Question about kids and gratuities.

Giantfan13

Friends of ours are sailing RCI with 2 very young children (4 and 3). Do they charge the same gratuities for these children ($13.50) per day as they charge for the adults. They are staying in the same room with the parents.

Just curious

Cheers

Len

Friends of ours are sailing RCI with 2 very young children (4 and 3). Do they charge the same gratuities for these children ($13.50) per day as they charge for the adults. They are staying in the same room with the parents.

Just curious

Cheers

Len

They are not thought of as "kids" but as a 3rd or 4th passenger in that cabin. Gratuities in a standard cabin are $13.50 per passenger per day.

Just curious

Cheers

Len

Four people in a Jr. Suite and all other non-suite staterooms will be charged $54.00 per day in gratuities. Age of a child (even if a baby) has no impact on the daily gratuity charge.

We have 4 kids. Gratuities for us are equal to the price of a cruise fare. No Bueno. But we pay them. And because of my upbringing in the service industry in the USA we still tip extra...

My wife tells me I don't need to tip all the extra but I can't help myself. Especially when we get fantastic service.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just want to confirm that gratuities (I would like to call service charge) is the same for children. Did quite a few cruises when children were young. I just accepted it as part of the cruise fare.

I don't believe there is a need to tip extra as a norm but that is a personal matter.

Sometimes we think of tipping as a % of cost. Very few items to we tip as a service. Example bell hops. So with that in mind, we think of tipping as what they eat etc on the ship. Kids don't eat more, so the tip is always much less. The tip on a kid's meal is not the same as the tip on the adult meal right?

However, the tips on the ship is per the service, like a bell hop, and not as a % of cost. It is also an amount that is actually far less than 18% of cost. So each person tips per service, and each person is a unit on the ship. A four person room, whether it is four adults, or 4 kids are still 4 units. Each unit tips a flat fee. 30 years ago, it was the same method as it is today. Now, remember, that each unit takes up a seat, a bed, a space and each employee receives pay based on the number of units they serve.

I never minded paying for my kids, since I have always looked at tips as part of the cost of vacation.

While I've always felt they should tip MORE than the adults since they get more attention and make more of a mess than the adults, they tip the same.

When our kids were younger and shared a room with us.

They did not get extra attention or make any sort of mess.

I think we even removed tips for one of them before..

Just curious

Cheers

Len

We have them removed and tip as we go. If the kids make a mess tip we more, but the old lady watches them like a hawk so it’s not usually necessary.

Enjoy your cruise!

When our kids were younger and shared a room with us.

They did not get extra attention or make any sort of mess.

I think we even removed tips for one of them before..

I'm quite sure you did - for at least one of them.

Yes, the tips are the same regardless of age. To the ship, a person is just a soul. So if an infant comes on the ship, that means there is one less adult that could come. So to keep things fair for their staff, the service charge is the same.

Carnival, NCL, and MSC charge less for kids. Not sure on Princess. RCI full rate for everyone
Do you know what ages? We did an NCL cruise in 2016 and were charge full rates for all 4 kids (2 were under 12).

Thanks.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk