Have you encounted inconsiderate cruisers, and what to do

Giantfan13

I have waited for an elevator for several minutes with 10-12 other people when we heard a woman loudly saying “Coming through, coming through!” The elevator arrived, we all looked towards the shouting woman who had just arrived in the elevator lobby, she rolled her scooter through the middle of the group and onto the elevator. I firmly believe that wheelchair and scooter users should be given the opportunity to get into the elevator with appropriate clearance/room and not be ignored by late arrivals crowding in ahead of them, but I don’t think it is appropriate for them to barge in ahead of people who have been patiently waiting.

We are in our 70's and 80's, and we remember a time not that long ago, when impeccable manners and consideration of others was expected within and from a 'civilized' society.

We understand 'the world is changing' but impeccable manners, self esteem, respect, self respect and consideration for others will never change.

'Civility' is within one's self and within one's society..

Edited by oldguysandgalls

We are in our 70's and 80's, and we remember a time not that long ago, when impeccable manners and consideration of others was expected within and from a 'civilized' society.

We understand 'the world is changing' but impeccable manners, self esteem, respect, self respect and consideration for others will never change.

Well said! Good manners is always welcome everywhere.

Inconsiderate people suck. On my last cruise I was shocked one morning that every single lounge chair in the Solarium had a towel and/or a book and not a single person was occupying any of them. From 7am till I left at 9:30 there was no movement! Went back around 11:30 and would you believe NOTHING had moved.

To me this is the MOST inconsiderate thing that people do on the ship because it’s done so deliberately!

What frustrates me even more is that the cruise staff does NOTHING to help or prevent the situation despite their “clear” never enforced policy. (Is it that difficult to pick up an abandoned towel that hasn’t been touched for hours?) so you either get frustrated and walk away or get into a confrontation... either way you lose!

2f3b6eb49779dbb59faa4e85f97ea4a7.jpg188d99226c5faccbbbbce34f5cfc2547.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well said!

The people trying to get in the elevator before letting others out is annoying. I have never said anything.. just roll my eyes. On some cruises, my frontal lobe is probably bruised from all the eye rolling. :rolleyes:

However, the most annoying, and inconsiderate thing I have seen is old men using the restroom and walking right out the door... no stop at the sink to wash. It is absolutely disgusting, and I have only said something twice when I watched someone walk out of a stall, and went right to the door. I said loudly "Really, you are going to be so disgusting as to not wash your hands, and the rest of us have to take the chance of getting your disgusting fecal matter on our hands because you are too busy to wash?" He looked at me with a deer in the headlight look for a second, then washed his hands. You know this is something that happens every time, as it is not something that you forget to do. I want to say it every time I see it, but I would be exhausted if I did. Cannot stand it.

OP: those rude people put you in a tough situation. Either walk away, or have an altercation. I think your choice of the former was best.

I had a similar issue on a cruise a few years ago. I was in the main theatre for a production show of Broadway musical songs. I'm a show tunes junkie, so I was really looking forward to this. I'd even gone early to get a good center seat. When the show began, the woman sitting next to me started singing along with the performer. I could not believe it.

A whispered "shh" from me did nothing, so quietly and politely I said, "Do you realize I can hear you?"

Her: "I don't care."

Me: "This is not a sing-along. Could you please be quiet?"

Her: "This is how I enjoy myself. If you don't like it, move."

It was thus clear that unless I moved, I was going to have a miserable evening. So in the dark, with few open seats to find, I did get up and move. And it took all of my self control not to spill my drink on her as I climbed over her. I could easily have made it seem that I'd tripped over her in the dark, narrow space.

I found a seat on the side, and enjoyed the rest of the evening. But I still remember that woman's absolute rudeness.

Not on a cruise but related sort of . We were on a cruise several years ago that ended in Vancouver .Nearly everyone on our flight to NYC had been on the cruise . We found ourselves seated behind a couple who was on the cruise . The husband sat down on his seat and pushed it back as far as he could nearly crushing my knees .I screamed in pain and his reaction was to push even harder .He then got up to go to the bathroom and his wife took his seat and she pushed the seat back into my knees and again I screamed in pain .I could barely stand and called over the nearest Flight Attendant .She was unable to reason with the people.She was able to find my wife and I other seats on the plane .When we left the plane I confronted the couple and asked why they were so rude and they told me to F-off.

A few days later I was in a restaurant not too far from where I live and this couple was dining there.I came in with friends,pointed to the couple and proceeded to tell my friends about them.I guess they were embarassed because they left immediately.

This couple were Cruise Critic regulars .If they are still posting here they have changed the names they use .

It's unfortunate. This happens all of the time at Rod Stewart's concerts. You pay good money to sit back and enjoy him singing & dancing. However, his concerts brings fanatical fans and all concert long stand, dance and sing along. On many occasions, I've asked them nicely to please sit down-they do, and 5 minutes later they are at it again. I remember, one time he was performing at Caesar's Palace and during the concert (he's a Celtic soccer fanatic) he kicks soccer balls into the crowd and attendees go absolutely wild trying to get those balls. On a couple of occasions seen attendees get hurt going for the balls.

Ps. He's a great entertainer.

I think this is a bit different. At most of the concerts I have to it seems like most people stand.

People who lean their seats back on airplanes are the worst IMO. There is such little space on airplanes these days. I want to lean my seat back and get a good nap, too, but I don't, because I absolutely hate it when the person in front of me does it.

