Coffee pots on Harmony

No coffee pots on any of their ships, at least not the ships I been on, besides, you don't want them....they are not washed and descaled (process that removes calcium deposits or scale that can build up inside a coffee maker over time) and they could very well cause bacteria...perhaps a reason why they don't have coffee pots?

Very little chance of scale on board. The water is either distilled or reverse osmosis, so virtually no minerals.

Also, the coffee pot boils the water, so clean water, nothing else in the water, and the heat, means little chance of bacteria.

Of if you are that worried, do not drink ANYTHING onboard. :)

I've never been in a suite, so.... I did talk to the head waiter in the dining room on the Radiance of the Seas and he assured me that all the coffee on board is fresh brewed from beans. We go down first thing and get 2 cups of free included coffee at the coffee shop (it's at the edge of the shop) and bring it up to our balcony. We had a coffee card and sometimes had lattes instead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our 9/16 sailing they did offer coffee pots anyone could rent for the sailing. They are the single-use type, made by Illy. You purchase a package of capsules. 14 capsules for $39, 21 for $56, 28 for $69, or 35 for $79.

Like Bob said, Junior Suites and up are given them in the rooms. But anyone can rent them fro Cafe Promenade on Deck 5.

Very little chance of scale on board. The water is either distilled or reverse osmosis, so virtually no minerals.

Also, the coffee pot boils the water, so clean water, nothing else in the water, and the heat, means little chance of bacteria.

Of if you are that worried, do not drink ANYTHING onboard. :)

Not that it is a significant area of concern for me, but a few corrections. The chlorine and calcium carbonate in the ship's water does form scale, even at room temperature, and much of the water can be municipal water loaded at the turn around port. Most coffee makers do not boil the water, they use the creation of localized steam bubbles to push the water from the reservoir to the grounds, so there is going to be carry over of whatever minerals are in the water into the coffee, unlike a distillation process. And the coffee makers provided by the line are routinely taken out of service for inspection and cleaning, which is why they are allowed and not yours from home.

Not that it is a significant area of concern for me, but a few corrections. The chlorine and calcium carbonate in the ship's water does form scale, even at room temperature, and much of the water can be municipal water loaded at the turn around port. Most coffee makers do not boil the water, they use the creation of localized steam bubbles to push the water from the reservoir to the grounds, so there is going to be carry over of whatever minerals are in the water into the coffee, unlike a distillation process. And the coffee makers provided by the line are routinely taken out of service for inspection and cleaning, which is why they are allowed and not yours from home.

Thanks.

Is the calcium carbonate added to the water? To reduce pipe damage from ultra pure water.

From my chemistry, I am not sure how chlorine would cause scale.

As for municipal water, that would depend on the source. In the Caribbean, most water is rain water, so fairly soft. Other ports, it may be harder.

Even so, I cannot imagine that much of a scale issue. My comparison is my home, with a well, with VERY hard water. If I use straight tap water, I kill coffee machines in about 2 years from scale, even with cleaning. So I have an under sink RO unit, and the coffee makers last forever now. :)

Thanks.

Is the calcium carbonate added to the water? To reduce pipe damage from ultra pure water.

From my chemistry, I am not sure how chlorine would cause scale.

As for municipal water, that would depend on the source. In the Caribbean, most water is rain water, so fairly soft. Other ports, it may be harder.

Even so, I cannot imagine that much of a scale issue. My comparison is my home, with a well, with VERY hard water. If I use straight tap water, I kill coffee machines in about 2 years from scale, even with cleaning. So I have an under sink RO unit, and the coffee makers last forever now. :)

Calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in Tums), is added to alter the pH of the distilled water to bring the water into the narrow pH range where chlorine works best as a sanitizing agent (along with sulfuric acid injection as needed).

The chlorine reacts with any minerals in the water to form scale, though I'm not a chemist, so I can't say why.

Very little water is bunkered in the islands, as the water must be tested, at the hydrant on the pier, every month to meet USPH/EPA requirements for clean water. Most water bunkered is from the home port.

You are correct, that the appliances on a ship are subject to something similar to a soft water environment, but scale still does form.