Greetings from Marina (Nov 7-21, 2017)

Mura

We too are on the current sailing and this is our first and probably last Oceania Cruise. We are in an owners suite and the service has been lackluster at best.

The Butler was slow to start but was better after our first few days. The problem is when he is off and the duty butler is on, he forgets things and when you call to request the items that he forgets, it takes 20-30 minutes for him to bring them, if he even brings them at all.

Internet has been very slow and when you talk with the internet manager he doesn't seem to understand the issue.

Food is better than most cruise ship food however, I have a Gluten free request which has not gone well at all. After the midship comment cards came out, I wrote that it wasn't satisfactory. Two days later I receive a call from the Executive Chef (EC) who tells me that they have many different gluten free selections and they will ensure that I receive more variety. The Executive Chef said they have a communication problem amongst staff. Two days after that call, I order a cheeseburger for lunch in my suite, the EC swore that they have gluten free hamburger and hotdog buns as I was told earlier in the cruise by the Butler that they did not have them. My cheeseburger arrives and its on two pieces of breakfast toast, the only gluten free toast I have seen the entire cruise. When I eat in one of the restaurants, they bring that same breakfast toast to me.

I finally contacted the guest service desk yesterday and asked to speak with the General Manager. I was told that he wasn't working (it was a sea day at 1pm), I asked if he could please call me back and she said "of course." Its a day later and the GM has not called me back.

The suite itself is beautiful and the amount of space inside is great! The housekeeping team that works on our suite daily, is awesome! The people sailing are all very friendly and the age ranges are young to old. We haven't had the chance to see a show yet but have been told that the shows have been very good.

For the cost of the suite, I really had better expectations and when I called to voice those concerns, the calls aren't returned.

could not think of anything worse than sitting in the GDR for lunch - each to their own!

Never ever had a problem finding a table upstairs inside or outside near the buffet

I'm very glad to hear you like to have lunch in Terrace -- we do too, but we also like the GDR. But on THIS cruise, it's disaster in Terrace on the days when the GDR is closed for lunch and all the tours have returned. Waves is also filled. It's one thing to have to search for a table (occasionally we've had to do that in the past but it wasn't a norm and we always found one sooner or later). But in this case at times it's impossible to walk between the aisles with so many people lined up trying to get their food.

Mura

I'm very glad to hear you like to have lunch in Terrace -- we do too, but we also like the GDR. But on THIS cruise, it's disaster in Terrace on the days when the GDR is closed for lunch and all the tours have returned. Waves is also filled. It's one thing to have to search for a table (occasionally we've had to do that in the past but it wasn't a norm and we always found one sooner or later). But in this case at times it's impossible to walk between the aisles with so many people lined up trying to get their food.

Mura

This is sure not the way I remember it in the Marina. Hope it gets better for the next sailing.

I think on port intensive European tours most people are off the ship during the day. This was certainly the case for us in May, Marina Rome to Barcelona. In Caribbean, for example, more people stay on the ship and maybe the GDR is more likely to be open for lunch.

I have never gone hungry on any O cruise, on any O ship. I’ve never even felt a hunger pain aboard ship. If I saw that the Terrace and Waves was crowded, I’d merely come back later. From my sea day adventures, it seems that by near lunch closing time the Terrace has always been near empty. Am I missing something as to why that option is so distasteful for others?Instead of hassling with a crowd, i’d just come back later. Waves is open until 4:00, one can nibble there and gorge at afternoon tea, if they like.

I will reiterate some of the problems we've seen on this cruise. For the record, this is not a port intensive cruise in that we have had a fair number of sea days. But on at least several days where we were in port the GDR was closed for lunch which did cause a great crush in both Terrace and Waves.

If we get back after 2, we just head for Waves. But we normally like to go in to Terrace (whether we are touring or not) around 1:15. On this cruise, when the GDR is closed, both Terrace and Waves are packed.

