Haven vs. Luxury Line

Wannacruise81

I've sailed twice on luxury lines (Seabourn and Crystal, with one more Crystal and a Silversea booked), one in the Haven (one more booked), and several other "mass market" sailings as well (including Celebrity suites.)

Overall, I really love the luxury cruise experience. I *might* watch one show per cruise (usually closer to zero) and prefer small venue entertainment (a pianist, a quartet) to larger shows, so the entertainment is not an issue at all.

I do however have two small kids (2.5 and 6) and although I did see some smaller kids on our Crystal cruise this summer, I think they'd be bored senseless. No sense in trying to be a square peg in a round hole. So we took our kids and a nanny on the Norwegian Escape in the Haven and it worked out perfectly. Kids were welcome, stuff for them to do, quiet restful area for the adults...

Cruising with our kids? Probably Haven.

Without? Luxury line when we can, otherwise Celebrity most likely but I might consider Haven as well.

Not everyone books the Haven for luxury.

Some want extra space.

Some want to avoid crowds.

Some like the dedicated restaurant.

Some like getting all 4 perks.

Some like the Nespresso.

Some like area with no chair hogs.

Or... something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't mean "best" as in best in luxury. Clearly, the Haven and Yacht Club are not the "best" in that area. I meant that they offer both the fun of a mainstream line as well as the service of a luxury line.

If someone wants the best in luxury, they should go for a full luxury line. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Nope, absolutely understood. I am looking forward to my MSC cruise...who knows, we might just find our sweet spot?

Nope, absolutely understood. I am looking forward to my MSC cruise...who knows, we might just find our sweet spot?

We have a few cruise booked in 2018 and 2019; but I am really looking foward to the Celebrity Edge. While Celebrity is late with true suite perks, this ship will have areas fore suite guests on par , perhaps above Royal Caribbean’s Grand suite and above perks on the new Oasis class ships. Looking foward to that new experience

This is a really interesting thread as I am currently looking to book a 10-12 night Asia cruise in March 2018 in either direction between Singapore and Hong Kong, options being NCL (Jewel) or Crystal (Serenity). Prices are amost identical for 2 passengers on similar itinerary - for a Balcony on Crystal Serenity vs Haven Penthouse Suite on NCL Jewel. We are 2 adults travelling, no children - we will be new to NCL.

Previous cruises have been on Cunard, P&O, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Holland America. Enjoyed all, but least favourites were Celebrity and Holland America, favorites were Cunard (QE2/QM2, Europe and Australia) and Royal Caribbean (Splendour and Voyager, Asia) and third Princess (Diamond, Asia).

Travelling from the UK, so Asia is a big trip, particularly with long flights.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

I agree with this, but the two products are not comparible because of the size alone. The food, the service, and being able to disembark into port with a few hundred passengers vs a few thousand cannot be underestimated, but there clearly isnt the entertainment choices one can find on the larger ships. And yes, the crowds tend to skew a little older, but it is just as casual and freestyle as you want it to be.

My husband and I are Seabourn fans. We love the luxury and intimacy of the small ships, but they do come at a price. We were looking to try something different next year, so I booked us in the yatch club on the MSC Seaside. I also considered the Haven, but was surprised at the cost...as much as our last 7 day Seabourn cruise! The Seaside costs literally half as much and they status matched us to their highest level so there will be some added perks. I guess we will see if it's "the best of both worlds" come January.

I think you'll love MSC. We also were looking for something a little different and booked a Yacht Club cabin on MSC Divina last March and loved it. Booked a similar cabin on Seaside in March 2018. Really looking forward to it!

This is a really interesting thread as I am currently looking to book a 10-12 night Asia cruise in March 2018 in either direction between Singapore and Hong Kong, options being NCL (Jewel) or Crystal (Serenity). Prices are amost identical for 2 passengers on similar itinerary - for a Balcony on Crystal Serenity vs Haven Penthouse Suite on NCL Jewel. We are 2 adults travelling, no children - we will be new to NCL.

Previous cruises have been on Cunard, P&O, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Holland America. Enjoyed all, but least favourites were Celebrity and Holland America, favorites were Cunard (QE2/QM2, Europe and Australia) and Royal Caribbean (Splendour and Voyager, Asia) and third Princess (Diamond, Asia).

Travelling from the UK, so Asia is a big trip, particularly with long flights.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Crystal serenity balcony versus Norwegian Haven? Is there even really a question here? I would go with Crystal in this situation with 1000% certainty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oceania does not require people to "dress up." It is hardly "mass market" and the attitude that seems to come with it. The passengers are OLDER, there are more walkers and scooters, the entertainment is definitely of the "less animated" variety. Crystal and Seaborn and all the rest: you GET what you pay for and some people need to pay to make themselves feel somehow..better

Not at all true. We've been on 4 Oceania cruises and I can count on one hand the number of walkers or scooters I've seen and I've seen more on NCL! O offers multiple excellent dining options and is very port intensive. We go to see the world, not lay around a pool or suck up drinks while sitting on a barstool. And I can tell you, O's suites are no more expensive than the Haven.

Thanks for the info - my question regarding NCL vs Crystal is real - prices for the Asia itinerary are amost identical for 2 passengers for a Balcony on Crystal Serenity vs Haven Penthouse Suite on NCL Jewel.

To be honest I was quite shocked when I saw the NCL Haven price as it is also similar to QM2 in Queens Grill for a longer Australia /Asia voyage (not suitable for me this time). I guess the difference is this would be all inclusive on NCL vs Cunard and vs Crystal NCL Penthouse is a much larger room - the Crystal Penthouse would be almost double the cost.

I do like the sound of the variety of choices of dining and entertainment on NCL. I am sure the Crystal main dining is great, but would miss an evening buffet/casual option, particularly on a port-intensive Asia cruise. My first cruise was 14 nights on the QM2 during launch year, standard balcony with fixed dining and10 semi-formal/formal nights - we were very pleased to sneak off to the buffet a couple of nights!

I love the Haven on NCL. However, I use this thought when deciding to book Haven or not. First, if the itinerary is port intensive and not many sea days (the Mediterranean) and I am planning on going ashore, then I won’t usually book the Haven. Secondly, if there are 3 or more sea days, depending on the length of the cruise, I will book Haven. On Seadays it is really nice to have a private solace to relax in. I love NCL overall and regardless which cabin I choose, I always have a great time. But I know when I book, which type of experience I will have.

I am doing my first MSC cruise in January on the new MSC Seaside, in just a normal balcony cabin with the Fantastica experience. I am excited to try it, but already have two other NCL cruises booked.

:D

A one minute list of differences between luxury line and Haven. Some may be considered as positives or negatives, depending on preferences. Note that all luxury lines now offer open seating for dinner. I am not taking cost into consideration.

Smaller ships.

All inclusive.

Improved passenger to space ratio - less crowded

Improved passenger to crew ratio

Better service throughout the ship. Not just limited to suite area.

Gourmet dining.

More formal

Older demographic

Very few children and teens

Fewer entertainment options

Very little nickle and diming

Most have gratuities included

Many have shore excursions included

Varied itineraries.

Can access ports that larger ships can not.

:D yes..wonderful experience..