Shorts in dining room

tommy

Time and again, we have seen many posts quoting the dress code and never have I read shorts permitted in t he MDR first night. I cannot say if anyone has worn shorts, on any of my cruises first night to MDR as I truly do not care enough to scan tables in my area to see if people dressed with some compliance. or not. I wear what I think appropriate and that is all of my concern in the matter. In the whole scheme of today's world, , what is the big deal? North Korea shot off another missle today,THAT is my idea of a Big Deal

I do hope people have enough self respect as well as respect for those around them, to use a bit of good judgment in choosing their 'outift'.

I'm surprised to see posts saying it's ok. I thought it was a no no period no matter what night.

BTW: is your luggage doesn't come in time for dinner there is always the buffet or room service if you aren't able to dress appropriately.

So if HAL doesn't get the luggage to someone in a timely manner, those passengers should eat in the Lido on the first evening?

For the record, we carry on something "good enough" for dinner in the dining room, but not everyone has that ability. Not everyone can manage a biggish carry on, along with medical and assistive devices, on their own.

So if HAL doesn't get the luggage to someone in a timely manner, those passengers should eat in the Lido on the first evening? .

Exactly. The lack of common sense on these boards is astounding sometimes.

OP - The answer is yes. Ignore the busybodies on this thread.

I always wear attire for boarding that complies with the particular cruise lines dress code - usually nice jeans/slacks, a short sleeve collard shirt and leather slip-ons. I then put my swimsuit, a tee-shirt and flip flops in my carry-on (along with a hat and sunscreen) just in case I want to use the pool or be outdoors in the warmer temps. This way no matter what I can enjoy boarding day and not stress over if I have appropriate dinner attire, if bags are delayed for some reason, or if I am having too much fun to take time out to unpack before dinner :)

Exactly. The lack of common sense on these boards is astounding sometimes.

OP - The answer is yes. Ignore the busybodies on this thread.

I don't think "busybodies" is a fair assessment. I think "unthinking" is closer.

IMHO, the people who are saying it is not permitted live charmed lives and have always had their luggage well before dinner ;)

I suspect those same people would be terribly offended if they were refused entry to the dining room because they were in shorts due to their luggage not being delivered in time to change for dinner.

Not everyone can empathize with another person's situation until they too have been in a similar situation.

I always wear attire for boarding that complies with the particular cruise lines dress code - usually nice jeans/slacks, a short sleeve collard shirt and leather slip-ons. I then put my swimsuit, a tee-shirt and flip flops in my carry-on (along with a hat and sunscreen) just in case I want to use the pool or be outdoors in the warmer temps. This way no matter what I can enjoy boarding day and not stress over if I have appropriate dinner attire, if bags are delayed for some reason, or if I am having too much fun to take time out to unpack before dinner :)

I do as well. It doesn't seem like a difficult thing. No need to carry anything " heavy" if you can't manage it.

As the thread has already been derailed, I thought I would post a little bit of info for those who insist that luggage always arrives well before dinner (thereby ignoring the OP's actual question):

On our cruise on the NA in April, we got our luggage quite late, after 5pm. We have late dining, so no issue there. Prior to the muster drill and shortly thereafter, I checked the elevator lobby several times to see if the cases were there, but there was no luggage at all. Eventually when 2 of ours were delivered to the cabin (the 3rd arrived later still), I told the steward I had been checking to see if they had come up, and he responded that they had changed the system for delivery of luggage, and it now takes a lot longer. Now, I don't know if this was fleet-wide or just on the NA, but it has bearing on the arguments posted here.

As the thread has already been derailed, I thought I would post a little bit of info for those who insist that luggage always arrives well before dinner (thereby ignoring the OP's actual question):

On our cruise on the NA in April, we got our luggage quite late, after 5pm. We have late dining, so no issue there. Prior to the muster drill and shortly thereafter, I checked the elevator lobby several times to see if the cases were there, but there was no luggage at all. Eventually when 2 of ours were delivered to the cabin (the 3rd arrived later still), I told the steward I had been checking to see if they had come up, and he responded that they had changed the system for delivery of luggage, and it now takes a lot longer. Now, I don't know if this was fleet-wide or just on the NA, but it has bearing on the arguments posted here.

I agree with you Lizzie on this issue!

Denise:)

Really...in the grand scheme of things this is pretty insignificant. One has to wonder about cruisers who get wrapped around the axle over something this minor.

The world is hardly going to end because someone wears shorts on the first night in the MDR ....for whatever reason.

Wear the shorts if your luggage doesn't arrive.

If it DOES arrive and you wear them anyway, please let us know, as it will confirm that half of this thread was pointless.

Apparently the maitre d' is often flexible and there's only a slight risk of being denied on the first night. However, if you really want to eat in the MDR on the first night, and wearing slacks/trousers at embarkation doesn't cause you distress, wearing them is the obvious course of action. 🙂

Yes, you can wear shorts, but you must gallop at a quick pace when entering the dining room as to minimize the unsightly viewing of your hairy legs, and then quickly sit and hide them under the tablecloth so nobody knows.

