Nile - Choices, choises, choises

Toofarfromthesea

I am starting research and due diligence for an early 2019 Nile cruise package and I have been surprised at the variety of choices available.

First we have the Viking/Uni world/et al cruiselines. Presumably they offer a pretty westernized experience. The boats seem very nice - quite a bit smaller than the European boats they run. The issue with them is cost. We would be looking at 4-6,000 ppm for these lines. Example: Viking Ra

Next, there are Egyptian version of these types of boats. These seem similar in overall design as the Viking et al boats with, perhaps, not as much elegance. It is hard to judge other aspects of the experience they offer, but my assumption would be that they are a step below. However, they are significantly cheaper. Even with the nicest boats the price is a third to a half the price. Example: Sonestra St. George

Next we start to get to the other options, starting with steam cruisers. These are very nice as well. This is the style of ship depicted in Death on the Nile. In one case the boat used to be a royal yacht. The cost of these is less than the Euro-lines, but more than the comparable Egyptian lines. Example: MS Misr

Finally the very intriguing option of a dahabiya cruise. Dahabiyas are wind and current powered boats that are small (under 20 pax) but the best are pretty elegant and well appointed. The only engines are for generating electricity so they are quiet and really let you hear the sounds of the Nile. By Egyptian standards these type cruises are not cheap, but they are still half the price of the Eurolines. Example: Sonestra Amirat.

I've watched a number of YouTube videos on all of these. I'm leaning towards the dahabiya option because of the uniqueness of the experience.

I'd love to hear any comments from folks who have researched these options, and folks who have been on any of these. Or if I am overlooking any options.

Thanks

20+ years ago I was backpacking though Egypt and rode deck class on a felucca for 4 days from Aswan to Esna (US$ 30 + $10 for the food kitty [the mate was an excellent cook]).Much more basic than a dahabiya ("facilities" were pull ashore and walk into a field), but it is a trip I recall fondly after many more river trips in Europe, Asia and South America. I strongly concur with the serenity of the dahabiya. ENJOY!

Thom

You did your research for me, how wonderful!

Apart from the Viking boat, the others are organized by hotel chains, Moevenpick (Swiss) and Sonesta. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. In a European paper, I read that lots of Swiss are travelling to Egypt.

My criteria are always: safe food, bathroom and shower in working order. I wouldn't go for the overly ornate deco because it attracts too much dust and dirt. What else is included? Guides on organized shore excursions? How is the trip to the boat organized?

20+ years ago I was backpacking though Egypt and rode deck class on a felucca for 4 days from Aswan to Esna (US$ 30 + $10 for the food kitty [the mate was an excellent cook]).Much more basic than a dahabiya ("facilities" were pull ashore and walk into a field), but it is a trip I recall fondly after many more river trips in Europe, Asia and South America. I strongly concur with the serenity of the dahabiya. ENJOY!

Thom

Ah, if I was still young . . .

My impression on the 4 options I listed is that they are all in a similar ballpark in terms of the quality and elegance of the boats, which is the level we are looking for.

Thanks for the response.

You did your research for me, how wonderful!

Apart from the Viking boat, the others are organized by hotel chains, Moevenpick (Swiss) and Sonesta. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. In a European paper, I read that lots of Swiss are travelling to Egypt.

My criteria are always: safe food, bathroom and shower in working order. I wouldn't go for the overly ornate deco because it attracts too much dust and dirt. What else is included? Guides on organized shore excursions? How is the trip to the boat organized?

My pleasure, ;).

I have seen some of the ones offered by hotels, but there are also packages put together by tour companies. It gets a little confusing at times because there was consolidation of these companies in the wake of the political unrest a few years ago.

For example, I saw an intriguing YouTube video of a dahabiya package from Egypt Gate 1, so I looked them up on the net, found them and the exact tour from the video. I sent an inquiry to get pricing info and lo and behold the response came from Memphis Tours, who I assume, absorbed Egypt Gate 1. That was actually a plus, for me, because Memphis was a company I had already looked at and they were the #1 ranked Cairo tour company on tripadvisor.

I assume from your first comment you are contemplating a similar trip? If so, when are you thinking about? How much research have you done? I am very much of the same mind as you on what some of the important things are.

