Toddler Question

dippydoo

i will be traveling with my toddler in November. What do parents do with potty training? Are they allowed to go in pool with swim diapers? What do you do at bedtime I was thinking of bringing extra pads for bed time so he won't wet bedding. Love to know what expierenced parents do in these situations.

Thank you

i will be traveling with my toddler in November. What do parents do with potty training? Are they allowed to go in pool with swim diapers? What do you do at bedtime I was thinking of bringing extra pads for bed time so he won't wet bedding. Love to know what expierenced parents do in these situations.

Thank you

No one what to see kids in diapers in any pool-swim diapers or not. :mad:

You might want to also ask on the Family Cruises board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

where you will find that potty training is a very contentious topic.

Lots of responses will be to postpone the cruise until fully dry.

Lots of other responses will be to abandon potty training and put him/her back in diapers for the duration of the cruise.

(Presumably you have no plans to do either of those)

And you have been warned: be prepared for massive angry blowback for even suggesting letting your child in the pool with swim diapers. A huge health code violation; if caught the pool could be shutdown for cleaning for more than a day even without evidence of an accident.

Edited by fishywood

Thank you

Morning,

it's been a while since my kids were toddlers so hopefully someone with more recent experience will jump in here with some answers. Firstly your child will not be in the pool because they are not completely potty trained. Diapers are not allowed. From memory being in a strange environment can be stressful for a child learning how to potty train so if you haven't started it before your holiday, you may want to wait till you get back. Do you have a maternal health care nurse you could ask about this. I have been on a ship once with one of my older kids who still wore pull ups at night, and he still managed to wet the bed. Our cabin steward was wonderful. We explained the situation when we got on board and he put an extra protective sheet under the bedding. When my child wet the bed, we stripped it and put the sheet in the linen trolley and let the steward know, so that he could change the bedding. The mattress wasn't affected. Just have a chat to the steward and I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

Trish

No swim diapers allowed in pool.

We didn’t bring our younger child on cruises until he was potty trained. Our oldest has 2 more cruises than the youngest under his belt because of this. We did this because it would have been too difficult to keep the baby from wanting to be in the pool and the age for kids club...

However that was for our convenience.

If you want to be on a cruise while your child is not potty trained that is your choice but you will get lots of dirty looks from people if you go to the pool in diapers and if a staff member gets complaints you will be asked to leave the pool because it’s against the rules to be in diapers in the pool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jennybenny

Thank you

I'm sorry that you might experience some negative feedback from other posters. I have not taken my kiddos on a cruise but have cruised quite a bit myself. I think that you just need to do what makes you comfortable while abiding by the rules (pools and what not). It a lot like just having them out and about the whole time or visiting a hotel for a week. Make sure to visit the bathrooms a lot. You might need to talk to your little one about the sound that the toilet is going to make since its different that the sound they would normally hear. When I'm out in public with my little guy I bring wet wipes to wipe his hands before he covers his ears while I flush the toilet so he doesn't get upset about the noise. Then we wash his and my hands really well at the sink. One of the diaper brands does make an underwear for night time that has disposable inserts. (Good Nite True Fit).They look like underwear but have a waterproof barrier with an insert that you can change. They might work for a kiddo that is used to real underwear at bedtime most of the time

Enjoy your memorable vacation with your little one!

Princess does not allow swim diapers in the pool. Period. It's cruise line policy and there is no way around it. If one takes a child into the pool in swim diapers be prepared for a revolt by other passengers when the entire pool is closed for a day or two.

It's good that you came here to ask as it is something that needs to be considered and addressed. Best of luck with your cruise.

Other cruise lines that cater more to children have 'splash' kiddie pools so that there is no health hazard with toddlers.

I would imagine that swim diapers are strictly not allowed.

Please do not risk shutting down an entire pool, with hundreds of other guests there, who may be there specifically to enjoy the pool.

The nice 'freshwater' pools that Princess is known for.

Other cruise lines that cater more to children have 'splash' kiddie pools so that there is no health hazard with toddlers.

I would imagine that swim diapers are strictly not allowed.