I'm guessing this doesn't happen on any of the "R" ships because we don't see how Terrace or Waves could possibly handle all the traffic on the smaller ships. Marina and Riviera can, but it also can become extremely crowded ... therefore not a pleasant experience.

Impossible? No. But uncomfortable? Yes.

We haven't talked to anyone on board this time who likes it when the GDR is closed for lunch, whether they tend to eat there or NOT.

And of course if you don't like the crowds, there's another option -- room service. Which is what we did today.

Mura

I have never gone hungry on any O cruise, on any O ship. I’ve never even felt a hunger pain aboard ship. If I saw that the Terrace and Waves was crowded, I’d merely come back later. From my sea day adventures, it seems that by near lunch closing time the Terrace has always been near empty. Am I missing something as to why that option is so distasteful for others?Instead of hassling with a crowd, i’d just come back later. Waves is open until 4:00, one can nibble there and gorge at afternoon tea, if they like.

It's not always possible to come back to the Terrace buffet until later. I've been on a cruise where my shore excursion, along with many others, returned at 2:15 and Terrace was open until 2:30. There wasn't even enough time to go back to the cabin and there wasn't time on the excursion for lunch. We were all very hungry returning to the ship. If you wanted to eat lunch that day, the only option was a very crowded Terrace and Waves. The GDR was closed. Bringing snacks along would have been another option I guess.

I will reiterate some of the problems we've seen on this cruise. For the record, this is not a port intensive cruise in that we have had a fair number of sea days. But on at least several days where we were in port the GDR was closed for lunch which did cause a great crush in both Terrace and Waves.

If we get back after 2, we just head for Waves. But we normally like to go in to Terrace (whether we are touring or not) around 1:15. On this cruise, when the GDR is closed, both Terrace and Waves are packed.

I'm guessing this doesn't happen on any of the "R" ships because we don't see how Terrace or Waves could possibly handle all the traffic on the smaller ships. Marina and Riviera can, but it also can become extremely crowded ... therefore not a pleasant experience.

Impossible? No. But uncomfortable? Yes.

We haven't talked to anyone on board this time who likes it when the GDR is closed for lunch, whether they tend to eat there or NOT.

And of course if you don't like the crowds, there's another option -- room service. Which is what we did today.

Mura

No question, GDR should be open. I hope it will be reflected on the end of voyage comment cards. These complaints need to be heard from the most amount of people possible. :(:(

No question, GDR should be open. I hope it will be reflected on the end of voyage comment cards. These complaints need to be heard from the most amount of people possible. :(:(

It's not as if this is something new. The GDR was closed on many if not most port days when we were on the Insignia in January.

I suspect Oceania has already heard from lots of people about it and that hasn't moved them to change yet, almost a year later.

It didn't surprise us at all because the mass market lines have been operating this way for years, so we are used to it. It also wasn't at all bothersome. If we were only off the ship for a half day we didn't find eating in the Terrace Cafe or Waves when we got back troubling in the least. Crowds were far less less than we experienced at breakfast in this relatively small "R" ship buffet. .

Mura;

It would be interesting to know the demographics of your cruise. As I reported earlier, our cruise ( the one prior to yours) demographics were quite a bit younger than normal cruises. I believe I heard one other poster report ed there were only 70-80 people total aboard when he told his port day aboard ship. I never heard a single complaint about the GDR being closed at lunch. Non issue because most everyone went, and stay ashore at port.

How are the demographics on your cruise leaning? Might I guess this makes a huge difference?

I will repeat an earlier question. I wonder what the needed ultilization of the GDR, for lunch, is to keep it open? Both food prices and labor costs have risen. It probably isn’t economical for O to keep the GDR open for 2.5 hours for lunch if they aren’t getting a good headcount through there.