One of the interesting things is that a lot of the packages involve domestic transfers between Cairo and Luxor/Aswan. The higher price ones have you fly, but some of the less expensive ones use night trains. I've never traveled on a night train before, but in a couple of months we will be taking one from Krakow to Budapest to hook up with our Viking Christmas Market cruise. If we really like the train we might consider replacing one of the two air transfers with a night train transfer. After watching YouTube videos of Egyptian trains, if there any.

In my brief exchange with the Memphis rep it was clear to me that they will make whatever modifications you want, so subbing in a train in place of air would be no problem. Given the political unrest of a few years ago and its devastating effect on tourism, it is definitely a buyers market.

I'm a little surprised, in fact, that the Euro lines are able to maintain their high prices, there. My guess is that there is still residual pent up demand for a 'safe' travel experience and, fairly or unfairly, the tours from the Egyptian companies are not perceived to be as 'safe'. Because the Euro line itineraries I looked at for 2018 were almost all sold out.

Anyway, as you progress further into your planning I hope you will stay in touch, here. I'm happy to hear anything you find out and to share my own discoveries, and bounce ideas off each other.

Oh, and on the issue of what is included and excluded, this is what the Memphis guy had for the tour I inquired about, which was for a 12 day dahabiya package on the Sonesta Amirat which, from YouTube videos, looks like a lovely boat. FYI the quoted price for this package was $2295 per person.

Trip includes

• Meet & assist in all mentioned airports
  • All transportation by private AC vehicles
  • 04 nights in Cairo hotel with breakfast - Fairmont Hotels
  • 07 nights aboard 05 star Dahabiya Nile cruise on Full Board basis
  • All private guided tours in Cairo
  • All Dahabiya crusie tours sharing group
  • Entrance tickets to all sites as per itinerary
  • Skilled Egyptologist guide during trips
  • Lunch & bottled water during trips in Cairo
  • All domestic flights
  • Mobile loan (30 minutes & 5 minutes International local)
  • All service charges and taxes.

Trip Excludes:

• International Airfare
  • Entry visa to Egypt
  • Any optional tours
  • Personal spendings
  • Tipping

-------------------

I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I had fully dived into Nile cruise preparations. My husband is so hesitant that we booked two other cruises instead, one of them Dubai - Oman -Bahrain - Dubai.

No huhu.

Maybe someone else will come along to share ideas with. And hey, I am a big believer in the proposition that 2 cruises are better than 1, so there's that. ;)

Have a great time on your B2B.

Next we start to get to the other options, starting with steam cruisers. These are very nice as well. This is the style of ship depicted in Death on the Nile. In one case the boat used to be a royal yacht. The cost of these is less than the Euro-lines, but more than the comparable Egyptian lines. Example: MS Misr.

Misr is operated by Mövenpick, the Swiss hotel group. We did the long Nile cruise from Cairo all the way down to Aswan on MS Darakum another of the ships operated by Mövenpick.

MS Misr was often alongside us during the journey.

The main difference I'd say between the Mövenpick ships and the more expensive 'Westernized' experience is that there is no pretence of offering 'French cuisine' or similar. The food is good but mostly local, which is of course a bonus if that is what you are looking for.

The mix on our cruise was 95% western guests with about 5 different tour groups ranging from very small numbers up to Jules Verne with a group of around 30 people.

At the time we were sailing the Misr had as far as we could see a completely non-Western passenger list, but that varies from cruise to cruise and it does seem that they try to sell the whole ship in one direction or the other so they avoid cultural issues like the serving of alcohol and sunbathing.

Happy to answer any questions you may have, but I'd suggest you figure out where you want to go and they see who can provide the itinerary you want as very few ships sail the long Nile route, but many do the Luxor to Aswan route so your choice of destinations to some extent limits your choice of ships...

Misr is operated by Mövenpick, the Swiss hotel group. We did the long Nile cruise from Cairo all the way down to Aswan on MS Darakum another of the ships operated by Mövenpick.

MS Misr was often alongside us during the journey.

The main difference I'd say between the Mövenpick ships and the more expensive 'Westernized' experience is that there is no pretence of offering 'French cuisine' or similar. The food is good but mostly local, which is of course a bonus if that is what you are looking for.

