Where's the Best Food in Mahahual??

kathryngies

Not sure about Pez Quadro...but at the beach in Majuahal we ate and stayed at El Faro (I think) and the food was excellent; drinks too. We had chips and salsa, quessadillas, tacos and lots of drinks. All excellent. On the way back we stopped at the Drinking Donkey (close to the ship) and the food was excellent too, drinks not as good.

We ate at El Fero as well, and when I inquired regarding the water used to prepare the raw vegetables the owner became very rude and abusive to us. I was very polite and in no way meant to offend, but I assume from his defensive response that the food there is prepared with unpurified water (since he never answered my question amidst all the insults). I would never recommend that anyone eat there no matter how good it tastes. It could certainly be coincidence, but all of the us suffered intestinal upset for many days following our visit there. I wish now that we had just left the restaurant without eating.

• 10 years later...

Lot of things have changed since 2005!!!

Everyone has a different take on what's good to eat. So you'll get a variety of opinions. IMO, for breakfast you can't beat Hotel Caballo Blanco's chilaquillas; Seafood at Krazy Lobster, Tropicante, El Capitan, Pez Quadro, and if doing the AI, NoHoch Kay are all good. People seem to like the food at Blue Kay. Fernandos has had a great rep but his hours have been spotty and geared more to longer staying vacationers.

Tropicante would be a go to for more meat dishes or better American food. YaYas does an pretty decent job here too.

In the "old" days when it was Pez Quadro, El Faro and the Cat's Meow, everyone went to the Cat's Meow. It didn't survive Hurricane Dennis.

There used to be a small kiosk shack place near the Pemex station and lighthouse that was excellent...but I didn't see it from the road last January and didn't walk up that far.

Thanks so much! I had been checking some menu's and Yaya's had a lobster meal that sounded good. Though I dunno if it would be like the yummy one I got from Little French Key in Roaton, of course it may have been so good cause of all the liquor I had in me then too LOL.

We were in Mahahual Dec 6th and really enjoyed our stay at The Krazy Lobster. The chairs were free along with wifi access. The drinks were reasonably priced and the food was very good. There are plenty of shade or sun options available. The beach has a reef further out that breaks the waves so the water is absolutely gorgeous. We will go back if ever in Mahahual again!