New to Celebrity - Elite/Internet package

Mim Lloyd

Following quite a few RCCI cruises we've now booked a Celebrity cruise on the Silhouette for January 2019. We've been given Elite status by Celebrity as we'd just made Diamond on RCCI. I want to buy an unlimited internet package but I'm not sure whether it's better to pre-purchase it via the website before we go, or wait until we board and take advantage of the 30% discounts for being Elite. Is it cheaper to pre-purchase than waiting until we board? Any ideas folks?

You can't apply the discount on the website. You can however purchase it before boarding and get the Elite discount applied by calling the Captain's club to pu chase the package. The price on the ship, in our experience, has been higher than the price pre-cruise.

As elite you and your spouse/room mate will both get 90 minutes of free internet. I have found that to be enough to stay in touch with friends/family and browse the internet a bit. If you plan on working and need a lot of time then the unlimited is what you need. The connection can be SLOW depending on where on the ship you are and at what time of day. Evenings after a port stop the internets tends to be very slow.

If you use the free internet remember to LOG-OFF when you are finished. If you don't log off your timer still runs and...."poof your 90 minutes is gone"...

Following quite a few RCCI cruises we've now booked a Celebrity cruise on the Silhouette for January 2019. We've been given Elite status by Celebrity as we'd just made Diamond on RCCI. I want to buy an unlimited internet package but I'm not sure whether it's better to pre-purchase it via the website before we go, or wait until we board and take advantage of the 30% discounts for being Elite. Is it cheaper to pre-purchase than waiting until we board? Any ideas folks?

Just a heads up since you're new to Celebrity. This past spring Celebrity launched a new website which has been plagued with multiple functionality problems ever since. I usually function in planning a cruise quite well on the website, but with the current problems I'd strongly recommend doing all purchases and reservations through the Captain's Club by phone rather than trusting the website. I think many others feel the same based on the hold times I've experienced since the new site launch.

We have always gone to the iLounge as soon as we can and they essentially buy back our elite + minutes and we get an unlimited plan at the discounted rate, whatever that is. My DH can't cruise if he can't stay in touch with his business, so it's necessary. Our last two cruises have come with unlimited internet (as a perk) and that's been great.

Sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's not so slow - depends honestly on time of day and where on the ship and some other factors we can't explain. But I will say this: it's way faster than it was just a couple years ago.

We used to have to go into port each time and find free WiFi - no longer. Nice. Have a wonderful cruise.

As elite you and your spouse/room mate will both get 90 minutes of free internet. I have found that to be enough to stay in touch with friends/family and browse the internet a bit. If you plan on working and need a lot of time then the unlimited is what you need. The connection can be SLOW depending on where on the ship you are and at what time of day. Evenings after a port stop the internets tends to be very slow.

If you use the free internet remember to LOG-OFF when you are finished. If you don't log off your timer still runs and...."poof your 90 minutes is gone"...

This the 90 minutes continuous or can you stretch it out over a few days?

It's not continuous (unless you forget to logoff when you are finished using it). It's good for the entire cruise. I usually use 10 - 15 minutes a day to check email and fb. The 90 minutes plus I usually can find free wifi on shore is more than enough for me.

• 1 month later...

Another here who is Elite due to our Diamond status on Royal. Question, does the internet work the same way, one logon that can be used on multiple devices as on Royal, or is it one package for 9be device? DH and I are both Diamond/Elite but really only want to get one package of we can.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Another here who is Elite due to our Diamond status on Royal. Question, does the internet work the same way, one logon that can be used on multiple devices as on Royal, or is it one package for 9be device? DH and I are both Diamond/Elite but really only want to get one package of we can.

Can be used on multiple devices, but only on one at a time.

You can have several devices share the minutes but not at the same time. You have to log off one device in order to use another device. We did this and it wasn’t too bad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As Elite members you each are entitled to 90 minutes of free WIFI. You will need to set up both accounts. You can log one device into each account. Remember to log off the account when you're not using it since your time continues to run as long as you are logged in regardless of whether or not it's in use. If you decide you want unlimited WIFI, you can get a 30% discount on the price. That is also one device. If you wish to use another device, you must log out with one before logging in with another.

I have made phone calls on my tablet over the WIFI while aboard ship with no problems, so yes, it's fast enough to do that.

Thanks. That's the way it works on Royal and what we have done on previous cruises. Just wanted to make sure it was the same. Neither if us need to be on all the time, just a check in once or twice a day each.

I just called Captains Club and was able to get unlimited internet for 157.00 for my upcoming Silhouette cruise. That is the discounted pre-cruise price of $224 with an additional 30% off for my Elite Status. That is a significant discount compared to the current on board price of $299.99 less 30% of $209.