruises.de/en/expose/dreams-of-the-baltic-sea/

It is offered by nickocruises directly, but Titan Travel in the UK offered cruises on the Oder on nickocruises' ship Katharina von Bora (see my post above). The one nickocruises uses for the itinerary linked to above. Revisiting Titan Travel's website reveals no cruises on the Oder this year.

Further exploring the UK market shows that Saga offers a most unusual itinerary: https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/river/where-we-go/oder/journey-through-poland-to-germany.aspx?boardbasis=FB#app-Tabs-activeTab|itinerary||

Another itinerary, similar to the one offered by nickocruises, is this one: https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/river/where-we-go/oder/passage-through-pomerania-berlin-tegel-to-stralsund.aspx?boardbasis=AI

notamermaid

• 1 year later...

As you might expect, the Oder river is still not a standard river for cruising. But there is a new itinerary that lets you get a glimpse of the river and area. VIVA cruises stop in Szczecin, during the Baltic islands hopping on the Swiss Diamond: https://www.viva-*****/en/cruisedetail/?id=146&startDate=2021-05-15&dur=7&endDate=2021-05-22&adults=2&children=

notamermaid

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jazzbeau,

Thank you for posting this. Another interesting charter with CroisiEurope.

It is essentially the itinerary CroisiEurope offers on the German-speaking market, with a few details geared more towards British guests. Really nice.

notamermaid

• 3 months later...

And here is oneof  the most unusual itineraries I have ever seen. Sail out of Berlin to the East! Plantours only markets to German-speaking countries but it is an interesting read and you can see what is possible with a small ship: https://www.plantours-partner.de/kulturschaetze-am-oderufer-san0121.html

(If you would something translating or explained, I would be happy to be of assistance if I can)

From cultural highlights of the region to a feat of engineering, this itinerary has a lot to offer. The engineering of note is the Schiffhebewerk Niederfinow, a lift for ships: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niederfinow_Boat_Lift

The new lift has reached completion (more or less) and will replace the old in 2025 (info as of Autumn 2020).

I would love to see Breslau (Wroclaw), it has one of the oldest universities in Europe.

notamermaid

On 2/17/2021 at 4:36 PM, notamermaid said:

And here is oneof  the most unusual itineraries I have ever seen. Sail out of Berlin to the East! Plantours only markets to German-speaking countries but it is an interesting read and you can see what is possible with a small ship: https://www.plantours-partner.de/kulturschaetze-am-oderufer-san0121.html

(If you would something translating or explained, I would be happy to be of assistance if I can)

notamermaid

Looks like an intersting programme - as well as other itineraries by Plantours. Just a pity they wont sail in six weeks time......

• 11 months later...
On 2/19/2021 at 11:53 AM, AnhaltER1960 said:

Looks like an intersting programme - as well as other itineraries by Plantours. Just a pity they wont sail in six weeks time......

Another year, another try. Plantours is again starting the river cruising season with its itinerary along the Oder called Kulturschätze am Oderufer: on the MS Sans Souci. Starting in Berlin, the ship will take you among other places to Frankfurt (Oder), Eisenhüttenstadt, Beuthen, Wroclaw (Breslau) and back: https://www.plantours-partner.de/oder-kreuzfahrt-san0122.html

Unfortunately, this itinerary is not bilingual, i.e. Plantours still only caters to the German speaking market. But there are a few offers in that region on the international market for 2022 that we will have a look at in the next post.

notamermaid

Oh wow these boat lifts are the most amazing examples of engineering there is one in France that is similar, I’ve seen it before it was restored evidently it is now working, I think. In England we have the Anderton boat Lift and the Falkirk wheel is a modern version.

In our Archive we have a book dated 1766 it is a treatise on how to build a canal translated from the French, the end plates are superb you can see where Heath Robinson got his ideas from!

The canals as we know them now may have been started in the Georgian period but wow how the Victorians grabbed the ideas and ran with them is amazing. (Actually Georgian & Victorian are very English expressions is there a European equivalent?

That with Georgian and Victorian is a very English phenomenon. In German we refer to them as georgianisch and viktorianisch and the word Zeitalter for era. Our history - like the French - is divided differently, several complicated chapters that intertwine politically and historically. We cannot refer to the X built that in such and such a time as regards canals that easily. It would be something like "the Prussians did that" or "under Napoleonic rule they did that". We tend to say Franzosenzeit, or Biedermeier, or refering to after 1848, etc. Then in a quite literally more unified age and term we say Wilhelminisch, or Kaiserzeit, that is from 1871 onwards. And there the context with building and engineering becomes an easier one to grasp. But of course we also refer to achievements in the context of the Industrial Revolution.

Canals in Germany go back a long way, with like in Britain an increase in the 18th century. And while train, truck and plane have become overwhelming competitors for transport, in terms of bulk a ship cannot be beaten for some things. That fact means canals have been built right up to present times. It gave us the Main Danube Canal in 1992 and the fact that you can now traverse Europe on a river cruise ship.

notamermaid

Lorries on a Sunday - had forgotten about that. It means only essential/perishable goods can be taken across roads on Sundays and during late evening/night. Cannot remember more details. Actually, I did not know there is no such rule in Britain. We are also still quite strict with Sunday shopping.

