Maya Chan review - any Questions?

tmn1016

15 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

Here are last instructions we got from May:

After you disembark, walk or take the trolley to the terminal building, entering through the arch.  Follow the exit signs , some have wooden doors that you just open. The port has been remodeling without any consideration for thousands of passengers that come everyday. They also want to keep guests inside the complex and may close off an exit and not tell anyone.Exit through the security gate.  There is only one.  Walk down the center promenade towards the genuenly authentic fake Mayan Pyramid straight ahead.  Look to the right. Our representative will be in uniform and standing next to a Maya Chan Beach sign. They will arrange transportation for you.

Basically, walk out the back of the port where the cabs and tour buses park.  Walk towards that fake ruin and and Maya Chan rep will be waiting a little ways down on the right side.  They met us in front of a little store where we picked up some water.

But wait for SPECIFIC instructions from Mark because some of the detials might have changed, like the construction part.  But the meeting place has been for the same for us that past two trips.

Thank you! He just emailed me back with the instructions. I do have one more question. Do you have to get off and go right away? Can you go a little later like 10-10:30?

They are usually there waiting for their guests about half hour after you dock. I guess you can take a cab out there at your expense which is about a 20 minute ride.  But if you aren't planning on going with them then I would let them know, as a courtesy, so they aren't waiting for you.  They have a list they check you off of.

6 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

They are usually there waiting for their guests about half hour after you dock. I guess you can take a cab out there at your expense which is about a 20 minute ride.  But if you aren't planning on going with them then I would let them know, as a courtesy, so they aren't waiting for you.  They have a list they check you off of.

i am definitly planning on going with them just wanted to know if you had to go right away or if they were there for a bit?

13 hours ago, Smong said:

i am definitly planning on going with them just wanted to know if you had to go right away or if they were there for a bit?

Our meeting instructions have come with a “meeting window” for each ship.

If you have a particular time in mind i would email and ask for guidance. If there is a later ship docking there may still be a representative waiting. The representative meeting place is close to taxi dispatch so you could get your own transport if there is no one left but i would email and check suggestions.

Edited by c-leg5

8 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Our meeting instructions have come with a “meeting window” for each ship.

If you have a particular time in mind i would email and ask for guidance. If there is a later ship docking there may still be a representative waiting. The representative meeting place is close to taxi dispatch so you could get your own transport if there is no one left but i would email and check suggestions.

I actually spoke to mark and he said if we wanted to go later to just grab a yellow taxi and they would pay the fair!

25 minutes ago, Smong said:

I actually spoke to mark and he said if we wanted to go later to just grab a yellow taxi and they would pay the fair!

Yes that is their normal practice. Enjoy your day!

as stated above taxi dispatch is outside the port, near Maya Chan meeting point, - taxis inside tge port are officially only for dropping off.

Edited by c-leg5

No need to tip the drivers , saw staff give drivers tips both ways.

Was at Maya Chan first week in Oct... first thing .. the red sea weed made the water look "red' for the first 2~3 feet. It was a turn off for my wife, but didn't stop many of the others from enjoying the ocean. Had men removing sea weed almost constantly. 

Other than that... you could not ask for more if a resort... view was gorgeous, had a lil area for our selves (4 adults) bed, lounge and chairs, 2 lil tables, and a hammock... shade that we wanted... Service was insane! came by w snacks early and took our drink order and never wanted again! Would come w/ drinks... water (bottled). So very relaxing

The trip there was a Great Adventure ride... driver did his best to avoid craters...    Food was soooooo delicious, (I'm not a Mexican food fan) but went back for second plate... returning guests got a "special sign' welcoming them back. Nice touch.

Since I was the "cruise director' for our group, was a lil worried bout this stop... but everyone raved about it the Whole time!

I would definitely return without hesitation... just wish we would get past the 1st 3' of water and join the groups that were being served drinks in the water while sitting on the floating chairs!

TIP: when going to pick up area... you need to go across a parking lot area... then you will be walking on a split two sidewalk w/ trees, pick up area is Before the Pyramid, at a lil convenience store.... sign is small... and they'll have your name.

Wife was worried bout getting back so we left 'paradise'  a hour too early. shopping at port is usual and not worth leaving early to get there!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2017 at 7:16 PM, Rae Chull said:

So you would chose to do this again? My husband and I are booked for a day in December. I’ve been thinking about buying a Nikon underwater camera to have that day but it sounds like that would be of no benefit. What time would you recommend getting off the ship? I can’t think of anything to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are looking forward to doing Maya Chan again in Jan. but not sure if it's open on Sunday. We have submiited reservation so I'll let folks know. The food is absolutely fantastic and authentic Mexican food.

Yes the beach has grass but we don't go for the swimming the mirkyness could be waves swirling up the sand, we go for relaxation and read

Best bang for your buck!

For those interested there are some great reviews on Tripadviser, CC sister site for land vacations also 5 out 5 5 star rating.

Here is the link: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g499450-d3844947-Reviews-Maya_Chan_Beach-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

I just contacted MC about a reservation in Late January.  I just heard back that they are fully booked that day, but have a new pool deck option.  Same price.  Has anyone else been given this type of reservation?  For those of you that have been there, does this sound like a good option?

"All beach venues have been reserved for the day you requested.  We do, however have an option for our adult guests who would still like to join us at Maya Chan.  

We have recently added a freshwater pool in a secluded area of our resort.  I have attached a photo of both the area and the view from the pool.  Like all the venues at MCB, we are able to configure the seating to accommodate the size of your group.  If you received this email, you have been invited to spend your day with us in this quiet haven."