The mix on our cruise was 95% western guests with about 5 different tour groups ranging from very small numbers up to Jules Verne with a group of around 30 people.

At the time we were sailing the Misr had as far as we could see a completely non-Western passenger list, but that varies from cruise to cruise and it does seem that they try to sell the whole ship in one direction or the other so they avoid cultural issues like the serving of alcohol and sunbathing.

Happy to answer any questions you may have, but I'd suggest you figure out where you want to go and they see who can provide the itinerary you want as very few ships sail the long Nile route, but many do the Luxor to Aswan route so your choice of destinations to some extent limits your choice of ships...

Thanks for the response. For me the specific 'where you want to go' is a lower priority than cost and which of the several experiences I want, since there are options. This is probably our one and only trip to Egypt so as long as we see the highlights - Cairo, pyramids, museum, Luxor temples, temples on the Luxor/Aswan route, etc. the 'where we want to go' part will be satisfied. But your point is well taken, and I have already leaned very much towards the Luxor/Aswan length cruise. We are not in depth tourists, more experiential tourists, if that makes any sense.

That is why the dahabiya option is so intriguing. I'm not sure this type of cruise would be available in other parts of the world, so it has a ring of authenticity of experience that really appeals to us. Provided it still provides comfort and elegance, which reviews and YouTube videos seem to confirm they do, since I am still a pampered American. There IS a limit to authenticity, after all, LOL.

Hi Toofarfromthesea,

We are leaving at the end of this month for a Nile cruise and have booked through Insight Tours. We have done 3 other river cruises with Viking, Avalon and AMA and enjoyed each of them. We look at the itinerary and price and choose from there. I have to go that route because my husband feels safer with well known company. I chose our particular tour with Insight because we would sail to Abu Simbel and dock and not leave until after the sunset over the ruins. The other tours only offered Abu Simbel as an optional tour to fly there and I figured the way my luck runs there would be a sandstorm so we wouldn't be able to go. As it turns out, we got a notice about a change in our tour, the day after final payment I might add. Supposedly due to "technical difficulties" we wouldn't be able to sail the Aswan part of the cruise at all which of course includes Abu Simbel! There is a cheaper tour that leaves the same day as ours that offered AS as an optional tour, flying there for a couple of hours and returning to Aswan later in the day. I believe that both tours were not full and they have combined the two of them declaring "technical difficulties" to us with the more expensive tour. They have included AS as a tour for us but we are flying there like the other tour is doing only we don't have to pay additional monies. I did have the option of cancelling and receiving the full amount back in the form of a credit needed to be used up within 2 years, with Insight. Who knows what the next 2 years are going to bring us and we have dog sitter/house sitter, car service, etc. already booked of course. So I will keep my fingers crossed that we won't have a sandstorm or any other problem and that I will get to one of the main things I am looking forward to seeing, Abu Simbel. I am still going to Egypt which is my #1 bucket list item so I am still a happy camper but I don't believe it was "technical issues" lol. I will post a review when we get home and will be happy to answer any questions at that time. I got a lot of help here on these boards which was great!

So I will keep my fingers crossed that we won't have a sandstorm or any other problem and that I will get to one of the main things I am looking forward to seeing, Abu Simbel.

When we were there earlier this year, it turned out that all flights were cancelled on the day we were due to go, but we just hired a private minivan, 2 drivers and our own guide for the 2 of us.

Price was incredibly reasonable and it gave us complete freedom over how long we spent there, a very memorable trip.

Just a little advance notice though, like the Valley of the King's you cannot take photos inside the structures there, only from the outside. ... but of course your guide will be able to obtain the 'official' photo pack for you at a low price :)

Also, your guide will not be able to 'guide' inside either, so expect to spend a little while outside while they explain what you are going to see once you go in on your own...

When we were there earlier this year, it turned out that all flights were cancelled on the day we were due to go, but we just hired a private minivan, 2 drivers and our own guide for the 2 of us.

Price was incredibly reasonable and it gave us complete freedom over how long we spent there, a very memorable trip.

Just a little advance notice though, like the Valley of the King's you cannot take photos inside the structures there, only from the outside. ... but of course your guide will be able to obtain the 'official' photo pack for you at a low price :)

Also, your guide will not be able to 'guide' inside either, so expect to spend a little while outside while they explain what you are going to see once you go in on your own...