Women are always welcome to show their legs...it is the natural order of things.

I guess the next question we can expect is: Are bathrobes or pj's allowed in the dining room? I sent all my clothing out ( both outfits that I brought in my carry on for my 30 day cruise) to the laundry and they didn't come back yet.

NOTE: I copied the info below directly from HAL's website under "Guest attire"

Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

BTW: is your luggage doesn't come in time for dinner there is always the buffet or room service if you aren't able to dress appropriately.

I guess the fact that NO SHORTS in the dining room at dinner, which I took right off HAL's website isn't good enough for some people! There should not be any questions about if shorts are allowed in the dining room. They are not. (period)

You know.. what’s wrong with shorts in the dining room ( in HALs mind)?.

There ARE dressy shorts and paired with a nice shirt and shoes are very stylish and “in”. In fact, the overall look is very dressy.

I’m not talking denim or your standard run of the mill shorts but those in crepe, lace, or such.

HAL allows jeans now.. because I would guess they consider them fashionable.. but so are dressy shorts for the ladies .

My musings, to make it clear , is not ARE they allowed ( I know they aren’t) but why aren’t they allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These are the correct answers to the question. And like CB said, they allow it on night 1 because there can be luggage delays. I'm sure the OP knows the rules beyond night 1, hence the question, so the lectures aren't necessary.

And to answer those who imply luggage is always timely because they haven't had issues, on my past Koningsdam cruise, they were still delivering luggage at 5 pm. Early seating was 5:15. Many people did not have their luggage in time.

Thank You I asked a simple question and everyone jumped all over me Our luggage has been delayed several times Why do people care so much about what other people wear?

Thank You I asked a simple question and everyone jumped all over me Our luggage has been delayed several times Why do people care so much about what other people wear?

Welcome to the Holland America boards. I know dress code threads exist on the Princess boards too but over here, folks seem to be much less tolerant of unusual circumstances. Bottom line, if your luggage doesn't arrive in time, go eat in the MDR in your shorts and don't worry about what the Cruise Critic dress police say. ;)

There ARE dressy shorts and paired with a nice shirt and shoes are very stylish and “in”. In fact, the overall look is very dressy.

I’m not talking denim or your standard run of the mill shorts but those in crepe, lace, or such.

HAL allows jeans now.. because I would guess they consider them fashionable.. but so are dressy shorts for the ladies .

My musings, to make it clear , is not ARE they allowed ( I know they aren’t) but why aren’t they allowed?

IN my humble opinion they are not allowed because if you allow shorts then men and women will come in with bathing suit bottoms. And then what goes with them, you got it the tops and then hay the question will be asked why not boxer shorts and tank tops, Just yesterday (not on a cruise) I saw a man entering a store in his boxer shorts, yes you read that right BOXER SHORTS. How long will it be before that happens? If HAL says no shorts it covers a lot of "shorts"! I am sure the time will come when the only thing that hal has on their website is. "Please keep private parts private"! And let it go at that!!!

I agree with the others, you should have your luggage long before dinner. In fact, you should have it a couple of hours after you board if all is working properly.

We normally get our luggage before muster drill, but a couple of times we did not. Once it was just before dinner, so it is possible not to have your change of clothing not there for you.

Although, we usually dress fairly nicely for boarding, so not an issue anyway. Of course we normally arrive and stay nearby the night before.

We normally get our luggage before muster drill, but a couple of times we did not. Once it was just before dinner, so it is possible not to have your change of clothing not there for you.

If OP can anticipate the problem, then OP can anticipate the solution: wear something within the guidelines for the dining room, or don't go to the dining room.

The guidelines are clear. Yet it seems that no matter how low HAL sets the bar, people clamor to push it lower.

If OP can anticipate the problem, then OP can anticipate the solution: wear something within the guidelines for the dining room, or don't go to the dining room.

The guidelines are clear. Yet it seems that no matter how low HAL sets the bar, people clamor to push it lower.

True and its been a problem for a long time. Years ago we went to a "casual Friday" and each week the people kept lowering the bar until I had to call a halt to the whole thing!

Well said. There can always be a “reason” for being unable to comply with a dress code. It is not as though someone will starve because they are asked to dine elsewhere.

This is how it started on Carnival! "Dress Shorts and Pullover with Collar" are acceptable. The next thing men were wearing spandex shorts, "run of the mill" shorts, etc. Then the Pullover with Collar was replaced by "Wife Beater" Tee Shirts and Tee Shirts. After a couple of years of that the Linen was removed from the Tables! I guess they feel why bother to have Linen on tables in the MDR when people are dressed as if they are on Lido or hanging by the Pool!

With the comments I'm seeing posted in the last year on Social Media sites and some of the "sights" I've seen lately on how Cruisers are dressing on the Ships in the MDR I think HAL will follow suit and be another Carnival in a couple of years!

Yes, you can wear shorts, but you must gallop at a quick pace when entering the dining room as to minimize the unsightly viewing of your hairy legs, and then quickly sit and hide them under the tablecloth so nobody knows.

Women are always welcome to show their legs...it is the natural order of things.

Love this post!