On 12/26/2018 at 1:45 PM, minn55441 said:

I just contacted MC about a reservation in Late January.  I just heard back that they are fully booked that day, but have a new pool deck option.  Same price.  Has anyone else been given this type of reservation?  For those of you that have been there, does this sound like a good option?

Hi,

I got the same response from them but haven’t found any info about their pool area. Did you decide to book? We’re concerned it might be too secluded and it definitely doesn’t look the same experience as being on the beach. 

Thanks so much

Tracey

It's a small pool kind of hidden off the beach. They just built it. It has some chairs around it that they apparently are going to offer as anothet option?! 

It's nice and in line with the low key Maya Chan vibe. 

On 12/26/2018 at 12:45 PM, minn55441 said:

"All beach venues have been reserved for the day you requested.  We do, however have an option for our adult guests who would still like to join us at Maya Chan.  

We have recently added a freshwater pool in a secluded area of our resort.  I have attached a photo of both the area and the view from the pool.  Like all the venues at MCB, we are able to configure the seating to accommodate the size of your group.  If you received this email, you have been invited to spend your day with us in this quiet haven."

11 hours ago, sensfan318 said:

Hi,

I got the same response from them but haven’t found any info about their pool area. Did you decide to book? We’re concerned it might be too secluded and it definitely doesn’t look the same experience as being on the beach. 

Thanks so much

Tracey

Given that this is an American-owned company, with a fairly comprehensive website I am surprised the website has not been updated to reflect this added resource - the FAQ still state:

Is there a freshwater pool

Due to the nature of the weather and the fact that we produce our electricity, it would be almost impossible to maintain required cleanliness standards for a pool. For this reason, we offer fresh water showers for our patrons.

If it is not yet operational, I would have expected a “coming shortly” announcement,  or at least an announcement of construction from one of the many repeat guests? Does the photo show it complete- perhaps there are added details on Facebook?

However, I would welcome the option of a pool in Costa Maya, please review if you decide to go and let us know where it is located. Interesting that it is to be adult-only.

The pool is 100% functional and open.  It's not large but it's perfectly nice and has a great deck around it. 

I will post a few pictures later.  It's right in front of the bathrooms at the north side of the property a bit off the beach. 

Edited by BNBR

12 minutes ago, BNBR said:

The pool is 100% functional and open.  It's not large but it's perfectly nice and has a great deck around it. 

Good to know. Still surprised there are no photos. I have just glanced through recent TA reviews and don't see any mention of the pool, or photos there either.

Is the pool open to all guests, or just those with chairs in that area? Are the loungers still the hard wooden type? Where is it located on the resort?

Edited by c-leg5

1 minute ago, c-leg5 said:

Good to know. Still surprised there are no photos. I have just glanced through recent TA reviews and don't see any mention of the pool, or photos there either.

Is the pool open to all guests, or just those with chairs in that area? Are the loungers still the hard wooden type? 

Chairs are all still hard wood but I like them. Some have the full foot section to make it a full lounger. Just ask ahead if you want one. 

The pool is open to all guests.  It's pretty new. A month or so. I have great pictures of it and will post them. Keep in mind it's a fairly small plunge type pool. 

10 minutes ago, ericaleadavis said:

We were just there on Dec 14th and did not see a pool. 😂 But anything they do, it will be amazing. I would book whatever possible to go back. 

We were talking to people that were there that week too and they never mentioned a pool either. 

Whenever we have gone they have always given an introductory talk on arrival explaining what is available and where things are.

5 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

We were talking to people that were there that week too and they never mentioned a pool either. 

Whenever we have gone they have always given an introductory talk on arrival explaining what is available and where things are.

Again. THERE IS A POOL. I say this with absolute certainty. I've literally been in it.... At Maya Chan. Not confusing it with anywhere else. It just opened. It's brand new. If you walk to the north side of the property, turn left and through the large palapa. There is a deck and the pool. It's where the 2nd set of bathrooms is. The other bathrooms are in the bar. 

I don't have great internet at the moment but I will post pictures later today and show you. 

Edited by BNBR

We will be visiting Costa Maya for the first time for us in 2020.  This place sounds awesome and just what we are looking for.  It will just be the wife and I and so far every post I have seen refers to groups of 4 or more.  How do they handle a couple?  Do they have palapas for 2?

11 minutes ago, Bradison said:

We will be visiting Costa Maya for the first time for us in 2020.  This place sounds awesome and just what we are looking for.  It will just be the wife and I and so far every post I have seen refers to groups of 4 or more.  How do they handle a couple?  Do they have palapas for 2?

At least half of the palapas are for 2.  Go for it! You won't regret it. 

Here ya go.  Believe me now?!   Second picture you can see bathroom is on the left and sitting areas on the right. These are the poolside areas I guess. They appear to be working on a pool bar too but not sure if that will come to fruition or not. 

Also, it's not an adults pool. It's 12 and over.  I have quite a few more pictures but the internet is so slow. I may upload more next week. 

The pool is totally open to anyone who wants to use it. I jumped in! Little chilly but it's December. 

20181231-091452-HDR.jpg

20181231-105326-HDR.jpg

20181231-122741.jpg

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, BNBR said:

At least half of the palapas are for 2.  Go for it! You won't regret it. 

We prefer the larger palapas which are normally reserved for groups unless it us a quiet day. The loungers for two often have just an umbrella for shade although they are sea front. If you have special requirements best to discuss in advance.