I work in law enforcement as well, and I do not want to engage in an argument with anyone I don't know. I deal with enough domestic disputes at work that I don't have the energy for any sort of dispute or disturbance outside of work.

Inconsiderate people suck. On my last cruise I was shocked one morning that every single lounge chair in the Solarium had a towel and/or a book and not a single person was occupying any of them. From 7am till I left at 9:30 there was no movement! Went back around 11:30 and would you believe NOTHING had moved.

To me this is the MOST inconsiderate thing that people do on the ship because it’s done so deliberately!

What frustrates me even more is that the cruise staff does NOTHING to help or prevent the situation despite their “clear” never enforced policy. (Is it that difficult to pick up an abandoned towel that hasn’t been touched for hours?) so you either get frustrated and walk away or get into a confrontation... either way you lose!

2f3b6eb49779dbb59faa4e85f97ea4a7.jpg188d99226c5faccbbbbce34f5cfc2547.jpg

Great example of cruisers being inconsiderate. I have seen this also.d15cd1ae7797d038ea727df2a99821e2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately rude people are becoming the new norm, you can't fix stupid.

On a positive note, my wife was in a wheelchair due to a recent hospital stay last month when we were on the Harmony and we encountered some of the nicest passenger, holding open elevator doors making way in the Windjammer, etc. With the exception of one JERK, I'll pass on the details.

The elevator shoehorns who decide they can fit onto an already full elevator are the people I feel are rude. When there is no place to move back except too close to someone else and they step onto the three inch space available, I wish an alarm would go off so they would back off and wait for an elevator with space for them.

When an elevator is full, it is full, and additional people should not try to compress everyone else just to avoid waiting for another elevator. It is especially rude if there are two, three or four people who want to squeeze on. It is such a relief if someone gets off on the next floor. I actually should get off.

I hate being trapped on an overly full elevators, but I never say anything to the shoehorn who happily squeezes on. :rolleyes:

Elevator shoehorns. Oh I like that one! :D

I hate being trapped on an overly full elevators, but I never say anything to the shoehorn who happily squeezes on. :rolleyes:

Every elevator I've ever been in has a capacity alarm; if it goes off then someone has to get out. If you want lots of personal space then an elevator may not be the right choice. And, it's quite possible the other person getting in waited longer than those already in the lift and to be polite perhaps others should get out? If someone can squeeze their way in and they're happy to do so then so be it.

As for blocking views, I once had someone ask me to move at Disneyland because I was apparently going to block their view of the fireworks. They were sitting on a low down wall. I didn't move but I did instruct them that they should lean their head back and that by doing so they would be perfectly able to see the fireworks since the display would be high up in the sky; as an alternative I offered that they could stand like just about everyone else (they were obese but not infirm and so to sit was a choice for them that came with consequences that they did not want).

If someone is where they should not be and a show is imminently starting then ask them nicely to move first or if later necessary then change you language to be instructional; finally get staff to do this for you if you're not a person with a natural ability to instruct others. To leave just reinforces that their bad behaviour gets them results (presumably your seats). As an absolute last resort (due to the effort needed) go to a phone and call security to move them - you just need to say something like "they've been acting aggressively and I'm worried this might get out of hand".

Honestly, I think it was a tad rude to go to an event meant to be a participatory game and then sit in the rear and exoect people to leave you a clear view, as if it were a show. Reminds of peopel who line the promenade with chairs and then get angry at people blocking their "view" by dancing in the 70s parties---even though staff are clear that it is a dance party and encouraging people to get up and dance in the middle section.

That said, yes, as in life, there are always some inconsiderate people on cruises. Often we ignore it. Sometimes we politely say something (I often say something to people sittng on stairs---something that is not at all confined to teens/tweens and is dangerous to other stair users--especially in rocky seas and with heels).

I agree that the other cruiser could have said things a little nicer. But as someone else mentioned, you demanding that they move could have been considered rude as well.

If there was no where else for them to watch then really you have no right to tell them to move.

They could have said things nicer and you could have stood up. Things go both ways.

And to the poster who complains about people standing at a concert, please tell me your kidding right? Pretty much everybody stands at concerts.

I don't believe I said, "I demanded them to move'. I believe I said I, at first, politely asked them to move, and then, when I went over, I again just asked them to mover. I would never demand unless I was ready to fight.

Cheers

Len

I am 71 and my DW a few years younger, though she still looks 25 to me, but I can agree with you 100%. This isn't a knock on the younger generations, but more a society thing these days.

My DW 'dragged' me to the mall on Black Friday. Forget consideration, people are animals, but, you know, the worst part, people just stand around, middle of aisles, just texting on their phones, so don't get me started on that. :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

When we go to a show in the large theaters, we just sit first row, center stage. Most people don’t want sit there because they feel exposed. No one will stand in front of you there.

Funny story for the Rod Stewart concert folks: My daughter and I went to a Billy Joel concert in Pittsburgh. We were only able to afford last row, behind the stage. When we get there, his piano is on a turning stage. After a while we realized that no one was behind us and there was a table behind us for standing room only sports games. We stood there and danced and didn’t impair anyone’s view. We felt we had the best seats in the house.

I agree with you but sometimes the opposite happens when there is lots of room in the lift and some people refuse to move further in to let anyone else into the lift.

Could not agree more. Lack of elevator etiquette by some folks is just crazy!