Blue Kay

pathi

Price variations continue... We were there last week, and Irene charged us $15 per adult ($0 for our 7 year old). The $15 included two drinks, which we would have ordered anyway.

We had an amazing time, so all was good!

Is this charged up front? We always purchase food and/or drink but this arbitrary charging is not very professional. We prefer to run a tab. Don’t want to pay in bits and pieces.

Is this charged up front? We always purchase food and/or drink but this arbitrary charging is not very professional. We prefer to run a tab. Don’t want to pay in bits and pieces.

We were charged $30 (2 adults) up front then ran a tab for food and drinks (after the first two).

Price variations continue... We were there last week, and Irene charged us $15 per adult ($0 for our 7 year old). The $15 included two drinks, which we would have ordered anyway.

We had an amazing time, so all was good!

This is just crazy...even after telling this lady that claimed she was the management, that I was personally from cruise critic and the frustration of having people report back with different pricing can potentially keep people from coming there, they give yet another price.

I agree. I know that both times we have been there they have always let us run a tab and pay at the end with no problems.

We were charged $30 (2 adults) up front then ran a tab for food and drinks (after the first two).

Did it include anything else, other than the 2 drinks pp? Like bikes or snorkel equipment or kayaks or anything at all?

This is just crazy...even after telling this lady that claimed she was the management, that I was personally from cruise critic and the frustration of having people report back with different pricing can potentially keep people from coming there, they give yet another price.

I agree. I know that both times we have been there they have always let us run a tab and pay at the end with no problems.

Did it include anything else, other than the 2 drinks pp? Like bikes or snorkel equipment or kayaks or anything at all?

I honestly don't know. We had our own snorkel gear, so it didn't come up.

I would consider $30 for 4 beers (or even margaritas) at a basic Mexican beach bar excessive. How was the pricing for food and drinks thereafter?

Good info. We went to Tropicante last time and probably will try Blue Kay in February.

We love Tropicante and there’s no admission or charge for chairs, umbrellas or such. We bought drinks and food. For a mixed drink each, 2 soft drinks, salsa and chips, and later more shrimp than the two of us could eat it was $27. Cost us under $10 total for a cab there and back. Loved it.

We love Tropicante and there’s no admission or charge for chairs, umbrellas or such. We bought drinks and food. For a mixed drink each, 2 soft drinks, salsa and chips, and later more shrimp than the two of us could eat it was $27. Cost us under $10 total for a cab there and back. Loved it.

We have two visits in the near future to Costa Maya. We already have a return to Maya Chan booked for one but the other is an afternoon-only visit so are planning just a few hours at the malecon.

Tropicante seems to get good reviews for food, drink and service and may be our back-up plan. Reviews state they have bucket of 6 beers for $15! However I understand the vendors are annoying and the beach is certainly not as nice at that end, if I remember correctly?

It has been a long time since we went to malecon ( Cats Meow Days and just post-hurricane!).

Is it Tropicante that now has bikes for rent? That is another reason we are considering Blu Kay first.

We have two visits in the near future to Costa Maya. We already have a return to Maya Chan booked for one but the other is an afternoon-only visit so are planning just a few hours at the malecon.

Tropicante seems to get good reviews for food, drink and service and may be our back-up plan. Reviews state they have bucket of 6 beers for $15! However I understand the vendors are annoying and the beach is certainly not as nice at that end, if I remember correctly?

It has been a long time since we went to malecon ( Cats Meow Days and just post-hurricane!).

Photos from August:

a87d877a3daa7062acbbcedc67e2a2d6.jpg

a6a2aea202cd979125c33330904dbf3b.jpg9c47e74ccd03a1d156737705de21304e.jpg

Actually, beer is 6 for $15. The vendors come along and you just say no. The beach was good for me, sandy, and easy to get into and out.

Photos from August:

a87d877a3daa7062acbbcedc67e2a2d6.jpg

a6a2aea202cd979125c33330904dbf3b.jpg9c47e74ccd03a1d156737705de21304e.jpg

Actually, beer is 6 for $15. The vendors come along and you just say no. The beach was good for me, sandy, and easy to get into and out.

Thanks for photos and menus - looks good. We may reserve and start there instead. I am not averse to dealing with vendors just gets annoying when you are trying to have a quiet read! We can always walk down to Blue Kay and check it out if they get too annoying and catch taxi back from there.

I would consider $30 for 4 beers (or even margaritas) at a basic Mexican beach bar excessive. How was the pricing for food and drinks thereafter?

We ordered non-beer drinks. Based on the menu, they were generally $6. (I think one or two for $5.) So basically, $24 of the $30 was for the four drinks with $3 for the chair/cushion.

The food was reasonable from what I can recall. The menu was in pesos, but I think meals were around $8 - $10.

We were there late nov. cabbed over met Irene, payed 15 us pp for chair, mats for chairs, unlimited local beer only and various mystery cocktails. No recognizable hard spirits, stuck to beer which were good. Paid around 12 us for guacamole and chips large order and very good. Water and beach view, PRICELESS! The later is the apparent choice for us. No seaweed, no crowds beautiful sandy beach. Not a party spot! Pictures from pics. Posted are spot on. No trouble with cabbing back. Trolley might be an easier walk. We did a cab, but will trolley next week.

