Kangaroo Island (Penneshaw) Tours

RogerW

We've just returned from a cruise stopping at KI. There were 7 of us and we hired a Hyundai iMax from Hertz at Peneshaw.

We left Penneshaw at about 9am and it took 1hr45min to get across to Admiral's Arch. We then went to Remarkable Rocks and Vivonne Bay before heading back to Penneshaw arriving at the wharf about 3:30pm after dropping off the vehicle. Total cost including National Park fee was approx. $60 each plus lunch which we bought at the Flinders Chase Visitor Centre. Buy lunch there when you pay the park fee because there was very little left when we got back later.

No need to go to Seal Bay, there are plenty of seals to see at Admiral's Arch.

Good to know about the seals at Admiral's Arch. And thanks for the advice on where to pick up food. We are going to be on KI this December and, like you, we have a car booked and plan to hot-foot it over to the far side of the island as soon as we can. I wasn't sure where we were going to pick up food. I also had a visit to Seals Bay on my 'places to see' but may drop that for something else now. Cheers.

Good to know about the seals at Admiral's Arch. And thanks for the advice on where to pick up food. We are going to be on KI this December and, like you, we have a car booked and plan to hot-foot it over to the far side of the island as soon as we can. I wasn't sure where we were going to pick up food. I also had a visit to Seals Bay on my 'places to see' but may drop that for something else now. Cheers.

Seals Bay is definitely a place to see. :) At Admirals Arch, visitors are about 50 metres away from a small colony of New Zealand fur seals. At Seals Bay, rangers take visitors on a walk through a colony of sea lions. They are much larger than fur seals and you are right in the middle of the colony. We felt this was a great experience.

Another vote for Seal Bay. It’s not so much seals in the area that make it a thrilling experience, it’s actually the guided tour which is fantastic. You get up close and personal with them, from a safe distance, and it’s brilliant. Don’t discount it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for Seal Bay. It’s not so much seals in the area that make it a thrilling experience, it’s actually the guided tour which is fantastic. You get up close and personal with them, from a safe distance, and it’s brilliant. Don’t discount it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The key difference between Seal Bay and Admirals Arch, is that the creatures in Seal Bay are sea lions, not the much smaller NZ fur seals. The other major difference is that you can go on a guided walk through the Seal Bay colony. I agree, it is fantastic.:)

Agree...go to both. At Seal Bay you will have a guide getting you up closer to the Sea Lions. It is an incredible experience. We all froze as a sea lion went right past us to go into the bushes behind us. Admirals arch is more scenic with seals at a distance. We started off at a Koala park and then went to the Remarkable Rocks to get there before the ship’s tours. It worked out perfectly! Loved Kangaroo Island.