That is what I am afraid of....it being cancelled for some reason. I don't know if my husband would go for hiring a private guide to drive there unless there were more than the 2 of us. Where did you find the private guide Mark...from the ship`s staff recommendation or online. I am sure it would mean me missing out on seeing Abu Simbel. But I am not thinking that will happen....thinking positive....and I will not let it ruin my trip if I don't get there. Hey I am still visiting my #1 bucket list item that I have been fascinated with for many, many years!

That is what I am afraid of....it being cancelled for some reason. I don't know if my husband would go for hiring a private guide to drive there unless there were more than the 2 of us. Where did you find the private guide Mark...from the ship`s staff recommendation or online. I am sure it would mean me missing out on seeing Abu Simbel.

Firstly, yes, it is unlikely, but my point in posting was to make it clear that it is both easy, and frankly cheap, to hire guides transport etc. in Egypt.

In our case, our TA has a local counterpart in Egypt and they sorted it all out at short notice with our ship.

We also added an unscheduled trip to the museum in Luxor on a different day which we arranged via our onboard guide with only a couple of hours notice.

There are a lot of local people very happy to get the business from the few tourists that are traveling these days and nothing is too much trouble.

I have just started researching an Egypt trip for November 2018. We will be making a stop to see Egypt on the way to Israel for a package tour there with our church. After we flew to China for just a week with another group tour a few years ago, we cannot do that again with Israel - too much time to get there for such a short stay. And, we may cruise to Europe then do a shorter flight to Egypt rather than fly from the US.

Anyway, I like the idea of dahabiya boats if we do a Nile cruise. I remember driving along the Mosel in Germany and thinking about how happy I was to be driving rather than on one of the river cruise boats. We were able to stay as long as we wanted in each area and saw things the cruisers didn’t see. So, I have contacted one company - Osiris Tours (so far) asking about driving along the Nile rather than cruising vs cruising in a dahabiya boat. Since this may be our only trip to Egypt I want to see the major sites.

So, I have contacted one company - Osiris Tours (so far) asking about driving along the Nile rather than cruising vs cruising in a dahabiya boat. Since this may be our only trip to Egypt I want to see the major sites.

It will be interesting to see what they say...

Pretty much everything you are likely to want to see is relatively close to the water as you would expect given the nature of the terrain and the history.

The roads in Egypt are not terrible, but progress can be slow at times, especially when passing through towns.

We took a Nile cruise about 18 years ago and went with Sonesta. It was wonderful...Luxor to Aswan, with a few days in Cairo beforehand. Egypt (despite its periodic issues) is a wonderful country and welcomes tourists. Enjoy!

Firstly, yes, it is unlikely, but my point in posting was to make it clear that it is both easy, and frankly cheap, to hire guides transport etc. in Egypt.

In our case, our TA has a local counterpart in Egypt and they sorted it all out at short notice with our ship.

We also added an unscheduled trip to the museum in Luxor on a different day which we arranged via our onboard guide with only a couple of hours notice.

There are a lot of local people very happy to get the business from the few tourists that are traveling these days and nothing is too much trouble.

Thanks so much for that info Mark_T. I would prefer to hire locally as like you and others have stated, they are happy to get the business. I will keep that in mind and we might have to see what else can be offered if the flights to Abu Simbel are cancelled. I appreciate that idea.

It will be interesting to see what they say...

Pretty much everything you are likely to want to see is relatively close to the water as you would expect given the nature of the terrain and the history.

The roads in Egypt are not terrible, but progress can be slow at times, especially when passing through towns.

