Antarctica Live On Board

galeforce9

We ended up leaving Ushuaia just before 22:00 and arrived on Monday at lunchtime. Remarkably, all tours were able to go although some were abbreviated. We extended our stay until after midnight in order to accommodate some 50 guests on the tour to Torres del Paine, and I heard from several that they enjoyed it very much.  Kudos to the Destinations Team for scrambling to get everything rescheduled. 

We we are due into Castro today at noon. Fletcher, thanks for the walking tip. DH and I were fortunate enough to make this trip on the 2013 Inagural Antarctica Holiday Cruise, and I remember enjoying a walkabout and a nice lunch here.

IMHO - having done the Holiday Antarctica from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires in 2013 and the current Holiday Cruise from Buenos Aires to San Antonio, I think we preferred the itinerary departing from Chile and arriving in Argentina. It seems like the anticipation and viewing of scenery from the Chilean salmon farms, to fjords and Patagonia, to the dreaded Drake Passage, to icebergs, to the magic of Antarctica and its scenery and wildlife builds to a climax of the spectacular experience of South Georgia.  Departing from Buenos Aires, the highlight of South Georgia is the first wildlife experience and everything else, while also magical and amazing, doesn’t quite compare to the South Georgia experience. That said, the Expedition Teams on both cruises were spectacular and we we would recommend either itinerary; we just personally prefer Chile - Argentina. The first few years did not include kayaks, and we think that addition created a whole new dimension and appreciation of the experience.  There are many sea days on this itinerary and provisions are a challenge, yet the crew continue to perform their jobs brilliantly.  Kudos to Seabourn once again. 

2 hours ago, medroots said:

IMHO - having done the Holiday Antarctica from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires in 2013 and the current Holiday Cruise from Buenos Aires to San Antonio, I think we preferred the itinerary departing from Chile and arriving in Argentina. It seems like the anticipation and viewing of scenery from the Chilean salmon farms, to fjords and Patagonia, to the dreaded Drake Passage, to icebergs, to the magic of Antarctica and its scenery and wildlife builds to a climax of the spectacular experience of South Georgia.  Departing from Buenos Aires, the highlight of South Georgia is the first wildlife experience and everything else, while also magical and amazing, doesn’t quite compare to the South Georgia experience.

Good to hear from you, Medroots.  I agree with absolutely everything you say in my quote of yours above.  We thought this when we completed our trip in BA a year ago - the reverse direction would begin in climax and end in, well, not so climactic.  It might be a detail but an important one.  Seabourn will be starting in BA again next December.

Delighted to hear the Torres del Paine excursion went ahead - as you say, the Seabourn team really do go the extra mile.

Edited by Fletcher

16 hours ago, marchanxiety said:

Tomorrow morning we fly out to Santiago to start our great adventure. If I hadn't read the great accounts on this board we wouldn't even have considered doing it.  If I can't post during the trip, I'll try to  give a summary when we return.

Great news.  Any updates very much appreciated 

• 2 weeks later...

Question for you experienced Antarctica sailors -- How good is the climate control inside the ship?  Specifically, is the ship cold and drafty in the dining areas?  I'm trying to determine if I'll need warm/winter weight dinner clothes or if a normal weight blouse and pants will be warm enough for dinner.  My cocktail dress is sleeveless and I'll bring a shawl but will this be sufficient? 

Also, we know that tipping generally isn't required but would you tip the expedition staff.  If so, how much?  What about the guides on excursions?  Again, how much is appropriate?

Thanks very much for providing us with the benefit of your experience!  

Edited by maxla
Added additional questions

We are currently on board the Quest in Antarctica

Captain Golubev is at the helm.  He has done a superior job delivering what we came for and more - check out my blog on this page.

The Climate control is fairly good.  A shawl with a sleeveless dress in the dining room should work. When it is really cold and windy out standing near the windows in our suite we can feel it - it gets warmer with the drapes closed but we are quite comfortable. 

I don’t have a clue on tipping.  Maybe others do.

Edited by arzz

On 1/27/2019 at 2:46 AM, maxla said:

Also, we know that tipping generally isn't required but would you tip the expedition staff.  If so, how much?  What about the guides on excursions?  Again, how much is appropriate?

For all excursions operated by the expedition team you DO NOT tip anyone.  They would consider it an insult.  For other excursions such as trips in Chile some people might want to tip the local guides.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Fletcher said:

On the official Seabourn blog of the current cruise - day 7 - there is a simply astonishing photograph of the Quest reflected at sunset on a giant iceberg.  I've never seen a photo quite like that before.

https://my.yb.tl/seabournexpeditions/

Wow, thank you for the heads up on that one Fletcher, amazing shot.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find a way to save those shots, but here’s a screenshot of it blown up

45795A48-E44C-4FBC-8B26-725A58354360.jpeg

This is fascinating to read. I am planning an Antarctica trip for January 2020- but on SS. I already did the Santiago- BA cruise, and I just wanted Antarctica- and SB wasn't doing that at the present time- I tried to book that on my recent SB cruise to Caribbean -maybe on the new expedition ship in the future.

Is it especially nice to have a balcony on the Antarctica part of the cruise- I have the option of a SS vista suite window or a balcony (for quite a bit more money)- but  Didn't really use the balcony much on my Alaska cruise- enjoyed the more panoramic view from the decks.

Love all the pictures posted - bought a new Go-Pro for my husband- hopefully that will result in good pictures,too

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Is there a relaxed dress code on the sailings to Antarctica ?

Not sure what you mean by "relaxed" dress code.  Seabourn is pretty relaxed with even on Formal Optional nites, only requirement is for gentlemen to wear a jacket and that is only in the main dining room.  Have been to Antarctica on Seabourn as well as several other Seabourn cruises and didn't notice any difference.  Formal Optional is only once per week and while in Antarctica waters we did not have  a formal optional nite.  IMHO Seaburn is quite easy with their dress code.  Have not and will not bring a tie on any previous of future Seabourn cruises.

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I’ve never cruised Seabourn. Is a dark suit good for formal nights in Antarctica?  Is a collared shirt and khakis good on other nights or to walk around on other nights?

No need for even the suit; a jacket is the only requirement and only on formal optional nites and only in the main dining room.  The rest of the ship and other dining areas are casual where your collared shirt and khakis are just fine.

• Like 1

We just did the Antarctica cruise on the Quest three weeks ago. There were three formal optional nights. As others have said, only a jacket is required, no need for a suit. My DH wore a navy blazer with slacks and a tie. A tie was not required, but he wanted an excuse to wear his new one.