We were there late nov. cabbed over met Irene, payed 15 us pp for chair, mats for chairs, unlimited local beer only and various mystery cocktails. No recognizable hard spirits, stuck to beer which were good. Paid around 12 us for guacamole and chips large order and very good. Water and beach view, PRICELESS! The later is the apparent choice for us. No seaweed, no crowds beautiful sandy beach. Not a party spot! Pictures from pics. Posted are spot on. No trouble with cabbing back. Trolley might be an easier walk. We did a cab, but will trolley next week.

They do have different packages that people can do (like you mentioned your $15 package, which included drinks) but I believe what we are talking about is they keep changing the amount on just the standard "entry-spend-a-day-there" package, which doesn't include anything and you get to use your entrance fee toward a drink or whatever. It's a little different and what keeps changing every time someone goes there.

Does anyone have email address for Blue Kay other than contact form on their website? Thanks.

Leg, my correspondence with them back when we went the first time around was with a guy named Juan. I have no idea if he's still there and handling any of this, but his email was juanortega.com @icloud .com. You could try that. If that doesn't work the "stand-in" guy that I mentioned in my review (that actually owns another place that is being redone) is named Robert Gruber and you could probably contact him at Yemaya Beach Club & Resort on social media (and it also says Blue Kay no there as well). Maybe he'll respond to you quicker. :)

They do have different packages that people can do (like you mentioned your $15 package, which included drinks) but I believe what we are talking about is they keep changing the amount on just the standard "entry-spend-a-day-there" package, which doesn't include anything and you get to use your entrance fee toward a drink or whatever. It's a little different and what keeps changing every time someone goes there.

Leg, my correspondence with them back when we went the first time around was with a guy named Juan. I have no idea if he's still there and handling any of this, but his email was juanortega.com @icloud .com. You could try that. If that doesn't work the "stand-in" guy that I mentioned in my review (that actually owns another place that is being redone) is named Robert Gruber and you could probably contact him at Yemaya Beach Club & Resort on social media (and it also says Blue Kay no there as well). Maybe he'll respond to you quicker. :)

Ships from our local port haven’t been going to Costa Maya for several years. It has been at least 4 years since we visited and last time we went to Maya Chan. It has been many, many years since we went to the Malecon. Suddenly we find we are visiting twice in the space of a month!

I am sure there have been many changes and I read about many new places. After your first review of Blue Kay I was set to visit there for the whole day but recent reviews have dampened my enthusiasm. I think now we will use our first visit as a fact finding mission for future visits. I am hoping that we can “hop” along the malecon starting at the far south, stopping in the middle and finishing at Blue Kay (if we get that far!). I have decided that way we will get an idea of which “area” appeals to us most, in terms of facility but also sand and ocean.

Thanks for your contact suggestions. Unfortunately I don’t do facebook. I have emailed the other establishments I am interested in so we will see how it goes on the day.

We were at Blue on Dec 21 2017 and entry fee was 15.00 ea which included 1 padded chair and two drinks. Like others have said the place is on a beautiful area of the beach, not crowded, no sea weed and clear water. Also great view of the lighthouse and the ships.

We were at Blue on Dec 21 2017 and entry fee was 15.00 ea which included 1 padded chair and two drinks. Like others have said the place is on a beautiful area of the beach, not crowded, no sea weed and clear water. Also great view of the lighthouse and the ships.

Everything is negotiable in Mexico. :-) I have never paid a entrance fee, some may refuse so just move on to the next beach club.
My info is for new cruisers who most likely over pay for goods and services. Five dollars here five dollars there, it adds up over the length of a cruise.

So were you unable to negotiate?

We only will only drink beer during the day - $15 for two beers isn’t going to work - and yet the poster above had unlimited beers for $15.

My wife asked me to stop with the bargaining on this cruise so I kept quiet. Beer at Blue Key was 5.00 each.

Last year at Ya Ya I paid nothing for a chair and beer was 2.00 ea. Pricing per beach club is ever changing. So if you like to haggle you will find the bargains.

We will be going here late Feb.

Do we need to make a reservation to use the beach or just grab a taxi and show up?

Mitsugirly, you mentioned somewhere about Blue Kay renting lounger space to another club that occupied the shoreline? Can you elaborate on that, pictures?

Mitsugirly, you mentioned somewhere about Blue Kay renting lounger space to another club that occupied the shoreline? Can you elaborate on that, pictures?

The section they rented/sold to the beach club next door (which seems to be where they are taking people as an excursion from the ship and people are leaving reports for BK as if they were there) are a smaller section right to the right of BK (when facing the water). There are still other places in front of the water and down some that are water front property. We just happened to walk in and park ourselves in the area that we were at the last time and were fine with it because we were under the palm trees in the shade with no umbrellas needed.

Taken from our chairs with the section in front of us:

IMG_2512%20copy-M.jpg

Section in front of the ropes:

PB162165%20copy-M.jpg

Plenty of chairs by the water if you want:

PB162203%20copy-M.jpg

The section they rented out:

PB162206%20copy-M.jpg

PB160139%20copy-M.jpg

Our area behind them and we loved it. There was plenty of shade and greenery around us and felt a little secluded.

PB160142%20copy-M.jpg

Mitsugirly,

Thanks for the info.

One other question, should we convert some cash/plastic into pesos? If so, where's the best place to do that?

No need to exchange and probably not worth the hassle for one day.

You always get a better deal in pesos if you go regularly or take a land vacation.

I can understand people being "concerned/upset" by the seemingly random pricing policies at Blue Kay but....

geez folks its a day at a beautiful beach that you don't own or pay taxes to use so don't begrudge them the prices you pay. I'd wager your daily bar bill onboard is more than the cost to lay on their beach and use their loungers.

Don't worry, be happy!