I’ve talked with 2 different tour agencies and both highly recommended taking the cruise over driving. They said you can see some of the sites better from the water. When the locals that are getting the money are in agreement with taking the cruise rather than driving I am going to listen to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I appreciate all the people who have responded with their own experiences or their current thoughts and planning. This an itinerary I am considering and would welcome any comments:

Cairo & Sonesta Amirat Dahabiya Cruise Trip

Day 1: Arrival Cairo - Welcome to land of the Pharaoh’s

• Welcome to Cairo, Egypt (Around The Clock)
  • Your tour manager will meet and assist you at Cairo International Airport (Arrival procedures) and then he will escort you to the hotel by exclusive air-conditioned deluxe vehicle. At hotel the tour manager will assist with a smooth check-in and review your holiday itinerary with you to establish and confirm pick-up times for each tour.
  • Overnight in Cairo.
  • Welcome Drink

Day 2: Pyramids Tour

• After breakfast at your hotel in Cairo and then meet your personal guide who will accompany you to Giza Plateau to visit the Great Pyramids of Cheops, Chefren and Mykerinus - Famous Sphinx and Valley temple facing the great statue.
  • Additional visit to the Solar Boat infront of Cheops Pyramid (extra ticket on spot)
  • Lunch included during the tour and then proceed to Sakkara area to visit Sakkara Complex and first pyramid ever built (Djoser Pyramid). Later, you will be transferred back to your hotel.
  • Meals: Breakfast, Lunch

Day 3: Cairo Sightseeing Tours

• Start your day visiting the Egyptian Museum, where you will admire the splendid collection of Tutankhamun alongside many other fascinating artifacts. Transfer to visit Salah El Din Citadel which was constructed by Salah El Din in 1183 AD to defend Cairo from the armies of Crusaders.
  • After that visit Mohamed Ali Alabaster Mosque which was designed by the architect Yousif Boushnaq, a Turkish man who came specially from Istanbuland to build this great mosque for Mohamed Ali, the ruler of Egypt (1805-1849) who ruled Over 45 years.
  • Lunch will be served in a local restaurant.
  • Then proceed to explore Khan El Khalili Bazaar, Cairo’s old bazaar. Then we move on to Coptic Cairo to visit the Hanging Church and Ben Ezra Synagogue.
  • Back to your hotel and overnight in Cairo.
  • Meals: Breakfast, Lunch

Day 4: Fly from Cairo to Luxor - Embark Luxury Dahabia for 7 Nights

• Check out from hotel in the morning then transfer to Cairo Airport for a flight with EGYPTAIR to Luxor where you will be met and assisted, then taken by an air-conditioned vehicle to board your Egypt Nile Dahabia to check in.
  • Embarkation in Luxor for a relaxing week sailing the Nile on a Luxuriously appointed Dahabeya.
  • After Lunch, Excursion to visit the magnificent temple complex of Amon-Ra at Karnak, with its vast hypostyle hall of 137 columns, followed by the imposing 28th Dynasty Luxor Temple.
  • Overnight moored on the Nile Banks of Luxor.
  • Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Day 5: Nile Dahabia Sightseeing

• You will visit the West Bank for visits to the burial places of Pharaohs the Valley of the Kings - where Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamen in 1922. Continue to the adjacent Valley of the Queens, the temple of Medinet Habu and the Colossi of Memnon
  • Sail on the way to Esna (noon time); Overnight near by Esna

Day 6: Nile Dahabia Sightseeing

• Today will be a leisurely day; After Breakfast. Commence sailing.
  • Overnight moored beside a Nile Island

Day 7: Nile Dahabia Sightseeing

• This morning you will sail to Edfu, Visit the wonderfully preserved Temple of Edfu.

Day 8: Nile Dahabia Sightseeing

• Today you will sail on the way to Kom Ombo.

Day 9: Nile Dahabia Sightseeing

• Visit kom Ombo to see the ptolemaic temple dedicated to the crocodile god sobek and the falcon-headed Horus, god of the morning sun.
  • A leisurely day sailing to Aswan and moored nearby Aswan bridge

Day 10: Nile Dahabia Sightseeing

• Today you will visit the Aswan High Dam (completed in 1971); the Old Dam (completed in 1902).
  • You will also visit the Philae Temple, dedicated to the goddess Isis, a structure rescued from the rising waters of Lake Nasser at the time of the High Dam's construction

Day 11: Disembarkation - Fly back to Cairo

• Breakfast aboard the Dehabeya
  • Disembarkation
  • Meals: Breakfast

Day 12: Cairo - Fly Back Home

• Breakfast at hotel, then transfer to Cairo Airport for final departure.
  • Meals: Breakfast

A few thoughts for you...

First and foremost, you do not appear to have Abu Simbel on your list, it would seem a great shame to get all the way to Aswan then not go the extra distance to see it...

