Taxi between Cape Liberty and Hudson Bergen Light Rail Station

bob brown

I am taking a 12 day cruise from Cape Liberty on 2 December, and have been thinking of trying to take the HBLR to 34th Street Station in Bayonne, and then taxi to the port, and then the return on 14 December...

Has anyone actually done this, or know of someone that has?

I am fit, and have no trouble making transfers, or walking a fair distance with my wheeled luggage, so wondering if this is a viable option....

I am taking a 12 day cruise from Cape Liberty on 2 December, and have been thinking of trying to take the HBLR to 34th Street Station in Bayonne, and then taxi to the port, and then the return on 14 December...

Has anyone actually done this, or know of someone that has?

Yes, Mrs Post Captain & I have done this on several occasions, and it's also now the preferred route of poster 138east (Carol), who cruises out of Cape Liberty frequently.

You'll want to take the PATH train to Hoboken or Exchange Place and change to the HBLR at either of those -- an easy process that involves walking just a short distance from the PATH station to the nearby HBLR platform.

You will have to take a taxi (or Uber--but you know as much about Uber as I do) from the Bayonne 34th Street station to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal. It is "walking distance" (at least as I define that term--about two miles or so in this instance), but if I'm not mistaken, unfortunately you're not permitted to walk to the terminal, which is out toward the end of the large artificial peninsula that was the Military Ocean Terminal of old.

I am fit, and have no trouble making transfers, or walking a fair distance with my wheeled luggage, so wondering if this is a viable option....

Yes, sounds like a good plan. You can find phone numbers for several local (Bayonne) taxi services posted in other threads on this topic.

Thanks for that response!

I can find may way to the station all right...just wondering how difficult it would be getting a taxi there...would there likely be some waiting, or would I have to call for one...and would I have to 'book' one in advance, or just try my luck getting one, or calling one, when I arrive at the station?

That info would be very helpful....:)

Bob ~

When we took the light rail (HBLR) to Bayonne en-route to Cape Liberty, we phoned for a taxi when we arrived at the 34th Street (Bayonne) light rail station. As I recall, the taxi showed up at the station in less than ten minutes. However, that was several years ago, and we haven't sailed out of Cape Liberty since then, so I can't say whether the taxi service is still as efficient and swift as it was back then. Perhaps 138east will weigh in with her more information, as her experiences are more recent than mine. (In the meantime, check some of the other threads here, especially "Cape Liberty 411", where this question gets asked and answered fairly frequently.)

I suppose you could also take a taxi from Journal Square, though no doubt that would be more expensive than a taxi from the light rail station, which is virtually just across the road (route 440) from the entrance to the Cape Liberty peninsula. For that matter, you could also get a taxi quite easily at Hoboken--they queue up on Hudson Place, just outside Hoboken Terminal/ Hoboken PATH station. But again, that will be a somewhat longer ride than the two-mile journey from the 34th Street LR station.

This page of the Cape Liberty website has links to the names & phone numbers of three cab companies that can pick you up at the 34th St. (Bayonne) light rail station:

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/directions_parking.html

Edited by Post Captain

Thanks for that response!

I can find may way to the station all right...just wondering how difficult it would be getting a taxi there...would there likely be some waiting, or would I have to call for one...and would I have to 'book' one in advance, or just try my luck getting one, or calling one, when I arrive at the station?

That info would be very helpful....:)

You will have to call when you get there. Several folks have had good success with Uber. Go early. You can get out of the weather in the overpass if you have to wait. Just clarify with the taxi whether the pickup is in the parking area or on Avenue E.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300