Please do not risk shutting down an entire pool, with hundreds of other guests there, who may be there specifically to enjoy the pool.

The nice 'freshwater' pools that Princess is known for.

Be aware that not all "kiddie splash pools" allow swim diapers. The only ships that allow swim diapers, in specially designed "baby only recreational water facilities" (splash areas), are the Disney ships, and the RCI Freedom, Oasis, and Quantum class ships.

Some of your questions are answered by Princess in FAQs: Before You Leave under Age Requirements/Traveling with Children:

Infants/Young Children and Swimming Pools

Parents/guardians are reminded to bring their children dressed in appropriate attire with towel and sunscreen. Youth staff will not conduct children's activities in the adult or splash pools. Parents must supervise their children at all times when using the pools. Infants and young children in diapers and/or swim diapers, and children who are not toilet trained are NOT permitted in any of the pools or spas due to public health concerns.

Our policy is strictly observed onboard and is intended for the public health safety of all guests.

ADDITIONAL REMINDERS

Children under 3 are not permitted in the Youth Center unless accompanied by a parent at all times. Youth counselors cannot administer medication, bottle-feed, change diapers, or provide meal service. Private in-cabin babysitting is not available on any Princess ship. All children participating in the Youth Program must be potty-trained. Children who are not potty-trained are not permitted in hot tub or pool facilities.

Taken both our toddlers many times. Generally a good experience. As many said, no swimming with diapers but still lots to do with them. You can accompany them to kids club but you must stay there, however they can play on all the toys. Also our cruise provided us with a little activity pack when we boarded which was a nice, unexpected touch. Ours was still in pack n plays last time which we wedged into the closet area. It made it kind of tight to get into bathroom but allowed for a darker quieter area for nap time. What kind of room do you have? If you are traveling with friends/fam and have a room with balcony it helps a lot. On my website there are links to magnetic hooks from Amazon which help tremendously since all cabin walls are magnetic. We brought an extra dark sheet to drape around the pack and play to reduce light even further. Other things worth bringing: bungy cables for attaching multiple pieces of luggage to one large roller as well as car seats, strollers etc, ziplocks/small Tupperware to put crackers or other food in for snacks, inflatable balls or other toys since they are compact and lightweight, and we always tip the cabin steward the first day $20 or so for both the diapers they will have to pick up from the trash as well as let them know when nap times are typically. Enjoy! It's a different cruise than without kids but your kiddo will probably have some great memories...my 4 year old is more of a cruise hound than I am!

Hello! I'll be bringing my 15 month old triplets on a Princess cruise in January. We won't be letting them swim per Princess policy but I have been advised we will be allowed in the youth center with the babies so they can play (as long as we are with them)

We might get some nasty looks from other passengers, but they don't know that I need a vacation and I'm entitled to one just as much as they are.

We will not be taking them into the main dining room as I can tell right away they (the kiddos) won't tolerate 2 hour dinners (which is my favorite thing about cruising). It is the Horizon Court for us every night, and its probably best that way for everyone.

The poster above me added tons of good ideas and hope they don't mind if I steal a few of them myself!

Hello! I'll be bringing my 15 month old triplets on a Princess cruise in January. We won't be letting them swim per Princess policy but I have been advised we will be allowed in the youth center with the babies so they can play (as long as we are with them)

We might get some nasty looks from other passengers, but they don't know that I need a vacation and I'm entitled to one just as much as they are.

We will not be taking them into the main dining room as I can tell right away they (the kiddos) won't tolerate 2 hour dinners (which is my favorite thing about cruising). It is the Horizon Court for us every night, and its probably best that way for everyone.

The poster above me added tons of good ideas and hope they don't mind if I steal a few of them myself!

Curious. How are you fitting 5 in a cabin? Family suite? More power to you. I could barely handle one at a time. Thank you for being so considerate to all the other passengers. I hope they return the same.

My daughter/husband have a portable bath tub. It worked well when the little one was younger. I heard blow up swimming pools work similarly. I taught my grandson how to use a straw. Weaned from a nursing to a cup without any problems.

Have a fantastic cruise.