In Cairo there is the question of exactly which museum they will be taking you too...

The new 'Grand Egyptian Museum' in Cairo has had many opening dates and has missed them all... It is currently scheduled to open 'early' in 2018 and they have begun moving exhibits there from the old museum, but I'd still rank the chances of it actually opening during 2018 as 50/50 and even if it does it is likely to be only partially open.

Net result is that you shouldn't put too much emphasis on the museum visit being a focal point of your tour as what you see is likely to be incomplete and only part of the exhibits on show whichever museum it actually turns out to be by the time you get there...

For the other places you visit in Cairo, do carry local currency as there will be charges to use your camera in most of them and additional charged options like the Solar Boat (which also has a separate charge for cameras). Don't let those costs irritate you, they are small in the grand scheme of things.

When you get to the Valley of the King's, you will not be allowed to use your camera at all. They do however sell a cheap CD with a lot of professional photos on it which is a worthy purchase.

Your ticket will get you entry to 3 of the tombs that are open on the day, you should ask your guide for advice on which of the tombs available on the day you are there are worth seeing/suitable for your level of fitness/claustrophobia :) There will also be one or two 'premium' tombs available for an additional fee per tomb, typically in the $150-200 range. Again, if you are interested, ask your guide if there is actually anything truly spectacular to see in these tombs and ask about the nature of the access.

When you get to Edfu, you will have to decide how you feel about the transport method used there from the water to the temple.

The horse drawn carriages have a monopoly on the transport, buses/taxis are not allowed.

Some of the horses are very well cared for many others, not so much.

We made sure our guide knew that we were horse owners and made a point of insisting that he found a good carriage with a well cared for animal. The trip is worth doing but you do have to remember that even with the well cared for horses, they are working animals not pets so don't expect to see what we may be used to seeing at home.

When you get to Aswan and visit Philae temple, there will be a final opportunity to purchase locally crafted goods, mainly necklaces, bracelets woven hats etc. The seller will be in the small boat that takes you to and from the island and he will 'open shop' while you travel. These to us at least seemed to be the most genuinely local of the crafts we saw while traveling around.

I'm sure there is more I can add, but I'll pause there, feel free to ask any questions you want.

I appreciate all the people who have responded with their own experiences or their current thoughts and planning. This an itinerary I am considering and would welcome any comments:

This looks pretty nice. We went in 2012 with A&K and saw all of this. Well worth it.

One thing I don't see on your list is whether you see anything in Esna. There is a temple of Khnum there and we made a short stop. Not earth-shattering if you miss it but it's weird that you stop there and don't go.

We stopped at the Memphis museum on the way to Saqqara, to see the colossal statue of Ramses II. But we had more time because we did not do Giza and Saqqara on the same day.

I agree that it is a terrible shame to go all the way to Aswan and miss Abu Simbel. A potential solution would be to try to arrange this after the cruise. Fly to Abu Simbel on the morning you disembark, tour a few hours, then fly back to Cairo on the same day to meet back up with your group.

It is very doable in terms of total time needed (not sure how the airline schedules will work, but you can check). I know it can be done because we did that in reverse for our tour - early morning flight from Cairo to Abu Simbel, tour, then flight from Abu Simbel to Aswan...and we were on board our boat by noon.

A few thoughts for you...

First and foremost, you do not appear to have Abu Simbel on your list, it would seem a great shame to get all the way to Aswan then not go the extra distance to see it...

(lots of great stuff omitted)

I'm sure there is more I can add, but I'll pause there, feel free to ask any questions you want.

Thanks, this is great stuff. My sense is that my tour company can be very flexible, particularly near the start and end. I can add a trip to Abu Simbel, either by plane or coach, from Aswan so I'm pretty sure I can do that and just delay my return to Cairo by a day. If so I may consider that.

I am pretty relaxed about what I will see. Once I have seen the big items and the major temples, the lesser sites fall more into the nice to see, but not critical if not,, category. One of the things that attracted me to the dahabiya was the relaxed nature of the cruise.

Were your transfers to and from Cairo flying or night train? We are contemplating doing one of them by night train, pending our first night train experience in a couple on months from Krakow to Budapest.

I may have some questions as I digest your other comments and I get closer to booking. Thanks again for your input.