First Time on NCL. Anything that’s a must know?

alotofquestions

Hello all My bride and I are looking to spend our 1st anniversary on NCL but we have only cruised Carnival and RCI. We have heard mixed feelings about NCL but with the Pick 5 promotion we felt this cruise line would be the best deal. Any advice would help making out planning a little bit easier. Thanks a lot ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. If you like pre-planned dinner seating, you can still make the requisite reservations online. Otherwise, just show up.

2. O'Sheehan's (a pub/short order restaurant) is in on almost every NCL ship and is a GREAT place for late-night snacks and whatnot. It and the Chinese restaurant Ginza (aka Chin-Chin, depending what ship you're on) are both complimentary (or at least the food is -- booze always costs extra).

3. The bigger NCL ships will require (or at least strongly suggest) you make your show reservations ahead of time. The theatres on the smaller ships are first come, first served.

4. When you board, both O'Sheehan's and a Main Dining Room should be open if you'd prefer those to the buffet. They'll try to steer you towards the buffet, but you can just ask if O'Sheehan's and/or a Main Dining Room is open.

5. The Safety/Lifeboat Drill is MUCH nicer than on Carnival. No standing outside forever staring at covered lifeboats. You meet in your gathering area (usually a restaurant, theatre or lounge) and can sit comfortably whilst they go through the entire lecture/demonstration. Basically, they tell you to just meet there in case of a calamity.

Edited by RaiderDuck

I haven’t cruised royal but definitely prefer NCL to carnival. Entertainment is better and more dining options. Hard to give too much advice without knowing which ship you are looking at; the mega ships are very different than the older ships.

Biggest thing is that prior to booking make sure you understand the terms of the pick 5 promotion. Different room categories get to pick different numbers of perks. And each perk carries certain restrictions, and some fees. So the beverage package and the dining package each carry a service fee to book.

They’re more similar than different. NCL’s beverage package doesn’t include bottled water or special coffees (lattes, etc). NCL’s nightly shows are better than Carnival, not quite as good as Royal (but they’re closing the gap, especially on the newer ships). If you got the dining package, make sure to book those in advance or quickly once on board - the last few nights everyone remembers they have free specialty dining and they get completely booked.

We have sailed Princess and Carnival before but are sailing on NCL the first time in December on the Dawn. I am relieved to hear the muster drill sounds like our experience on Princess - with our health issues it was torture on Carnival. I am very excited about this trip on NCL - already reserved the unlimited thermal spa, 3 specialty restaurant days, and we took the unlimited drinks promo. The only thing so far I'm disappointed reading on these boards is specialty coffee not being included in the drink package because we are major coffee drinkers - to the point I would miss that more than alcohol. Is there any kind of reward card so we can get a free one after buying a certain amount - or any coffee package? I'm going to go crazy if I need to ration my coffee allowance because it costs extra, which is odd since cocktails generally cost more but are included in the package.

O'Sheehan's wings...plain with ranch on the side!!!

Since you have UBP... try Patron Silver, Cointreau, and a splash of lime juice shaken and served martini style :)

Have fun on your cruise.

The specialty coffee is pretty cheap...you are not going to break the bank on it.

Hello all My bride and I are looking to spend our 1st anniversary on NCL but we have only cruised Carnival and RCI. We have heard mixed feelings about NCL but with the Pick 5 promotion we felt this cruise line would be the best deal. Any advice would help making out planning a little bit easier. Thanks a lot ahead of time.

all cruise lines, like everything else in life have mixed reviews. For the most part you will find the 3 lines you have mentioned about equal. Each has its own personality though. Also it is hard to compare sometimes as each line has various classes of ships. If you have done smaller, or older ships on one line and now mega ship on another the experience will be very different.

I can't think of any special things to be aware of except for the usual. Don't plan on eating in the MDRs between 5:30 and 7pm unless you are prepared for slower service and maybe a wait time. Be sure and try, at least one of the upsell dining rooms. Of course you have the special dining perk so that is a no brainer. The buffets, like any ship can get crowded. We are not huge buffet eaters so it doesn't bother us. O'sheehans is a great place for a quick snack, but their breakfasts need some improvement. Try their buffalo wings; they are good, the fish and chips can be from really good to really bad.

You may want to consider signing up for the Roll Call. It is a fun way to get a lot of good answers.

Be prepared to have a problem finding a lounge by the pool unless you get there really early or it is a port day. That is probably my biggest gripe about NCL, is the lack of lounges and the small pools. Of course the lounge problem seems to exist on most cruise lines.

Have a fun trip.

We have sailed Princess and Carnival before but are sailing on NCL the first time in December on the Dawn. I am relieved to hear the muster drill sounds like our experience on Princess - with our health issues it was torture on Carnival. I am very excited about this trip on NCL - already reserved the unlimited thermal spa, 3 specialty restaurant days, and we took the unlimited drinks promo. The only thing so far I'm disappointed reading on these boards is specialty coffee not being included in the drink package because we are major coffee drinkers - to the point I would miss that more than alcohol. Is there any kind of reward card so we can get a free one after buying a certain amount - or any coffee package? I'm going to go crazy if I need to ration my coffee allowance because it costs extra, which is odd since cocktails generally cost more but are included in the package.
Regular Coffee is free, it’s the fancy coffees that cost!

Many thanks to those who have posted on this thread. I am also about to go on my first cruise on NCL, but have cruised many times on other cruise lines. I look forward to checking it out. I have noticed that room service is not free on the NCL website, but wonder if they charge for coffee service to the room in the morning? I always tip, but have not experienced a charge for this service. Thanks again.

NCL doesn't charge a room service fee if you want a continental breakfast (coffee, juice, cereal, yogurt, pastries) served in your room. There is a fee if you want eggs for breakfast or lunch/dinner items.