Thank you

NO toddlers in the pool! Period! No one needs to see "Baby Ruth" candy bars floating around the pool, thank you.

No diapers in ANY pool. Some ships have "splash pads" for the diapered set....Don't think Princess is one of them. It's not so much "wetting" as "pooping"...that can shut a pool down for 2 days or so.... Even swim diapers don't filter out the bacteria. That's why diapers and non-potty-trained people aren't allowed in pools.

At bedtime..bring whatever you use at home. They will change the sheets daily, if you ask and if it's needed.

No diapers in ANY pool. Some ships have "splash pads" for the diapered set....Don't think Princess is one of them. It's not so much "wetting" as "pooping"...that can shut a pool down for 2 days or so.... Even swim diapers don't filter out the bacteria. That's why diapers and non-potty-trained people aren't allowed in pools.

At bedtime..bring whatever you use at home. They will change the sheets daily, if you ask and if it's needed.

What make the "splash pad" area any better to contain the leakage?

NOTHING.

Keep the kids out of the pools period.

Bring a blow up pool for the balcony & remove it each day.

What make the "splash pad" area any better to contain the leakage?

NOTHING.

Keep the kids out of the pools period.

Bring a blow up pool for the balcony & remove it each day.

Those splash areas that are designed for swim diapers, on the ships I mentioned above, are constructed and operated to USPH/CDC requirements. These include a completely separate water system from any other pool, slide, or hot tub, a higher turn-over rate (how often the water is filtered and sent through the chlorination system), and most importantly a UV sterilizer that all of the splash area water must pass through. Operationally, there must be a crew member assigned to monitor the splash area, and shut it down immediately when a fecal accident occurs. Also, per existing regulations, the splash area should not have any standing water where a contamination can linger.

Thank you for everyone's comments. I think the biggest adjustment will be the sound of the toilet flushing. I think we will be fine and enjoy our vacation together.

OP -- our DD enjoyed her first cruise at age 2.5 on Sitmar 40+ years ago. We had a GRAND time!

She was 90% "trained" for daytime, but I was concerned about a set-back because of the strange environment. I was especially worried that she'd be scared by the flush sound. So, I took lots of diapers.

On the 10 day cruise, there was ONE wet daytime diaper (Dad didn't get her to the cabin in time). DD thought the FLUSH was exciting, very interesting & loved using it!

You never know how small kids will react to new experiences.

ENJOY!

Those splash areas that are designed for swim diapers, on the ships I mentioned above, are constructed and operated to USPH/CDC requirements. These include a completely separate water system from any other pool, slide, or hot tub, a higher turn-over rate (how often the water is filtered and sent through the chlorination system), and most importantly a UV sterilizer that all of the splash area water must pass through. Operationally, there must be a crew member assigned to monitor the splash area, and shut it down immediately when a fecal accident occurs. Also, per existing regulations, the splash area should not have any standing water where a contamination can linger.

I'm probably thinking of something different when "splash area" is mentioned.

The area I'm think of is the overflow from the pools that empties directly back into the pool. That offers no protection for an accident.

I'm probably thinking of something different when "splash area" is mentioned.

The area I'm think of is the overflow from the pools that empties directly back into the pool. That offers no protection for an accident.

The splash areas (both those that allow diapers, and those that don't) are basically wet decks that have intermittent water fountains spraying water a few feet in the air.

Thank you

As a grandparent of three under six toddlers that will be on their first cruise in three weeks, I can offer you some suggestions. You don't mention the age or sex but female toddlers generally are slightly ahead of males when finally to begin using the toilet.

There are a number of books on potty training which you should probably read.

As others have mentioned do not allow any untrained toddlers into a pool.

You have a little time so remove the diaper ( a rainy day is a good time) and try to get your toddler to use the toilet and give some sort of reward such as a lollypop.

On the cruise carry wipes and diapers just in case, overnight diapers, and the toddler toilet seat insert.

Have them use the toilet before leaving the cabin, carry the toilet seat insert and wipes with you in case they need to use any of the public restrooms around the ship.

We will show ours the toilet flushing as soon as we board the ship. I know my grandsons are going to be amused.

Good luck

Howard