Getting There - Help Me With Flight

seacrystal

I was not sure what category to post this but since I will be going on a Coral Princess CruiseTour in June of 2005, I thought I would ask questions on the logistics of flying to start this trip.

Here is my dilemma:

My tour starts on June 14. My plan is to fly out of John Wayne Airport to Seattle (stay a couple of days) then fly from Seattle to Fairbanks (1 day early). We sail from Whittier to Vancouver (June 18). I then want to fly from Vancouver to John Wayne.

What is the best way to book all these flights? Do I try roundtrip John Wayne to Seattle then book 1-way to Fairbanks and then 1-way from Vancouver to home. I know there are tricks out there I just need some guidance.

Thanks,
Seacrystal

I just did a quick search using the route I am taking this September to get to Seattle. June 2005 is a bit far out as of now.

I know you asked for John Wayne Airport. However, you should consider Long Beach since Jet Blue flies out of LGB. I am boarding a cruise in Seattle. I am flying Jet Blue to Oakland and then Alaska Airlines to Seattle. One way flight Long Beach/Oakland is $49.00 and one way Oakland/Seattle is $92.10.

I don’t know why, but Seattle is expensive out of southern California. You might also check Long Beach, John Wayne and LAX to Las Vegas then to Seattle. To illustrate how ridiculous the fare structures are on the airlines, I could book Los Angeles to Las Vegas, Las Vegas to Los Angeles, Los Angeles to Seattle (on one ticket) cheaper than just booking Los Angeles to Seattle, and to beat all, the Los Angeles to Seattle is on the same flight that is more expensive if I don’t go to Las Vegas and back first. Heck, I could go pull a few slots for an hour to save some money.<G>

Shipkicker (Michael)

Thanks for your input Shipkicker (great name!)

The airfare structure makes a trip like this way too difficult. I am hoping for lots of suggestions as I have never had to book such a crazy schedule.

Seacrystal

The only reason I didn't want to ask Princess is because of the extra fee and you have to take their schedule which sometimes is not convenient. I was hoping to do this myself. I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!!

Thanks,
Seacrystal

Seacrystal:

One of the options that you have is go to Travelocity and/or Expedia. Both of these travel websites have a feature that allow you to look up prices and availability on travel plans involving multiple flights on different days.

Please note that when you go to these websites, you have the option to view flights for "one Way", "round trip", and "multiple." Select the "multiple" option and the system will allow you enter the itinerary as you have described it with the dates that you have in mind. Then, you will be provided with the different choices that you have available.

Now, as Shipkicker indicated earlier, please do keep in mind that the dates that you have in mind are still pretty far out. It may be that you will not yet be able to use these websites for the dates that you intend to travel. Some airlines do not release their future schedules until 331 days ahead. So, if you're looking at June 2005, you may not be able to start looking until next month (July). I just went through this myself when booking flights for my Alaska cruise in May 2005.

Good Luck!

You might begin by doing a multi-segment fare search at [url="http://www.itasoftware.com"]www.itasoftware.com[/url] which supplies the technology for many airlines and websites. Make notes on the type of aircraft used on each segment by airline to get a general feel for the pax capacity (fare calculation feeds off of seat avability on each segment); but at a year out from departure it is too early to buy. Continue keeping track of this. When you start to see ads or notices on websites about airfare sales that include your travel dates, it is time to act decisvely backed by your research. Practice your pricing skills on fantasy routes by altering dates, times of travel, aircraft tpyes, and routes to see how each variable can effect a total fare. You might do justas well with your own approach of a r/t to Seattle, etc. Bear in mind that, Vancouver has less lift (air service) than Seattle and flights to/from Vancouver tend to be more expensive and sell faster than Seattle, but you have to add in the transfer cost between Seattle and Vancouver. Besides Alaska Air (which with United) have a lock on North/South west coast traffic, Delta, United and Northwest are the major carriers to Anchorage. Between all of the code sharing alliances now in existance, you can price fares on one site and wind up flying on the code share airline. Out of So Cal, explore America West thru Phoenix, United via Denver, and Delta via Salt Lake City.

The rule of thumb is to book airline flights 30 to 45 days out from the date of departure for the best airfare. That being said, I would look to Princess now and ask for an airfare deviation for a $75 extra fee so you can have some control.

Andrea

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;9;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Island Princess - 09/21/04 - Hawaii

Star Princess - 08/2003 - Alaska
Star Princess - 10/2002 - Mexico

reinreiter:

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I had thought earlier that I would like to fly Alaska Air out of John Wayne because it is a major route (I am only 10 mins away). I figured since they had lots of flights I would get a better price. I am signed up for their e-mail notifications for flights. Some of them are $39 1-way. That is only round 1!

Seattle to Fairbanks is entirely different. Alaska Air has the market on that one. I hadn't thought about checking for airfare on another airline. I guess that will be the next step.

Thanks,
Seacrystal

jerfl:

Thanks for the info on itasoftware. I will check it out. This cruise has become the most complicated vacation I have planned. I really want to do the air thing by myself and that is why I am getting ideas early. I now have a new respect for travel agents - they have to keep on top of all this on a daily basis.

Thanks,
Seacrystal

andreadan:

Thank you for your input. I really would feel more secure booking my flights around the first of the year. I would be too afraid to wait 30-45 days before. You must be braver than I am since I am new at this.

Thanks,
Seacrystal

I plugged your destination cities into Alaska Air's multi-city fare request (fictitious dates as it is too early to book yet) and came up with a fare as low as $763. Orange County-Seattle-Fairbanks-Anchorage then Vancouver-Orange County. It may even be cheaper if you have a different way to get from Fairbanks to Whittier.

Hi, good luck with your flights. I would suggest going to the Alaska Air website, and checking out the flights you want on a multi flight option. That way you could stay with the same carrier on all your flights (which might be less expensive), but I think it might be alittle less expensive from Long Beach than OC, also if you sign up for their My Alaska Air program (free) then I think you get a break on the price of your flights, it is worth checking out. And you can call Alaska Air and speak with them and tell them what you are planning and ask for a quote. Couldn't hurt. Good luck.
Cori

Just an FYI - airlines don't post their flight schedules until 11 months out, so it is still too early to look for June of 2005. Some of the discount airlines (like Southwest) don't post some schedules until 3 months out. I would also check with Alaska Air if I were you.

We've used Bestfares.com with good results. The site belongs to Tom Parsons - the guru for air fare deals. Follow the "quickfare finder" guidelines which will get you to a phone number. Be sure and go to the Pike Place Market in Seattle. Good luck.

Pam in Oklahoma

Archived