We had a late docking (9:00 am), one morning, so we and friends ate breakfast in the GDR getting there st ~7:00. We were the only cruisers there for the entire period and we left a bit after 8:00. Maitre de, waiters, all standing around! If they’re getting really small turnout on port days, I can see why they’ve decided to close at lunch. I certainly don’t want to pay extra money in fares. to keep a restaurant open for lunch that has low utilization.

The Terrace closed at 2 pm and was mobbed with more people coming from tours. There was no coming back later since the the Terrace was closed.

The Terrace closed at 2 pm and was mobbed with more people coming from tours. There was no coming back later since the the Terrace was closed.

But Waves is open much later. We had no problem eating there when we got back after Terrace's closing time. Wouldn't the GDR also have been closed by 2 pm ? Not having it open on a port day has zero impact on those arriving back on the ship too late to eat at Terrace, as they would have been too late to eat in the GDR even if it had been open.

We tend to eat lunch in the GDR almost every day when we cruise, and I can say for sure that we are not alone, even on port days there are always some people like us who want a less stressful lunch served at the table!

If Oceania goes on and close GDR for lunch on every port day this could be a deal breaker for us cruising with them, for us the quiet nice lunches in the GDR is pure luxury!

we recently returned from a lovely cruise on Riviera and also enjoyed dining in the GDR, in fact we would have been happy to dine there for most meals.

we liked the service and comfort. we would like to cruise again with oceania we felt well looked after and that is important to us. buffets are ok and we thought they were well done but we prefer to sit and be served.

loved the afternoon teas too.

The principle is great - and we often do that - but it is not without potential danger.

I have gotten quite ill on more than one occasion eating out. Before you say anything - one of the times was eating in Shangri La hotel in Shanghai in a beautiful restaurant with a great view that set me back quite a few bucks. That was certainly the last place I expected to have a problem.

Getting (very) sick from eating a pizza in Corsica was less surprising but most troublesome.

That said, we have this kind of trouble very rarely but when it hits, oh boy...

Have never gotten ill from eating on Oceania.

Statistically you have a far greater chance of getting sick from Norovirus on a ship than from bad food in a port. Of course, you have to use common sense but part of travel is experiencing the local cuisine imo. What a shame to deprive yourself of that just to have another meal in the catering hall atmosphere of the GDR.

Never had a problem finding a nice table in the city visited and having authentic fresh food either. Some people just prefer Americanized food out of the freezer or walk-in. Kinda like that Vienna schnitzel the Terrace was serving on night. Many trips to Vienna but never seen such a over breaded over cooked piece of veal pushed as Vienna schnitzel there!

I’ve eaten at Taco Bell and you can keep that Mexican food! Mexican food just isn’t for me!

But Waves is open much later. We had no problem eating there when we got back after Terrace's closing time. Wouldn't the GDR also have been closed by 2 pm ? Not having it open on a port day has zero impact on those arriving back on the ship too late to eat at Terrace, as they would have been too late to eat in the GDR even if it had been open.

There were no tables available at Waves since that is the only dining venue open after 2 pm.

There were no tables available at Waves since that is the only dining venue open after 2 pm.

You're missing the point. Waves being crowded after 2 pm has nothing to do with whether the GDR was open for lunch that day, because even if the GDR had been open for lunch it would have been closed by 2.

You're missing the point. Waves being crowded after 2 pm has nothing to do with whether the GDR was open for lunch that day, because even if the GDR had been open for lunch it would have been closed by 2.

You are correct. I think they should have extended the hours of the Terrace Cafe to help alleviate the crowds. Many tours came in between 1pm and 2 pm and there was a mad rush to Waves and the Terrace Cafe.

You are correct. I think they should have extended the hours of the Terrace Cafe to help alleviate the crowds. Many tours came in between 1pm and 2 pm and there was a mad rush to Waves and the Terrace Cafe.

Seems odd that they would not extend the Terrace hours when multiple O tours come back later like 2pm+

In the past we have seen Terrace open a bit longer on those type days

I hope this is not a new trend for O