Corkage Fee - Corkscrew

brywood

Agree...they call it a "corkage" fee...but that is such a old term since many wines don't even have a cork now. (Screw top). And not just the cheap ones, (Think Screw Kappa Napa) and most NZ wines have the screw cap.

The fee is for the service performed, the ice bucket..etc.

We were on Vision in July and just got off Oasis last Sunday. I open the wine in our cabin, then simply place the cork back in and carry the bottle to the MDR. The waiters eagerly brought us glasses, poured the wine, and put our white wines in a wine bucket to keep it chilled. On Oasis, one night, my wife had jammed the cork in too far and it got stuck and broke off while we were trying to open it. A random waiter saw the dilemma (our waiters were busy) and stopped, pulled out his corkscrew, and pulled the cork for us, no corkage fees. In fact, we have NEVER been charged a corkage fee. We do try to bring screw top wines though.

Also, we had 3 bottles in our stateroom, two from Crown and Anchor, and one from our TA. All 3 had a sticker on them saying they were not to be charged a corkage fee. But we had 4 more that we brought on board and no charge. My advice, open the wine before you take it. Be prepared for the corkage fee. If you are charged, bring only glasses as advised. My guess is most people aren't being charged this ridiculous fee. Oh yeah... not charging the fee is also remembered by me in my tips.

Again, a corkage fee has absolutely nothing to do with who actually removes the cork. Google it if you don't believe me or the many others who have pointed this out. I can see where servers can either be confused by the recent change or ignor it in hopes of a larger tip (or fear of a smaller one).

I bring my double jointed cork screw (waiter's key) with the little knife in my carry on all the time with no problem. Only time I have to be sure it is out of my carry on is when I fly. TSA has a supply of some of my favorites when I forgot. :(

I do the same, I carry one almost all the time , there are a few BYOB places in DFW, and also have had more then a couple taken from TSA over the years

No, they charge even without those.

It is a fee to offset the loss of income from you bringing your own wine.

I was talking about the label of "corkage fee" for opening and serving

one of your wines. :cool: If it does not have a cork..should they call it "screw

cap fee"??? :');p

Yes, I know about why there is a fee. 12 years in the wine business...best career I ever had. :D

I do the same, I carry one almost all the time , there are a few BYOB places in DFW, and also have had more then a couple taken from TSA over the years

I usually lost mine when our wine distributor team was coming back from

California. I was given a few nice ones from several wineries and would

sometimes forget I had put them in my carry on or purse. :(

I was talking about the label of "corkage fee" for opening and serving

one of your wines. :cool: If it does not have a cork..should they call it "screw

cap fee"??? :');p

Yes, I know about why there is a fee. 12 years in the wine business...best career I ever had. :D

How about "Additional gouging fee"?

Cork??? All my wine bottles came with screw-caps!!! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are some you just plop on the table and has a little spigot on the bottom like a beer keg!! Also the small boxed wines that look like the little box juices the kids drink. ( No straws included on those ;p) Juice for big kids. :D

To avoid the MDR corkage fee, is it allowed to take your corkscrew with you and open the bottle of wine yourself while dining?

Or another option, open the bottle of wine in the room then cork it while carrying it to dinner?

Just pay the corkage for goodness sakes

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder how many cork screws a ship keeps for guests? I always pack my own unless I have the drink package

They seem limitless. We normally get 3 bottles of wine as the D+ gift and each one always comes with a corkscrew. On every cruise.