Stairs fall?

margbem

I've never fallen, but I have a problem with balanced caused by Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS). Going down any stairs is touchy, and not possible without holding onto the rail. Going up is easier. I guess I tend to lean forward so it's much safer going up than down. I find that because I have issues with stairs, that I'm more careful than when I was younger, before my GBS.

The problem is not restricted to Princess ships. High heels, long dresses, and curving stair cases with hard treads are not a good combination anywhere. Not saying that was the OP case, but I have observed issues with this combination several times.

I've never fallen, but I have a problem with balanced caused by Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS). Going down any stairs is touchy, and not possible without holding onto the rail. Going up is easier. I guess I tend to lean forward so it's much safer going up than down. I find that because I have issues with stairs, that I'm more careful than when I was younger, before my GBS.

I have fallen, as has my wife. I still have balance issues, and will never again take an escalator. And agree with you, very careful with stairs and stepping off curbs - that's when I fell

People need to take responsibility for their actions. I cringe seeing people go down the “inside” rather than the outside of the curved stairs. People just don’t give any thought to what they do then want to blame others.

When going DOWN It is much more likely that you will slip and fall down the stairs when travelling down the tight inside curve with very short step length as compared to using the wide portion of the steps on the outside of the stairway.

When climbing UP these curved stairs while the outer edge still remains the safest, climbing the narrower inside of the curve doesnt have the same danger as going down them has and this leaves the outer edge of the stairs for the people travelling down.

Another place I frequently see similar bad stair choices is when on bus tours mainly in Europe where the busses have a second door half way to the back. The stairs to these rear doors are twice (or more) as steep as the front stairs yet people who should be using the much safer front stairs routinely head to these back doors. Again, not thinking.

I watched a man who was not very steady on his feet and using a cane fall from the top of those stairs all the way to the sidewalk below on a transfer from airport to ship. I have no idea if he made the cruise or not.

AE_Collector (safety department)

People need to take responsibility for their actions. I cringe seeing people go down the “inside” rather than the outside of the curved stairs. People just don’t give any thought to what they do then want to blame others.

When going DOWN It is much more likely that you will slip and fall down the stairs when travelling down the tight inside curve with very short step length as compared to using the wide portion of the steps on the outside of the stairway.

When climbing UP these curved stairs while the outer edge still remains the safest, climbing the narrower inside of the curve doesnt have the same danger as going down them has and this leaves the outer edge of the stairs for the people travelling down.

Another place I frequently see similar bad stair choices is when on bus tours mainly in Europe where the busses have a second door half way to the back. The stairs to these rear doors are twice (or more) as steep as the front stairs yet people who should be using the much safer front stairs routinely head to these back doors. Again, not thinking.

I watched a man who was not very steady on his feet and using a cane fall from the top of those stairs all the way to the sidewalk below on a transfer from airport to ship. I have no idea if he made the cruise or not.

AE_Collector (safety department)

I get your concern. Consideration is a learned behavior and a lost art.

It is not the rise, it is the tread that is the problem with stair cases that are curved, people that are not used to them will have problems if they are not paying attention while descending, the treads are expanding from the center of the post or inner rail.

It was over 20 years ago so cannot remember which Princess ship this was on. Husband and i coming down the atrium stairs in our formal wear and did not see that some idiot had spilled a clear drink on the stairs. Husband hit that and went down with me close behind. I did not go all the way down since i had the rail on one side and him on the other.

Staff saw this happen and ran over. We were sore but okay.

I was going down the stairs while a man was coming up the stairs. I had my right hand on the railing, he had his left hand on the railing. He was NOT going to give way, so I did. As I was passing him the ship lurched left and I nearly fell flat. I was in 5" heels, no less. It was probably the closest I've ever come to staircase disaster. I feel for anyone who takes a fall on a staircase.

That's your first mistake- Wearing 5" heels on a cruise ship. :rolleyes:

Crazy.