Great! Thank you :D

A couple of BIG differences not yet mentioned

1. NO formal night. There is Norweigians night out sometimes called dress up or not. On that night those who want to dress more formally do. But truthfully that mostly means a nicer sun dress or slacks and button down for the guys.

Very very few dress up more than that. But if that is your thing you are FREE to do so...freestyle cruising means exactly that freedom of choice.

2. There are way more INCLUDED options of places to eat. Depending on the ship size/category will depend how many but ship for ship class to class always more.

This is one thing I miss on the seldom occassion I cruise other than NCL

Also the buffet at NCL ship for ship class to class tends to have more variety.

Subjectively I prefer the food on NCL compared to Royal find it comparable to Celebrity and Princess. But since food itself is subjective quality and taste is preference. Variety is not.

3. The choice of entertainment and volume is superior on NCL.

Again ship for ship class for class.

Entertainment is subjective so what one likes another does not but what is not subjective is how much is offered and how many venues.

NCL beats the other lines in the quantity.. and in my opinion the quality. ( subjective for quality)

There is typically something for everyone's taste .

Music everywhere..all different styles.

Dancing in several places again different styles catering to different ages.

Comedy , variety , illusion, Broadway style shows , Vegas style shows etc.

Class of ship determines how many venues and how much is going on at the same time. But typically more than similar class of ship on another line.

4. Kids programs again subjective but most parents who sail with their kids report they enjoy the NCL kids program more and have a hard time dragging the kids out of the program

5. The atmosphere on board. Again like most lines this varies per ship. Class. And length of itinerary but typically there are a wide variety of ages and typically there are spaces on each ship that have a vibe that caters to each age group.

So younger adults who may want to party more...can find party places going well into the wee hours.

Middle adults will find areas with a vibe that caters to them and older adults will find the same.

Each major age group can have a completely different experience on the same cruise depending where they choose to hang out/ spend their time.

6. Overall value is better on NCL which is why so many people who have been loyal to royal and other lines are trying NCL and many are switching.

The exact same cruise...itinerary and comparable cabin class and ship class is cheaper and or includes more for similar price.

7. The thermal spas. Are FAR superior.. largest at sea.

For those of us who make them a regular part of our cruising experience they are worth every penny. I have had spa passes on other lines and the facilities are much smaller and just do not have the variety of offerings as NCL . I am referring to the thermal spa not services . The services are similar on most ships.

There is a lot that is subjective but one can not dispute numbers and facts of what is included, how many dining venues are included, how much entertainment is included and the choice of upcharge entertainment and dining for those who choose to participate in those things....or have the freedom not to.

For those who say they get nickel and dimed on board the fact is you can sail on any NCL ship and walk off with out spending a penny more than what you paid ahead of time for the cruise and gratuities and have a great time!

Or you can spend on board and participate in optional activities and dining for an upcharge.

I have done both. And have been very happy when I spend more and very happy when I did what was included and nothing else.

and had a fantastic cruise both ways.

So the complaints about nickel and dining are exactly that...complaints.

You can choose to spend more...or not and have an amazing time either way.

NCL has spent vast amounts of money updating and upgrading all their ships. Menues. Entertainment etc and as a result are gaining market share in the mass market category of cruising.

They are now at the top end of mass market just a shade below the premium lines and at a better price point than both the other top mass market lines (royal and carnival) and the top premier lines (celebrity princess Holland america)

Ultimately as with everything. There are those that just prefer one thing over another regardless of what is offered.

But many many cruisers who are trying NCL are finding themselves being won over

It's also our first time on NCL and only 3rd overall, so I appreciate the tips. Does NCL have unassisted disembarkation? If so, how long does it usually take to get off the ship? I ask because our arrival back in New Orleans on 12/30 is listed at 8am, and we have an 11:25am flight out. Do I need to reschedule our flight?

Thanks!

It's also our first time on NCL and only 3rd overall, so I appreciate the tips. Does NCL have unassisted disembarkation? If so, how long does it usually take to get off the ship? I ask because our arrival back in New Orleans on 12/30 is listed at 8am, and we have an 11:25am flight out. Do I need to reschedule our flight?

Thanks!

The recommendation I've seen (as a new cruiser) is to have 6 hours between when you dock and the time of your flight. Can someone confirm this or tell us if that is necessary?

Not sure what your coffee preference is... but I brought a bottle of coffee flavor syrup and made my own Carmel coffees every day 😊

Thanks!

Yes, you can disembark early if you keep your bags with you and walk off with them. This starts as soon as the ship clears customs. I don't know what the track record of customs in New Orleans is, but in all of our other US ports the ship has been cleared by 7:30 to 8 AM. I don't know how close the airport is, etc. so perhaps someone else can chime in on this one.

NCL also let's you choose your disembarkation time if you can't take your bags with you. You can opt for the earliest time and obtain the proper colored tags for your bags at the service desk (or in that main atrium area). You might be able to request them a couple days before docking (I seem to remember this on our last NCL cruise). You may have to wait to disembark after the "walk off" people.

OP what ship? If you are sailing 1 with the waterfront area spend some time there enjoying a cocktail.

Agree with others O'SHEEHANS for wings, sandwiches, salads, drinks.

We make that first stop on embarkation day.

If you have SDP book at the 90 day mark, 100 if Haven. They only pre-book about 30% of times before cruise. Don't worry if you can't get the times you want, just go as soon as you board and make/change your reservations.

UBP if your drink is over $15.00 you will be charged the difference +18% gratuity.

Ex: Chocolate Martini is 17.95 = 2.95+18%= $3.48

Enjoy your cruise! We've done 10 cruises with our last one on the Escape the best.