Canals are great for bulk transport. There would not even be enough drivers for lorries to take that load and it would clog up some train routes. It was only when regular trains with strong engines came along that they actually became competition for canals and rivers. The Rhine is still one of the major transport routes in Europe hence the fact that the companies and increasingly authorities are so anxious and determined to alter the Middle Rhine. Low water problems.

Trimodal transport is a great asset for a city to be able to offer and while the Oder is not even close to the Rhine in terms of transport there are companies along that river which could benefit from further engineering of that waterway. There is also a connection from the Oder via Berlin to the North and West of Germany. Hence the fact that we can take a river cruise along those waterways. Albeit on a smaller ship than on the Rhine and Danube.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Grammar

On 2/18/2022 at 10:52 PM, notamermaid said:

But there are a few offers in that region on the international market for 2022 that we will have a look at in the next post.

This is one by CroisiEurope, Copenhagen to Berlin, on the MS Victor Hugo or MS Mona Lisa: https://www.croisieuroperivercruises.com/cruise/copenhagen-berlin-baltic-sea-oder-havel-rivers-classic#

These are the offers by Viva Cruises on the MS Swiss Diamond: https://www.viva-*****/en/cruiselisting?destinations=Ostsee%2CBaltic+Sea&adults=2

Unfortunately, neither of those sail on the upstream part of the Oder river, i.e. Frankfurt (Oder) and further South. What is special about both itineraries is that they sail on rivers and canals and out into the lagoon of Szczecin.

notamermaid

On 2/19/2022 at 8:15 PM, Canal archive said:

Oh wow these boat lifts are the most amazing examples of engineering there is one in France that is similar, I’ve seen it before it was restored evidently it is now working, I think. In England we have the Anderton boat Lift and the Falkirk wheel is a modern version.

In our Archive we have a book dated 1766 it is a treatise on how to build a canal translated from the French, the end plates are superb you can see where Heath Robinson got his ideas from!

The canals as we know them now may have been started in the Georgian period but wow how the Victorians grabbed the ideas and ran with them is amazing. (Actually Georgian & Victorian are very English expressions is there a European equivalent?

Here we go. Exiting Anderton Lift.

DSC_0529.JPG

With these locks being a fantastic but time-consuming invention, i.e. it just takes you ages to operate them, a few of these locks that were built close together, have been replaced by boat lifts. Such a flight of locks was actually also at the Niederfinow boat lift, that I have linked to above. It goes like this, history in brief: first there was the canal with four locks, built in 1912. It was already clear then that the maximum capacity of the lock chambers would not be enough in the future so a boat lift was already envisaged and the layout of the canal incorporates a plan for a boat lift to be constructed. The lock of flights is in photo number 4: https://holzmann-bildarchiv.de/bauen-im-ausland/das-schiffshebewerk-niederfinow-der-grundbau/

The boat lift was constructed and then opened to traffic in 1934. In 1972, the flight of locks was closed. The site of the locks fell into disrepair. Where the locks used to be there is now the completed modern boat lift that will take over the traffic from the old boat lift. Nothing of the old flight of locks system remains.

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 11:00 PM, Canal archive said:

The ingenuity of the waterways engineers is amazing.

Indeed. It always fascinates me. The fact that people came up with the idea of transport through canals to get goods from one place to another, in modern times, where we have so much more time for leisure, means we can join the barge traffic on a river cruise ship - or self-drive boat on the smaller canals.

Another company that makes use of this is Saga UK. I have linked to itineraries in previous years. This year, Saga is travelling East again, from Berlin through the Niederfinow boat lift, onto the Oder and out to sea. This is Berlin to Copenhagen, called "Discover the scenic seaside attractions of Pomerania": https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/river/where-we-go/oder-river-cruises/berlin-to-copenhagen.aspx?boardbasis=

If one did not want to go all the way to Copenhagen on the ferry, I suppose one could arrange with Saga to cut this short and travel from Rostock to Hamburg by fast train for example. A fascinating city which has an international airport, too.

notamermaid

• 6 months later...

The Oder has suffered much during the hot Summer and sadly saw the demise of a large number of fish due to most likely a special type of algae that is toxic (latest expert opinion, investigation not completed, there is also industry along the river). The situation is better and the river levels have risen. On the map the gauges now show green again, that means mean water levels:

image.png.d3d640d9fe2b325d4554374ae15f123f.png

And good news is coming from the Canal. The new boat lift at Niederfinow has successfully completed the test runs and will fully open to ships (see also post #11). Article in German says the grand opening is on 4 October, guided tours starting on 5 October. https://schiffshebewerk-niederfinow.com/en/

Events happening on the celebratory weekend before are listed on the German page.

The boat lift connects Berlin via the Havel river with the Oder, standing on the Canal, on the map here between Eberswalde and Oderberg, where it says Finowkanal:

image.png.999bd8f5fdf82298763aa814ffda722f.png

notamermaid

• 4 weeks later...